What's new

Strategy Whiff Punishing Black Adam's Lightning Strike

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
your not taking into account the frames it takes to react to something which is about 20. and even you happen to jump on the the first frame of lighting you still get punished or are forced to block
you dont react in 20 frames lol, in sf you sweep shit with 9f total duration, if you reacted at 20 it would not be possible to jump lightning with pre jump frames + lightning hitbox

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
so basically

20 and 19 is 39

Lightning startup is 26 and 46 recovery is 72

jump on the first 10 frames of startup and we end up with 49

so if jumps arent about 29f you're punished i guess

dont know the frame data on jumps,
all i know is you jump a lighting or MB lighting and teleport and you'll be eating a full combo punish from BA so your information is false

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
so basically

20 and 19 is 39

Lightning startup is 26 and 46 recovery is 72

jump on the first 10 frames of startup and we end up with 49

so if jumps arent about 29f you're punished i guess

Based on the fact i can anti air people with a 23 frame black magic, jumps are more like 40-50 frames, give or take some based on characters.

LaR

Noob
you dont react in 20 frames lol, in sf you sweep shit with 9f total duration, if you reacted at 20 it would not be possible to jump lightning with pre jump frames + lightning hitbox
if that were true green lantern would not have a mix up as everyone would block his overhead on reaction everytime

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
if that were true green lantern would not have a mix up as everyone would block his overhead on reaction everytime
reaction is one thing

identifying what you react to is another. same reason if you look at any high lvl SF fight, especially with ryu or akuma youll see a lot of long range whiffed kicks to confuse ppl to react with anti zoning moves to 'fireball" startups or whiff small pokes just outside sweep distasnce to bait a whiff punish and whiff punish the sweep themselves.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
dont know the frame data on jumps,
all i know is you jump a lighting or MB lighting and teleport and you'll be eating a full combo punish from BA so your information is false
have you tested this in training mode with the CPU set to lightning?

LaR

Noob
reaction is one thing

identifying what you react to is another. same reason if you look at any high lvl SF fight, especially with ryu or akuma youll see a lot of long range whiffed kicks to confuse ppl to react with anti zoning moves to 'fireball" startups or whiff small pokes just outside sweep distasnce to bait a whiff punish and whiff punish the sweep themselves.
yea so that would mean identifying a move and reacting to it would take even longer to react to.

I think it depends... I know with Lex my jump is so floaty I always miss it, but assuming most jumps will occur juuuust before lightning hits the ground due to the on reaction factor, I think it will catch some.

I think this needs to be tested. Not something we can flat out just assume given characters have VERY different jumps.

Dude we have been over this. Have you watched Tom vs rico play? They just trade all day with no mb. At least actually make him mb. It's conditioning.
He has a legitimate concern. Not everyone can trade, and against those characters who cant, BA builds meter at a distance fast, so its a good assumption he'll have a few bars to spend.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
He has a legitimate concern. Not everyone can trade, and against those characters who cant, BA builds meter at a distance fast, so its a good assumption he'll have a few bars to spend.
Oh I agree. This has been discussed in another thread. But my argument is that if you notice the black Adam is not mb in those trade situations, back dash it and let them know that they have to mb it. Might as well force him to use his meter somewhat, that way you don't have to deal with mb dive kick every 5 seconds. St least man's him think about his meter management, you know?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Oh I agree. This has been discussed in another thread. But my argument is that if you notice the black Adam is not mb in those trade situations, back dash it and let them know that they have to mb it. Might as well force him to use his meter somewhat, that way you don't have to deal with mb dive kick every 5 seconds. St least man's him think about his meter management, you know?
you dont force him to do anything, one MB lightning only costs half a bar and hes getting the lead anyways.

weve been over this a lot of times, this is no mixup, provides no reward and doesnt help at all.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
BA will always have meter, i havent seen a moment in competitive play where black adam didnt build meter, he builds meter off of even blockstrings on block.