What's new

Question Who still plays Raiden seriously?

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
EDIT: It also just popped into my head, what about after a 1212~teleport on hit? 1212~teleport is +4 on hit so it would really give them 11 frames to interrupt still... if they are expecting it. I can see them blocking it every time though because there's no reason to block low unless they are trying to block a d4. I guess you'd REALLY have to be throwing d4's out to condition them to block low AND they have to be scared to hit a button after 1212~teleport hits since d1 would interrupt it.
I have been abusing 1212 teleport for like 6 months now and I still haven't been blown up for it, even though it's minus 6 and your left right next to them without the option of teleporting, I don't get it at all and I've been trying to get out of the habit but sometimes I do it just because it's the safest option off 1212. On hit I always go into f23/4 or I'll take the basically free throw.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I have been abusing 1212 teleport for like 6 months now and I still haven't been blown up for it, even though it's minus 6 and your left right next to them without the option of teleporting, I don't get it at all and I've been trying to get out of the habit but sometimes I do it just because it's the safest option off 1212. On hit I always go into f23/4 or I'll take the basically free throw.
Yeah I use 1212~tele all the time. I've never been punished for it either except there's been a reptile or two who have been able to get a dash in, but I don't think they knew... I think they were just dashing because they see a teleport.

1212 is a great string to use in neutral situations. It's the only string that can hit them when they try to cross you up. It doesn't combo into anything but I think you can cut it short and do a 121~superman if you notice what's going on. Whenever I use f2 after vicinity blast, a crossup will absolutely blow that up. 12 frames is too long, but it's basically a 50/50. If they stay and hold block, you can still apply pressure. But obviously if they have a normal that's faster than 12 frames they can beat you out, but if you read that you can teleport and try to punish or apply pressure.

Another thing I do sometimes when they try to crossup in a neutral situation is to just throw out a d1~vb. It will catch them in the air and you can dash in and shocker and finish out your combo. I think it works in -1 situations as well, but I'd want to try it a few times before I say for sure that it works 100% of the time.

NKZero

Noob
Raiden imo is still top 5 but unlike a Sonya, Kabal or Kenshi he doesn't really have abusable safe tools. He is harder to win with and that is why he appears to be mid-tier which is where most people have placed him.

I only picked him up recently with the sole intention of trying to hopefully show people just how good he is if played the right way. He is really hard to master though so respect to all day 1 Raiden players lol...

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I plan on putting some hard time into Raiden in july and making him my second. Nearly everyone is sleeping on Raiden and I think he still has a lot of potential.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I've played Raiden since the game's release, and still do to this day, no matter what nerfs he was given.

Chaosphere, I might have an offer for you that could be of interest. Please feel free to shoot me a private message for information.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
I've only practiced in training mode using F4 to stuff some wakeups and get a pretty small combo off of it. I haven't tested against everyone, though. And it's risky and requires the right timing after a knockdown.

That's the only time I've used it intentionally. I'm not sure how well it'd work in a real match either.

Slade

Make It Rain
I swear, it seems like one week I'm hearin people say he's top 5, the next week he's not even top 10, the next week he's top 5 again, etc... lol...

Aidan

The Marvelous Meter Man
I think theoretically (teleporting between 2 frame gaps consistently and what not) he is easily top 5. Realistically, he is either top 10 or just outside of it.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
So what do you guys do after a blocked vicinity blast? What are your most successful options?
I usually do D3/4U {d3 or d4 into teleport} and either go into another poke or do any of the following: B31, 33(4), F23, 22, and 121(2) or F24 (though I often forget these). I try to keep pressure by either cancelling into TP, VB, or Enhanced Lighting ball (this is the one I use least..).

But if the person is in the corner, I have a habit of using a random combination of: d3/4, B31, 33(4), 22 into VB to try and keep pressure on my opponent. At times, I do teleport and jump over and have been able combo them.
------------------------------------------
Most often, I use:

D3/4U, D3/4, B31(sometimes I put 2 in and get punished)~VB or TP, 33~VB or TP (I poke and try catch the opponent with Electric Fly)

Other things I do to kinda mix things up are: jump over punch, 22B4 and dash block or jump away (into Electric Fly).

----

Works for me against most of the people I've fought, and I guess it could be seen as riskier since I like to be more aggressive when playing my characters. But I have a few bad habits playing like that.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
back dash whiff punish, bait a poke and counter poke it
Outside of teleporting out of blocked strings, I think Raiden's biggest tool is his backdash whiff punishing. It is absolutely awesome. You basically just have to choose between that or backdashing and waiting for an anti-air. But then you have more options... such as teleport, armor, cross-up, whatever else. Raiden has so many options here that it's not hard to keep your opponent in a COMPLETE guessing game.

now that my defense is strong and i realized that i can counter-poke really well offline i think i can make raiden work, i also realized a few ways to blow people up for even attempting strings