What's new

Whose alternate costume do you think we've seen?

Skinnymac is great and honestly I've been asking NRS to make him slimmer because the idea of a skinny guy who fights with magic has always been badass to me.

If most people had telekinesis they wouldn't bother even looking at weights lol. You sure as hell can't tell me some being made up of souls who lives only to serve cares about how he physically appeers to others.

Not to mention I never considered Ermac a man to begin with because surely some of his souls in him are from female warriors. I always looked at him as a being of souls and magic not as a person anyway.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I hope he didn't mean that different variations counted as alts. Such as a buzz saw hat or tron hat counting as 2 different costumes. Other than that I would speculate the alts in the comic books are the ones he was referring to.

Obviously Kitana and Kung Lao are in their second outfits.

The story mode will start shortly after MK9, when those two will be dead. Quan Chi will revive them to fight for him in the Neatherrealm War mentioned in the comics, with new outfits covered in spikes and skulls and evil shit. Maybe they'll still be zombies. Then inevitably Shinnok is defeated and the dead characters are revived, then in the 25 years later portion of the story, they appear as we've seen them as living aged human good guys instead of zombies under Quan Chi's control.

Sub and Kano.
Sub could have the maskless costume like in the comic(obvious because the scar is not on masked sub)
Kano because he looks young... But that could mean he doesn't make it :,(

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Kitana is in her alternate because Kitana is actually Mileena.

She is impersonating Kitana to become Queen of Edenia (or some other twisted reason). Kitana is in fact, still dead.

*cue Kitana loyalist shitstorm*

Dark

Noob
Kitana, Kung Lao, Ermac, MAYBE Scorpion as hanzo, but I don't think they'd not have Scorpions signature costume as his main one

Edit: Yeah looks like it's just Reptile, different costume on select screen mugshot

Guys, even though nothing is finalized, I'm sure any sort of variation in costume design within the variations of any character, will be minimal. Look at this collage of images I made, and you will see that every character so far has a base model for the most part. With a few key differences to distinguish their fighting variation. This is what Tyler probably means when he says characters are already wearing their alternate.

While uncertain, the lack of true alternate costumes probably has something to do with gameplay, and trying not to confuse players with the fighting variation visual cues present. I pointed this out in the 'MKX Art Direction' thread. http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-art-direction.48040/#post-1566658

Dark

Noob
Guys, even though nothing is finalized, I'm sure any sort of variation in costume design within the variations of any character, will be minimal. Look at this collage of images I made, and you will see that every character so far has a base model for the most part. With a few key differences to distinguish their fighting variation. This is what Tyler probably means when he says characters are already wearing their alternate.

While uncertain, the lack of true alternate costumes probably has something to do with gameplay, and trying not to confuse players with the fighting variation visual cues present. I pointed this out in the 'MKX Art Direction' thread. http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-art-direction.48040/#post-1566658
There's a reason the variation differences are so minimal. It's so they can be done with different costumes the same way. They've specifically said that they considered having a completely different costume for each variation, but decided instead to have minimal differences so you aren't restricted to costumes based on variation, and so you can use more alternates. If anyone remembers the interview this was said in, please help me out. And Tyler meaning that by what he said would just be a total dick thing to do, since that doesn't really answer the question and would make people think there will be.

There's a reason the variation differences are so minimal. It's so they can be done with different costumes the same way. They've specifically said that they considered having a completely different costume for each variation, but decided instead to have minimal differences so you aren't restricted to costumes based on variation, and so you can use more alternates. If anyone remembers the interview this was said in, please help me out. And Tyler meaning that by what he said would just be a total dick thing to do, since that doesn't really answer the question and would make people think there will be.
I really hope that is the case. Not having alternates would be really boring. And yeah, I can only say that would be a dick move if his intentions were to try and deceive us.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
*mod removed comment as it pertains to something he is carving out of this thread like a cancer*-shaowebb

They need to lose that obnoxious mask and just give him ice mist around his body instead.

Last edited by a moderator: