What's new

Who beats Kung Lao?

Yea, KL is also 1 of my best characters as well (1 of my 3), theres no reason for him to have a losing match up, its all down to the player.

If Cage only has 2 or 3 matchups that are truly against him, KL shouldnt have any.

I believe that the same applies to most other characters in the game, its just that players arent understanding their characters properly yet.
Its more like training mode record is ass and you main Sonya. I just STARTED fighting Sonya recently so of course it feels hard to me right now.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Jax will get beat by Kung Lao, people who don't think that aren't playing the modern day high level Kung Lao.

Cage IMO can be even maybe slightly in cage's favor because of his strings being so good but KL can ex tele out of his strings, go into a whiffed grab for extra armor and pressure cage back. Not to mention his d4 is pretty decent along with his 21 string.

Sonya can beat KL but IMO its dependant on the footsie game and when KL decides to come in. IF KL is careless he could lose to sonya.
I've been thinking maybe kabal could go even if not SLIGHTLY in kabal's favor. After learning about the ex teleport whiff grab setup KL can basically make his move and get in on anyone at anytime which is key. Also if Kabal does a wakeup and KL reads it he can teleport for a combo or check his IAGB with an instant 3. I just picked him up again and started to learn his footsies a little more and hes a real great character. There is still yet to be a true KL main that plays him properly but people like PL, F0xy, and UFG are getting real close to mastering this character.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Foxy Vs PL
KL Mirror match at Evo. :cool:
KL mirror matches are the best. The commentary is insane

"Alright guys is a KL mirror match round one get hype!....ohh good dive kick....low hats......f3....And he spins! and that spin is countered by a spin! Buts its blocked and into a spin! He drops it! Ex spin! Spin another Spin! Spin spin spin XRAY SPINNNNNN OHHHHH GET BABIED BRO"

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I don't think kitana can be a true threat to KL. A smart properly played Lao can really get to a Kitana. If you want we can run some matches on XBL, I just started playing KL again.
1. Have you seen REO's Lao? It's godly! I also played someone last night who had a beastly Kung Lao. (think it was like "mikelousomething somethingsomething")
As for the thread's question I'd love to say Kang, but i'm pretty sure it's in Lao's favor. I'd say Cage, Sonya, and Lao himself would give him trouble.
I think...
Sorry for the odd qoute CURBO, I still need to understand this quoting system...

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
1. Have you seen REO's Lao? It's godly! I also played someone last night who had a beastly Kung Lao. (think it was like "mikelousomething somethingsomething")
As for the thread's question I'd love to say Kang, but i'm pretty sure it's in Lao's favor. I'd say Cage, Sonya, and Lao himself would give him trouble.
I think...
Sorry for the odd qoute CURBO, I still need to understand this quoting system...
REO's lao is ok. F0xy UFG and PL prolly have top 3 KL's

KRYS9984

Noob
From personal experience, I have been most successful using Ermac to fight Kung Lao.

Things I've noticed (in the match-up) using this characters:

- Ermac should be in the sweet spot just outside of jump / inside TKP to control Kung Lao mid-screen.

- You can easily trade TKP with any projectile (low / standing hat) to remain neutral and TKP his roll.

- If you anticipate a low hat, Ermac can clear the jump, dash in for a 1 - 2 - TKS combo set-up.

- If Lao leaves the ground (divekick / teleport) you can easily TKP on reaction before any move takes off.

- Blocked dive-kicks are punished mid-screen with B3 - 4 - Teleport - >> - 22 - TKS - 22 - TKP.

- All teleports can either be uppercutted + TKP or backdashed - TKS - JK - Teleport - 22 - TKP.

By no means is this match "free"; I was just giving my opinion based on personal experience.

Kung Lao is a deadly character and can easily beat Ermac if the match is played correctly.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
From personal experience, I have been most successful using Ermac to fight Kung Lao.
Add me on PSN and i will show you why Kung Lao is a bad matchup for Ermac. Depending on the connection you should get an accurate picture of why Kung Lao beat Ermac.

Things I've noticed (in the match-up) using this characters:

- Ermac should be in the sweet spot just outside of jump / inside TKP to control Kung Lao mid-screen.

- You can easily trade TKP with any projectile (low / standing hat) to remain neutral and TKP his roll.

- If you anticipate a low hat, Ermac can clear the jump, dash in for a 1 - 2 - TKS combo set-up.

- If Lao leaves the ground (divekick / teleport) you can easily TKP on reaction before any move takes off.

- Blocked dive-kicks are punished mid-screen with B3 - 4 - Teleport - >> - 22 - TKS - 22 - TKP.

- All teleports can either be uppercutted + TKP or backdashed - TKS - JK - Teleport - 22 - TKP.

By no means is this match "free"; I was just giving my opinion based on personal experience.

Kung Lao is a deadly character and can easily beat Ermac if the match is played correctly.
- I dont think any good kung lao will throw projectiles at ermac unless its full screen.
- TKP on reaction is risky against Ex teleport
- I wouldn't do any random dive kicks against anyone, especially not against ermac he punishes to hard.
- Again uppercutting teleports are risky because of ex version unless you have a 7 frame uppercut then you can do it on reaction.

kl has to respect a lot of things ermac can do, he can't abuse his mobility against ermac like he is able against a lot of characters, ermac controls a lot of space on the screen.

KRYS9984

Noob
Add me on PSN and i will show you why Kung Lao is a bad matchup for Ermac. Depending on the connection you should get an accurate picture of why Kung Lao beat Ermac.
Confident that you'll beat me.....:p

If I win? Does that mean Ermac beats Kung Lao?

Nah, just trollin man. ;) The match can go either way Ermac and Lao each have the necessary tools to beat the other opponent; It ultimately comes down to the individual. On paper the match is a 6 - 4 but not every Ermac and Lao plays the same.

I've had success with my other mains Mileena / Cyrax / Kenshi and other times they failed because of my opponents play style.

- I dont think any good kung lao will throw projectiles at ermac unless its full screen.
- TKP on reaction is risky against Ex teleport
- I wouldn't do any random dive kicks against anyone, especially not against ermac he punishes to hard.
- Again uppercutting teleports are risky because of ex version unless you have a 7 frame uppercut then you can do it on reaction.

kl has to respect a lot of things ermac can do, he can't abuse his mobility against ermac like he is able against a lot of characters, ermac controls a lot of space on the screen.
Being aware of the pros / cons of each move will certainly bring a level of confidence and fear going into every match-up. Kung Lao has to respect Ermac's TKP space and EX Teleport is a fantastic way to avoid it, however, EX Teleport is not a gdlk move and can be shut down as well.

As I previously mentioned to SunnyD, it really comes down to the individual and how they use the character. I used to cringe at the sight of Kung Lao because (in the past) I respected his specials a little too much. I decided to modify my approach and find it a little easier to tolerate him. Don't get me wrong, I am not fearless going into VS Kung Lao fights; he's a deadly character and usually takes my A game to beat him.

Confident that you'll beat me.....:p

If I win? Does that mean Ermac beats Kung Lao?

Nah, just trollin man. ;) The match can go either way Ermac and Lao each have the necessary tools to beat the other opponent; It ultimately comes down to the individual. On paper the match is a 5 - 5 but not every Ermac and Lao plays the same.

I've had success with my other mains Mileena / Cyrax / Kenshi and other times they failed because of my opponents play style.

Being aware of the pros / cons of each move will certainly bring a level of confidence and fear going into every match-up. Kung Lao has to respect Ermac's TKP space and EX Teleport is a fantastic way to avoid it, however, EX Teleport is not a gdlk move and can be shut down as well.

As I previously mentioned to SunnyD, it really comes down to the individual and how they use the character. I used to cringe at the sight of Kung Lao because (in the past) I respected his specials a little too much. I decided to modify my approach and find it a little easier to tolerate him. Don't get me wrong, I am not fearless going into VS Kung Lao fights; he's a deadly character and usually takes my A game to beat him.
The ex teleport alone and regular teleport has too many options people really shouldn't underestimate it.

regular teleport has:
- instant 3
- delayed 3 which comes out at 5 frames that links into full combo
- overhead 2

ex version has:
armor Instant 3
armor delayed 3
armor overhead 2
full armor whiff grab which allows him to do whatever he wants because he has that armor.