What's new

Question Who still plays Raiden seriously?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
So I kind of took some time off from TYM for awhile since I had been so busy with my new job. Things have settled down and I've been spending more time on here. One thing I'm slightly disgruntled about is how dead the Raiden forums are.

So my question is who is seriously still playing Raiden? Who is still dedicated to exploring this character to his fullest potential? I know bwizz still plays Raiden but I don't know how much anymore. I don't know if PL is still playing Raiden or not. But either way, I'd like to maybe setup a skype session with a few of us serious raien players to discuss tech, different strings and when they're useful, specific character tech, etc.

Any of you Raiden players who would like to discuss some raiden hit me up. It's always awesome to find out how other players think to get some matchup perspective and just some things to do in specific situations that you normally wouldn't think of yourself.

Also, my biggest problem is how shit people think Raiden is now. First there was the "Raiden is obviously number 1 god tier" shenanigans... which quickly turned into "Raiden is shit because you can punish naked teleport and 2 of his main strings" and it has stayed that way. I think the tools Raiden has COULD make him number 1 but since he doesn't have a small hitbox that sets him back just because it allows certain characters to implement tools that are pretty effective, but don't work on small hitbox characters... so we have to deal with more than the average top tier character. But so what? Raiden has the ability to teleport out of block strings. No other character can do this for free and without taking damage. I'm dedicated to showing how ridiculous Raiden can be if played properly. Anyone else out there like-minded? Let's build up this raiden community.

Aidan

The Marvelous Meter Man
I've been doing what I can, but I don't know what I can do anymore. This should become the raiden general discussion thread, or make one because it's essential to the growth of the raiden community and I don't want to have to make a new thread every time I find something.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Raiden has the ability to teleport out of block strings. No other character can do this for free and without taking damage.
This. Raiden is a lot like Shang Tsung in that his potential builds up at a slow boil: it takes a lot of dedication and time to learn to use all of his tools (with Shang, because soul steal is his only good wakeup, he needs to learn to use pretty much every character effectively). Because of this, a lot of people say "oh yea, this character sucks" and immediately move on to more immediate high tier characters. I have a feeling, though, that years down the line, Raiden will be bumped up to S tier and will be able to hang with almost everyone.

As for people still playing Raiden? GamerBlake90 aka Crazy_Blake_88 mains Raiden and has a ton of videos on his stream. Check out his stuff at http://www.twitch.tv/gamerblake90 . Tom Brady picked up Raiden for a hot minute then went back to Sub Zero. BWizz is still playing Raiden, but recently vented about how nerfed Raiden is.

I'm dedicated to showing how ridiculous Raiden can be if played properly. Anyone else out there like-minded? Let's build up this raiden community.
THANK YOU. We need more people with dedication and less Kabal circlejerking.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I'm playing Raiden till I die, and news flash people crying about how bad Raiden is and how good and OP he use to be... He is BETTER now... EX tele gives him far supperior mind games then he had before, Raiden forum is turning into Reptile forum...

Aidan

The Marvelous Meter Man
I've been checking kabal's 111/b4 string and I think you can teleport in between 11. 11 has a cancel advantage of +14 and 1 has execution of 16 and b4 is 17. So you technically have 2 frames for 1 and 3 frames for b4 to teleport out of and raiden only needs a 2 frame gap to escape. Thoughts?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I would love to use Raiden to his full potential, but it does take a lot of work. The fact he can teleport out of blocked strings shows he has a ton of potential. I'm still working on raiden, but not as much.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Technically, yes that's awesome. Realistically, you better practice that before you try and use it in a tournament match. But yes those are the types of things we need to master to gain respect in this community.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've been checking kabal's 111/b4 string and I think you can teleport in between 11. 11 has a cancel advantage of +14 and 1 has execution of 16 and b4 is 17. So you technically have 2 frames for 1 and 3 frames for b4 to teleport out of and raiden only needs a 2 frame gap to escape. Thoughts?
If you're crouch blocking just do 121shocker

Aidan

The Marvelous Meter Man
Technically, yes that's awesome. Realistically, you better practice that before you try and use it in a tournament match. But yes those are the types of things we need to master to gain respect in this community.
The fact that he can even do it is amazing

Raiden is good online offline hes strings are punishable and hes teleport on read makes him eat full combos hes not as viable now that sooo many stuf got discovered

I Play Raiden since mk1,I very like the thunder god and i think is not shit,Raiden have a great potential and he is FOR SURE one of the best characther ok mk9....he have so many tools to beat all roster...raiden is fucking great...people have forget his real power and call him shit for (b312,334)lol this is ridiculous....i dedicate so much time and i try every day to become better....and i think Raiden still top 5.....LONG LIVE RAIDEN

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Raiden is good online offline hes strings are punishable and hes teleport on read makes him eat full combos hes not as viable now that sooo many stuf got discovered
Everything in the game on read is punishable pretty much. That's not an excuse. So 2 of his strings can be armored through... well... just replace the last hit of the string with teleport and you get a full combo punish if they try to armor out. What now?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
If you're crouch blocking just do 121shocker
Can you clarify? Is that to make it whiff and the 121~shocker is a whiff punish? Or do you mean in the middle of his NDC pressure? Pretty sure you can 121~shocker in the middle of all of the NDC strings except for 2~NDC and 111~NDC.

Everything in the game on read is punishable pretty much. That's not an excuse. So 2 of his strings can be armored through... well... just replace the last hit of the string with teleport and you get a full combo punish if they try to armor out. What now?
This also works better online than offline if people get predictable.. I main Kitana so y just poke out even on teleport I can block after a d3 or d1 depending on string and if he gets caught in the teleport its combo punish.

REYTHEGREAT

I play raiden. I have noticed that in some matches you need to play raiden with patience. He's all mind games.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Can you clarify? Is that to make it whiff and the 121~shocker is a whiff punish? Or do you mean in the middle of his NDC pressure? Pretty sure you can 121~shocker in the middle of all of the NDC strings except for 2~NDC and 111~NDC.
Im talking about 111, nothing to do with ndc.

Its the same as punishing Jax Sektor or Sonya strings

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Doesnt matter, just the fact that you can interupt it matters.
Yeah, either way it's good to know all of your options. I would go for just armoring or teleporting between the 2nd and 3rd hit since it works every time and I don't have to try to assess whether or not im jailed or not jailed before i let go of block and try an interrupt. It's the smartest thing to do.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ok, here's another talking point. When is a good time to use f4? That's one thing I don't throw into my game enough. It seems when I do actually use it... it's at the wrong times and I get blown up for it.

What are some decent mixups/strategies revolving around f4?

CJKRattlehead

Ok, here's another talking point. When is a good time to use f4? That's one thing I don't throw into my game enough. It seems when I do actually use it... it's at the wrong times and I get blown up for it.

What are some decent mixups/strategies revolving around f4?
F4 is terrible, It's way too slow and has almost no pushback, I wouldn't use it unless you know someone won't expect it.

CJKRattlehead

I Play Raiden since mk1,I very like the thunder god and i think is not shit,Raiden have a great potential and he is FOR SURE one of the best characther ok mk9....he have so many tools to beat all roster...raiden is fucking great...people have forget his real power and call him shit for (b312,334)lol this is ridiculous....i dedicate so much time and i try every day to become better....and i think Raiden still top 5.....LONG LIVE RAIDEN
I'm sorry but calling Raiden top 5 is absolutely delusional. His normals are not very good and teleport isn't enough. In many matches you have to make much more reads than your opponent to win. He is good, but putting him on the same level as Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, and Freddy? No way dude, he might be top 10 but top 5? No chance.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
F4 is terrible, It's way too slow and has almost no pushback, I wouldn't use it unless you know someone won't expect it.
Right. That's about the only time I do use it... but even then i feel silly just throwing it out. I usually do it off of a jip and try to beat them to the punch after it since it's 0 on block... but I don't know. I never feel good about using it. It has to be useful in SOME way.

The only thing I can really think of is maybe if you use the 22f4 string a few times to condition them to block low after 22. Then try to do f4 after a blocked 22.... but even that seems iffy to me. I guess I need to try it out.

But even if i DO want to use it... anyone have any ideas? I found it to be useful sometimes after d4 hits but even then I feel it's silly not to use f24 or b312 if they don't have meter/armor to build meter and get some chip damage in.

EDIT: It also just popped into my head, what about after a 1212~teleport on hit? 1212~teleport is +4 on hit so it would really give them 11 frames to interrupt still... if they are expecting it. I can see them blocking it every time though because there's no reason to block low unless they are trying to block a d4. I guess you'd REALLY have to be throwing d4's out to condition them to block low AND they have to be scared to hit a button after 1212~teleport hits since d1 would interrupt it.