What's new

Whiff Cancel Options to stuff wakeup tactics

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Lol at the ego's in this thread..."This is not new", "I discovered this...I knew about this week one" "I thought everyone knew about this...I did!" "Me me me me!". Lol thirsty bitches...I for one didn't know about this and I appreciate Aris and the gentleman who first publically mentioned this in the Grundy forum for sharing this. Thanks guys ;)

DoctrineDark

Too little, too late...
Lol at the ego's in this thread..."This is not new", "I discovered this...I knew about this week one" "I thought everyone knew about this...I did!" "Me me me me!". Lol thirsty bitches...I for one didn't know about this and I appreciate Aris and the gentleman who first publically mentioned this in the Grundy forum for sharing this. Thanks guys ;)
Hey, watch your mouth... I work hard for the community many hours to discover combos and technology and not expect anything in return, if I say I was discovered by my is because that was and I have the full right to express this, I think to say this I am not insulting anybody.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Hey, watch your mouth... I work hard for the community many hours to discover combos and technology and not expect anything in return, if I say I was discovered by my is because that was and I have the full right to express this, I think to say this I am not insulting anybody.
Yeah...I'm a fan of your work. I'm simply stating how humorous some of these responses are...;)

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I like the condescension.

d3v

SRK
Any decent Youtube vids demonstrating the theory around this? I'd love to put this up on SRK, but embedding sream replays is a bitch on Wordpress.
You know, like a D1 or a fast mid like F2 would be "light", or "lean" moves. Something meaty would be a slower moving heavy move. Like a 14 frame mid that takes up a lot of space.
No. Meaty means attacks done so that they connect later than their first active frame, cutting down on the recovery.

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=171

Kibaris

Noob
i think thats the point of it. and i personally think this sucks, wake-ups are weak enough already.
I agree, SF4 was full of option selects but there were some really strong wake up attacks in the game like Shoryuken, Tiger Uppercut etc. In Injustice wake up attacks are weak already we need no OS, NRS should remove them from the game completely. Also in SF4 some wake up attacks like shoryuken which came in 3frames... were so strong that there was no OS to beat them, only an empty jump... To sum it up, my personal opinion is that OS destroy the game-even SF4- because the game loses tis raw beauty which is taking risks and see if they succeed or fail..

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
We need to stop acting like everyone who played MK9 are the only people who play Injustice. Injustice has it's own community and isn't MK9. IGAU is it's own game. This community has expanded. So for Injustice this may very well be "ground breaking tech" if you weren't aware of it.

I for one knew about it in MK9, but wasn't aware it carried over into Injustice. This will only give me more options, which is great in the long run. For the people new to fighting games who are getting confused by all this fancy lingo. Just think of it as punishing wake up attacks if you think your opponent will wake up.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Any decent Youtube vids demonstrating the theory around this? I'd love to put this up on SRK, but embedding sream replays is a bitch on Wordpress.

No. Meaty means attacks done so that they connect later than their first active frame, cutting down on the recovery.

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=171
Ah. Well my interpretation of it has been working well. A longer active normal that hits mid makes this easier than a very quick normal. At least for me.

d3v

SRK
Ah. Well my interpretation of it has been working well. A longer active normal that hits mid makes this easier than a very quick normal. At least for me.
Well traditionally, you don't really need to for fast attacks since they recover fast enough to combo.

Back in the day, "meatys" were developed to allow things that wouldn't normally combo do so, usually on wakeup. For more info, check out the section on them in the old SSFII Turbo Intermediate's Guide.

In this case however, you're using the meaty to be able to catch your opponent as they're waking up and create the window for the OS.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It has nothing to do with egos. This literally is left over from MK9 because the wakeup system works the EXACT same way. Invincibility frames that are just armor frames without the armor damage or flash.

It's not really an option select since it works on block, too.

Good effort, though. Discovering this game instead of bitching about shit is what we should be doing.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
this happens because in the NRS engine, wake up invincibility is treated like auto-block, so you can do anything to wake up invincibility that you can to a blocking opponent.

My guess is you're not actually whiffing, the first hit actually hits the opponent but doesn't register as a hit (one that causes health bar to go down) because of invincibility frames of the wakeup attack hence the ability to cancel the normal into a special.

I don't think you all understand the ramifications of this option select with grundy's Walking corpse cancel, the only special move that can be cancelled in the game. Opponent does a wake up attack, walking corpse absorbs the hit, is canceled, full combo punish. Opponent just blocks, walking corpse is canceled, you're right next to them and do whatever you want, probably a down+2 (grundy's fastest normal) canceled into trait because that grabs them on hit and block.
Just another reason to not let a zombie get near or touch you.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Yeah i don't think it's a personal attack on anyone when we just state that this is left over from mk9, this should be brand spanking new to the players that came from other games, the players from mk9 should be very familiar with this. I believe doctrinedark put up a bane video about this before too. This is great that people are discovering this on their own if they come from other games though, respect.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
good stuff.Coming from Sf4 I am aware of option selects although I never bothered to learn any other than crouchLK/LP(throw breaks or starts combo or pressure).