What's new

Why are Injustice players so bad at whiff punishing?

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
Throw immune normals make that no good.
It's not like you're going for a throw right when he starts his chain, you do it on reaction, it will end when you grab him.
Still got a long long way to go, so it's just a theory, but you can always cancel the WC and full combo wiff-punish.

There are many normals with good Hitbox compared to their Hurtbox, for instance Grundy's F1 is a horrible wiff punish, but his 2 is wonderful for wiff punishing. And it's not only Grundy, the comunity has to start checking these features too, don't you think?

haketh

Noob
Yeah I noticed this playing online, alot of whiff punishes from my opponents just went by free. It's weird because Ares has great options with trait, B13, and 22. The crappy walk speeds do play a part in it. IN SFIV alot of whiffs happen because people are forcing them with back walks but in this game walking back isn't that great for most characters so you gotta hope people mess up. Something I'm working on myself.

The foundation of my MUs are based on whiff punishing with Flash so do not blanket statement. That being said the reason you see it less prominent in this game could be because of the following reasons.

1. Attack chains are not dependent on connecting which means you have to react to a poke being 1 hit or 2 hit or 3 hit chain.
2. Many characters simply do not have the right walkspeed/range to efficiently whiff punish.
3. Establishing MU specific instances to do this type of punish takes time.
4. A lot of the community plays online to test match ups, the delay makes this strategy less likely to be used unless it is a clearly long delay on the move being punished.

Yes, it should and is a focus of higher level play. It will be a method just like abusing trip guard more. A select few are taking advantage but it will proliferate. I did not play high level mk but watching matches it did not seem like a focal point of mu strategy in those games I watched.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i cant tell you how fucking tired of these threads i am. "Why are IGAU players crybabies/scrubs/ragequitters/bad at X/not supporting IGAU/worse tha Capcom"

daily occurance

"Why are people different from each other? Why are there varying levels of skill? Why are there different ethnicities to my own? Why do people have a different favorite colour than me? WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DONT LIKE?"

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
If you played in an offline clan or with people better than you all the time like I do you'd be asking yourself why everyone is better at the game than yourself.

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
i cant tell you how fucking tired of these threads i am. "Why are IGAU players crybabies/scrubs/ragequitters/bad at X/not supporting IGAU/worse tha Capcom"

daily occurance

"Why are people different from each other? Why are there varying levels of skill? Why are there different ethnicities to my own? Why do people have a different favorite colour than me? WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DONT LIKE?"
Dude, I'm pretty sure it's more of "People, I think we all missed something here, let's all get better" thread

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Some moves in this game have insane recovery...others don't. Wonder womans f23 seems to have instant recovery on whiff.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I also struggle with whiff punishing. I noticed early on in the game that it is totally different from mk9....I think its due to the lack of dash cancels or the long dashes in general.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Not everyone has Fast advancing normal strings, or Ravens squeeze to wiff punish shit, (superman F23, GL B1, WW B2)

you cant cancel outta Forward dash into normals or anything.

I like Harolds number 1 and 2 points as well, lots of times the person can just keep dialing in the string and if you try to wiff punish you will eat it into full combo, so why not block.

The bigger question is, Why don't people punish shit on block? And the answer to that is 95% of the shit in this game is either safe or + on block, which is fuckin stupid.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Depends on the character. Some characters do it really easily while others dont.

I do agree with the dashing forward though, no idea why people just sit there and let them whiff.

The Krish360

Absolute Scrub
It's the fear factor for some characters. They're not sure if their whiff punishing move will hit or miss. Or maybe the opponent's string will hit them while attempting to punish. It's not as easy as Batman using bats or Supes F23 or Aquaman's range. For some characters it's a real dillema.

omg stop being a bunch of fairies. If you feel butthurt because you feel targeted by the title of this thread chances are you are one of those players who needs to level up. Stop crying it's a legit thread and an interesting discussion that is good for everyone.

why do people make stupid threads over-generalizing this community so much
Of course I'm going to generalize I'm not going to say "Hey did you notice these guys, Wonder Chef and these top players suck at whiff punishing". I generalize because it's a general thing that is obviously noticeable in tournament streams for this game. Many players != all players.

EDIT: But maybe a mod should rename the thread "Why are so many Injustice players so bad at whiff punishing?" That would be better I guess..

Espio

Kokomo
I like whiff punishing with Hawkgirl's back 2, 3 and other strings. Whiff punishing is a big part of my game, I also like using wing evade 3 to whiff punish etc.

I was whiff punishing in MK9 with almost 30 frame strings so doing it in this game never really bothered me that much it came somewhat easy I guess.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
One mechanic in the game I actually just discovered yesterday is on a completely whiffed string, the opponent CANNOT cancel into a special move. Where as on block or hit they can, personally I rarely punish for fear of a cancel into a special, which I now know can't happen, but also while some characters have obvious punishing tools for every situation, some characters have to be trickier about their punishes and experiment, what move attacks low, or what move is fastest/ furthest reach, what is comboable in that situation. But then that comes down to knowing your character inside an out

RYX

BIG PUSHER
One mechanic in the game I actually just discovered yesterday is on a completely whiffed string, the opponent CANNOT cancel into a special move. Where as on block or hit they can, personally I rarely punish for fear of a cancel into a special, which I now know can't happen, but also while some characters have obvious punishing tools for every situation, some characters have to be trickier about their punishes and experiment, what move attacks low, or what move is fastest/ furthest reach, what is comboable in that situation. But then that comes down to knowing your character inside an out
Unless you're Zod