What's new

Question Who isn't tournament viable in tournament competitive play?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
dude you play kitana, dont even troll this new guy. though if he says jade next i'll be convinced he's trolling.
Oh man cybersub has this one extremely situational 3 bar move that he'll probably never get on a player who knows he has it. come on.
If he catches you in a combo it's guaranteed against most top chars.

Jesus just admit Cyber Sub is top already. A divekick and a broken ass parry stfu.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Just use whoever you want. Don't let tier list hold you back from using who you like because they're at the bottom. Which is why I use Stryker as my main, I could care less what tier he's in, and if I lose, it just means I have to try and get better. which hasn't happened yet but I'm trying. Then again, I've never been to a tourney so I'm just all talk ;_;

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Lol, unless i'm misinterpreting the phrase "tournament viable", alot of people here are high.

I'll get the ball rolling, Kano is not tournament viable.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
Well the good Freddies are retired and there is only like 2 good Kenshis, so it is slightly possible lol. Everyone and their mom uses Kabal now tho
He has my freddy to deal with. Im the original freddy anyways. I havent went anywhere or retired haha. Dave grabbed the spotlight because he beat brady. I dont have the time/money between work and school to travel outside of GA for tourneys.

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
Just use whoever you want. Don't let tier list hold you back from using who you like because they're at the bottom. Which is why I use Stryker as my main, I could care less what tier he's in, and if I lose, it just means I have to try and get better. which hasn't happened yet but I'm trying. Then again, I've never been to a tourney so I'm just all talk ;_;
These are two separate questions, though. "Which characters are viable?" and "should I let viability dictate my character choice?" two different issues that ought to be approached very differently.

As for viability, I honestly don't play the low-tier characters enough to have an answer (Nightwolf is about as low as I go). It also depends on how you define viability. If "not viable" means you have more than two 7-3 match-ups, then yeah, tons of characters aren't viable. I reject that definition, though. As long as you don't have 8-2 match-ups, you're viable IMO.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
He has my freddy to deal with. Im the original freddy anyways. I havent went anywhere or retired haha. Dave grabbed the spotlight because he beat brady. I dont have the time/money between work and school to travel outside of GA for tourneys.
Beating Brady isn't what grabbed Dave the spotlight though, winning a major, placing top 8 at EVO, and being the only Freddy placing very high at various majors is what grabbed Dave the spotlight

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
Beating Brady isn't what grabbed Dave the spotlight though, winning a major, placing top 8 at EVO, and being the only Freddy placing very high at various majors is what grabbed Dave the spotlight
That is all true but again, I am not capable of traveling like him to showcase my skill.

When I learn to stop getting 2nd place to Pig at every event in GA, maybe ill earn some spotlight. =/

If the character is being played with good spacing and proper reads along with good reactions and execution,then any character is viable.the thing that makes it tough is when you're opponent is outdoing you.just because my jade gets bodied by a kitana that doesn't mean that another jade will get destroyed because that player may be much better at keeping kitana out than me.So I guess it's how we personally handle matchups.some are better in certain areas than others.and that was just an example I just gave but that matchup is hella tough for jade.at least for me personally.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I have seen Digimon almost make it to top 8 with Sheeva against people that knew how to fight her. So no one is tournament viable in this game.