What's new

Which Video Game Genre takes more SKILL you think, FG's or FPS's?

Which Video Game Genre requires the most skill to win in? Fighting Games? FPS's or other?

• Fighting Games

Votes: 58 70.7%
  • FPS's(First Person Shooters)

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Sports Games

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Puzzle Games

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Racing Games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RPG

• MMO

• Platformers

• Third person Games

• MOBA

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Adventure Games

• Survival Games

• Beat em Ups

• Not Sure

• Other

• Strategic Games

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • RTS(Real Time Strategy) if you don't want to vote Strategic Games^

• Total voters

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Quake you can know the map all you want and have the quad damage uptime memorized in your head down to the second. Doesn't matter a damn lick if I had the railgun and I was a quicker shot than you. Not to say there is no skill to be had, but in the end raw reaction speed is the best skill to have, to the point where it outshines the rest.
Railgun doesn't kill in 1 hit (especially if you have armor on), and raw reaction speed will NOT get you thru Quake alone - aiming skill (especially talking about the railgun given its small hitbox in 3 and slow firing rate) and execution in terms of movement completely matters. Don't think you can Bhop by just spamming the jump key/click like a nutcase, you need to time it so you jump the exact moment you land otherwise you lose the speed increase the bhop gives you, just as one example. Having a faster reaction time means shit if your aiming sucks and your movement sucks. To say nothing of learning the maps, item placements, timing of said item spawnings, etc. Or learning each gun's in and outs and where they work best.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
No strategic games as an option? They got loads of simultaneous micro management.

Fighting games are high on the list honestly, but I think strategic games at the highest level require a lot of brain power. Even a game as old as Age of Empire has some crazy games with top players.
Competitive Pokemon (VGC & Smogon) are hella hard.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
i have around 6k hours in CSGO (highest ranks) and have also played CoD on PC for many years but i have also played Fighters since 2011

so its really hard to say, Fighting games are really difficult to master at the highest level, but in shooters the skill ceiling is pretty high too
like you can always have better aim or better gamesense. But in fighters mechanics arent as tasking

in fighting games you can go pro if you are good by yourself, but in shooters to go pro you need a good team with you that has chemistry.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I love Quake, Doom etc they were fun.

On Rail Shooters I think are fun, while the cam does the work for you they arguably are easily among the most painful genre as far as hurting your hands. That and a game called Blades of Steel for NES, Good God holding down that D-pad for an entire period will kill your thumb muscles. IDK, never happened when I was a kid, maybe I'm just getting old and my hands can't handle it as much anymore lol

The correct answer for most skill: RTS games.

I’ll assume you knew it was the correct answer since it wasn’t even an option on your list. Can’t have it dominating your question now, can we? :p
Well, your opinion friend, I wouldn't say there's a correct answer lol, If that stands for strategy btw, it's on the bottom of the list for all strategic games but the poll would disagree with ya:p I think all games require skill, but some more than others. I'm not convinced RTS games are the hardest lol, they make you think but all genres do in their own way. In terms of a tourney I don't see any RTS as more challenging than any FG or FPS if you have tough comp. Example, play a game called Split Second it's a fast paced, arcade style racer similar to Burnout and NFS but more intense because it's not just about racing and taking foes down with your car but there's bombs all over the place, traps you can detonate though if you're not careful you can kill yourself too you have to know when to detonate them to screw over your foes and pass them, and it can make a big difference. There's also games that test your reaction time/reflexes which definitely are not RTS's lol.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
The only other game genre I've seen that I can confidently say is MUCH harder than FGs at a high level are RTS games.

I used to watch a lot of Starcraft 2 and honestly watching some of those players play the game is insane. The execution required to play those games is ridiculous, assigning different things to different keys on the fly, micromanaging all of your army even down to individual units, scouting what your opponent is doing, countering their plays properly with both good macro and micro, having the right building/army composition, having knowledge of all the different openers and optimal timings of different attacks, then it gets even harder in the late game with games taking over 30 minutes at times...

Honestly I could go on forever, those games be hard.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

On Rail Shooters I think are fun, while the cam does the work for you they arguably are easily among the most painful genre as far as hurting your hands. That and a game called Blades of Steel for NES, Good God holding down that D-pad for an entire period will kill your thumb muscles. IDK, never happened when I was a kid, maybe I'm just getting old and my hands can't handle it as much anymore lol

Well, your opinion friend, I wouldn't say there's a correct answer lol, If that stands for strategy btw, it's on the bottom of the list for all strategic games but the poll would disagree with ya:p I think all games require skill, but some more than others. I'm not convinced RTS games are the hardest lol, they make you think but all genres do in their own way. In terms of a tourney I don't see any RTS as more challenging than any FG or FPS if you have tough comp. Example, play a game called Split Second it's a fast paced, arcade style racer similar to Burnout and NFS but more intense because it's not just about racing and taking foes down with your car but there's bombs all over the place, traps you can detonate though if you're not careful you can (EDIT: LOL MOPPED BY THE FILTER!) too you have to know when to detonate them to screw over your foes and pass them, and it can make a big difference. There's also games that test your reaction time/reflexes which definitely are not RTS's lol.
Bro, go watch some Starcraft 2 tournaments from a few years ago in Korea and your mind will be blown. That game was like their national sport and used to fill stadiums and shit

MKF30

Bro, go watch some Starcraft 2 tournaments from a few years ago in Korea and your mind will be blown. That game was like their national sport and used to fill stadiums and shit
Oh I know man, they're fun to watch(one of my best buds growing up was a HUGE SC player in the 90's to mid 2000's) but just saying that some genres are a lot more difficult than others depending on comparison being made. I pretty much agree with @xenogorgeous overall that all genres require skill in different ways, but I do think some are tougher than others in different categories. I have another friend who used to be obsessed with WOW, but I noticed that game died down compared to 15 years ago or so. It's nuts though how they're still making DLC for it.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
In a fighting game forum this question will of course lead to the result that playing a fighting game is the most skill based genre lol.

I played a lot of dota, warcraft and quake. When you want to play at the highest possible level, it is always extremely hard.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I want to say FPS Arenas. Just thinking about the absurd amount of things to keep in mind during a duel is staggering: health, armor, weapons and position for both opponent and you, pick up timers, what map areas you want to spam out and if it's worth the ammo investment, timer, score and so on.

Add to that the fact that almost every weapon requires a different kind of aiming and you got an almost unlimited skill ceiling.

Real time strategy games seem very hard too, but I'm unfamiliar with them.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't know, but I can definitely say that the mentality I've developed playing FGs has helped me play shooters better, the idea of embracing matchups and getting into your opponent's head.. they're a valuable skill in every online game, but I never gave them much thought up until FGs forced me to.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I feel most here will say FG since we are on TYM and shouldn't expect much less.

I think many games have a high skill gap when you get to high level gameplay and I don't think any is more skill based than the others. All of them are challenging in thier own ways.

Well, your opinion friend, I wouldn't say there's a correct answer lol, If that stands for strategy btw, it's on the bottom of the list for all strategic games but the poll would disagree with ya:p I think all games require skill, but some more than others. I'm not convinced RTS games are the hardest lol, they make you think but all genres do in their own way. In terms of a tourney I don't see any RTS as more challenging than any FG or FPS if you have tough comp. Example, play a game called Split Second it's a fast paced, arcade style racer similar to Burnout and NFS but more intense because it's not just about racing and taking foes down with your car but there's bombs all over the place, traps you can detonate though if you're not careful you can (EDIT: LOL MOPPED BY THE FILTER!) too you have to know when to detonate them to screw over your foes and pass them, and it can make a big difference. There's also games that test your reaction time/reflexes which definitely are not RTS's lol.
every game is about speed on top level and rts is just the genre where you have to memorize and process the most stuff. rts players can have up to 800 mouse actions per minute.

MKF30

Also want to note that one thing just about all video games do is keep your brain exercised and improves your hand eye coordination/reflexes I've read.

I feel most here will say FG since we are on TYM and shouldn't expect much less.

I think many games have a high skill gap when you get to high level gameplay and I don't think any is more skill based than the others. All of them are challenging in thier own ways.
True, I mean pretty much any gaming forum I'm sure whatever the genre of the game is will win this poll. That's kind of why I wanted to limit it to FG and FPS, but also offer the freedom of discussion to other genres too. :) Good post, I agree overall all are challenging in their own way.

I mean I think puzzle games are also insanely hard at higher levels, just look at this crazy shit lol. I'm not sure an FPS or FG player would be able to do this, lol.

lol

every game is about speed on top level and rts is just the genre where you have to memorize and process the most stuff. rts players can have up to 800 mouse actions per minute.
Thanks for the info, that's true. Though I would say with sports games, I think they're more about strategy and thinking ahead similar to Chess if you know what I mean. Like if you're playing baseball and have 2 men on 1 out, will you bunt go for a sac fly or hit? Depending on the situation and inning or Football, which play will you choose with 2 minutes left? But I know what you're saying, most games speed and quick thinking are key for sure.

Fighting games free. But alot of the elements that make it that way can be present in shooters.

I'd say Titanfall, specifically Attrition mode has alot of the complexity of fighting games and MOBAs combined. Unforunately the series has been gradually moving away from all those elements.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
FGS

I used to play FPS only and sure reaction time and map knowledge are important but outside of that there's really nothing else you can master that will make you improve drastically.

Icefyre

Shadows

Check my followup post lol :p

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
In a fighting game forum this question will of course lead to the result that playing a fighting game is the most skill based genre lol.

I played a lot of dota, warcraft and quake. When you want to play at the highest possible level, it is always extremely hard.

i play WC3 still casually, i know the basic stuff but its so hard, takes alot of brainpower to do so many things at the same time

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
@MKF30 I was about to mention puzzle games too. Watching tetris world finals will clear any doubts about how insanely hard to play at the highest level those games can be.

My answer to op is that different genres can't be compared. Each one tests your skills differently, but will definitely push your limits if you want to play at high level.

I voted for "strategic games" because it's the closest to "Real Time Strategy."

There's a reason StarCraft II is widely considered the most challenging eSport's title in the world. The amount of things you're managing all at once, and the reactions, adaptability, and overall understanding of tactics, meta, and match-ups is unequalled in any other genre, and of course you're all doing it solo, no team to make up for your mistakes.

I see Fighting Games as a strong second, as it's also an extremely demanding and execution focused genre, one you're also doing solo.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Way too many variables that are out of your control in FPS games. Fighting games are “easier” I would say.
Edit: Also the “good aim is all you need” thought process is ludicrously inaccurate.

Last edited:

MKF30

Way too many variables that are out of your control in FPS games. Fighting games are “easier” I would say.
Edit: Also the “good aim is all you need” thought process is ludicrously inaccurate.
I never said that about aim.

Edit nvm thought that was addressing me, my fault. Lol