What's new

Strategy Whiff Punishing Black Adam's Lightning Strike

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I am creating this thread per Master D. 's request. My cousin believes that too many Black Adam players are getting away unpunished while abusing this special move full screen away. Even this weekend at Summer Jam, he thinks Tom Brady could have probably beaten FOREVER KING if he had taken his opportunities to whiff punish the lightning strikes. He is referring to the following scenario.

Every time you jump over the lighting strike, either back or forward, Black Adam takes a full second to recover even though there is no visual cue. Some characters with long-ranged special attacks get guaranteed damage. Here are some examples that are listed from easiest to hardest.

- Deathstroke. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform high gunshots.
- Scorpion. Jump backward or forward and perform aerial teleport.
- Killer Frost. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform iceberg.
- Aquaman. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform from the deep.
- The Flash. Jump forward, land, and perform charge.
- General Zod. Jump forward, land, and perform charge.
- Sinestro. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform shackles.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
In this case, Ares could get a Straight Sword or an EX Dark Energy.

Martian Manhunter can get an easy Teleport Uppercut...maybe the Teleport Overhead...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In this case, Ares could get a Straight Sword or an EX Dark Energy.

Martian Manhunter can get an easy Teleport Uppercut...maybe the Teleport Overhead...
I am not sure. I would have to test.

The point is that players often jump over the lightning strike full screen away without doing anything and therefore miss out on guaranteed damage.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

The point is that players often jump over the lightning strike full screen away without doing anything and therefore miss out on guaranteed damage.
Well full screen i guess is a different story...i'll see what I come up with then.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Very true, as long as they dont MB low lightning and you jump it, hes got a ton of recovery.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Well full screen i guess is a different story...i'll see what I come up with then.
Yeah. I am not talking mid range. Every character can jump and punish lightning strike at mid range. All my examples are guaranteed full screen punishments.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I am creating this thread per Master D. 's request. My cousin believes that too many Black Adam players are getting away unpunished while abusing this special move full screen away. Even this weekend at Summer Jam, he thinks Tom Brady could have probably beaten FOREVER KING if he had taken his opportunities to whiff punish the lightning strikes. He is referring to the following scenario.

Every time you jump over the lighting strike, either back or forward, Black Adam takes a full second to recover even though there is no visual cue. Some characters with long-ranged special attacks get guaranteed damage. Here are some examples that are listed from easiest to hardest.

- Deathstroke. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform high gunshots.
- Scorpion. Jump backward or forward and perform aerial teleport.
- Killer Frost. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform iceberg.
- Aquaman. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform from the deep.
- The Flash. Jump forward, land, and perform charge.
- General Zod. Jump forward, land, and perform charge.
- Sinestro. Jump backward or forward, land, and perform shackles.
Nice man, Batman can actually punish black adam with one bat while jumping over the lightning strike.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
This is a good thread. Harold has made me scared to zone him full screen because of the ability to jump on reaction most times and punish full screen. Raven can do soul crush as well which should be pretty easy.

Black Magic for the most part has the same problems making Black Adams zoning not quite as scary as most believe. It is mostly just the power of his runaway and damage that cover it up.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
With Supes you can pretty much jump.and air laser to whiff punish lightning strike on reaction as soon as you see the starting animation. Can Doomsday jump, land, and Venom charge?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Can't MMH just cancel his jump over the lightning into teleport to punish?? No need to land.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Good tech!

I personally always thought he had good recovery since it has excelent recovery on block (excelent in comparison to all other zoning tools).

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
general m2dave if Nightwing reads a ground lightning, he can either:
1. Flying Grayson
2. Close distance with flying grayson and full combo punish.

It's very risky because Flying Grayson has a lot of start up and if you make the wrong read Black Adam can punish the fuck out of it, but you can see me use it back at WNF against RDK Godspeed to somewhat of an effect.

Once Nightwing has the life lead on Black Adam it's a tough fight unless Nightwing gives the match away. See Mad KOF vs. hAZ Shazam @ EVO.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I think so.

I was going to talk to REO anyway to make a video to demonstrate some of these examples.
I have to assume it punishes, I punish MB lightning with Batgirl's tele all the time...but good BA's basically know not to spam it anyways.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You should also know that you can back dash and punish lightening. It's harder but sometimes you can't jump it if you are at negative frames.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Every time you jump over the lighting strike, either back or forward, Black Adam takes a full second to recover even though there is no visual cue. Some characters with long-ranged special attacks get guaranteed damage.

26 start up + 47 recovery = whole animation is just over a second.

Once the lightning hits the floor you have 47 frames to punish, so based on when you jumped, and when you land in relation to the lightning striking the floor, most people should be able to punish bad lightnings on reaction.