What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Funny...

Here is some food for thought, are scrubs who can't handle getting zoned considered fucbois or is it the other way around.

In all honestly, if you ever play a fighting game and are primarily a very good rushdown and some time in your Fgc experience you fight a player is you consider 'cowardly' because he's not in your face and you lost because he just 'mindlessly' spammed projectiles. Let's assess this, does that make him the better player, probably not. Does that discredit the good player, absolutely not but many, for the lack of a more convenient term for me, anti-zoning zealots, think they feel insulted by such an action. It's not the other players fault that you couldn't adapt to something rushdown players rarely encounter.

Fighting games are not all about rushdown. They are about the range, right reads and the right space. Every player and character works at different areas of range and space.

Know this to all who think zoning is cheap, if you walk into a match thinking you're going to be in the right space at all times you are dead wrong.

In the game, nobody is just gonna let you stay in their face or stay out of it. You don't have the right to complain that you're not being allowed to come in or not being allowed go out. You don't ask for space in these games you fight for it. People who hate zoning think they are entitled to come in on a whim when that's not necessarily how it works. You are not entitled to stay at a certain space you earn that through the right reads. Zoning is not just projectile throwing that is only part of it.

People like @NY-Shadow need to learn to level up and know that zoning is an actual thing in these games. Rather than adapt and get better they blame something like zoning for their own lack of skill.

And with that.

Toodles

Last edited:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Funny...

Here is some food for thought, are scrubs who can't handle getting zoned considered fucbois or is it the other way around.

In all honestly, if you ever play a fighting game and are primarily a very good rushdown and some time in your Fgc experience you fight a player is you consider 'cowardly' because he's not in your face and you lost because he just 'mindlessly' spammed projectiles. Let's assess this, does that make him the better player, probably not. Does that discredit the good player, absolutely not but they act many, for the lack of a more convenient term for me, anti-zoning zealots, think they feel insulted by such an action. It's not the other players fault that you couldn't adapt to something rushdown players rarely encounter.

Fighting games are not all about rushdown. They are about the range, right reads and the right space. Every player and character works at different areas of range and space.

Know this to all who think zoning is cheap, if you walk into a match thinking you're going to be in the right space at all times you are dead wrong.

In the game, nobody is just gonna let you stay in their face or stay out of it. You don't have the right to complain that you're not being allowed to come in or not being allowed go out. You don't ask for space in these games you fight for it. People who hate zoning think they are entitled to come in on a whim when that's not necessarily how it works. You are not entitled to stay at a certain space you earn that through the right reads. Zoning is not just projectile throwing that is only part of it.

People like @NY-Shadow need to learn to level up and know that zoning is an actual thing in these games. Rather than adapt and get better they blame something like zoning for their own lack of skill.

And with that.

Toodles
What a waste of page space with sooo much typing to ultimately fall flat on the fact that zoning as a core strategy is for lazy-minded-players who just don't have the mental capacity to learn and master the rushdown game. Good that you left, toodles to you little boy.

E

Eldriken

What a waste of page space with sooo much typing to ultimately fall flat on the fact that zoning as a core strategy is for lazy-minded-players who just don't have the mental capacity to learn and master the rushdown game. Good that you left, toodles to you little boy.
You preach your opinion as if it's fact because you're so adamant that only your opinion matters. Sure, it matters to you, but obviously not many other people agree with you. People aren't playing to impress you nor to gain your acceptance of their style of play. They're playing to win. If you don't like their methods, too bad. No amount of bitching is going to change it.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
If you don't like their methods, too bad. No amount of bitching is going to change it.
Unfortunately, this part is probably wrong - NRS has shown that if members of TYM bitch loud enough for even the most ridiculous stuff ("in light of Quan Chi getting 5th at EVO, can we please get some Quan Chi buffs?"), NRS will generally give in to the loudest and not the most thought out.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Unfortunately, this part is probably wrong - NRS has shown that if members of TYM bitch loud enough for even the most ridiculous stuff ("in light of Quan Chi getting 5th at EVO, can we please get some Quan Chi buffs?"), NRS will generally give in to the loudest and not the most thought out.
I meant that the person isn't going to change their style of play just because someone's bitching about it. =P

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
You preach your opinion as if it's fact because you're so adamant that only your opinion matters. Sure, it matters to you, but obviously not many other people agree with you. People aren't playing to impress you nor to gain your acceptance of their style of play. They're playing to win. If you don't like their methods, too bad. No amount of bitching is going to change it.
Uh sir, you are mistaken. You would like to think "many" people don't agree with me but the truth is most do, sorry if that bothers you dear. Second, no one is stating that players can't or shouldn't zone, you Einstein. The argument is if zoning takes more skill than rushdown, that's the argument. So reread the thread title then respond or just keep putting your foot in your mouth. So let me help you understand even if I won't help someone of your limited brain ability. Rushdown takes more skill than zoning. Rushdown is harder to learn and takes more time to learn how to do it well. You must think rushdown is just getting someone in the corner and pressing 1,1,2 till they die or the time runs out. lol read, comprehend, think then respond please.

Xentex

Noob
It seems to me that a lot more MKX tournaments are won, and more top 8 spots are taken, by rushdown players.

That suggests that winning through zoning is actually the more difficult skill. If winning matches by zoning was so easy and braindead then we'd see tournaments dominated by zoners. If you can win tournaments using a skill others can't seem to win with (zoning) then it stands to reason that's the more difficult skill to employ.

Most of the responses in this thread are just talking about spamming, and confusing spamming for zoning. Spamming is spamming, and it's just as viable to win online garbage matches spamming rushdown spam as it is spamming zones.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
It seems to me that a lot more MKX tournaments are won, and more top 8 spots are taken, by rushdown players.

That suggests that winning through zoning is actually the more difficult skill. If winning matches by zoning was so easy and braindead then we'd see tournaments dominated by zoners. If you can win tournaments using a skill others can't seem to win with (zoning) then it stands to reason that's the more difficult skill to employ.

Most of the responses in this thread are just talking about spamming, and confusing spamming for zoning. Spamming is spamming, and it's just as viable to win online garbage matches spamming rushdown spam as it is spamming zones.
Actually you almost had a point there when you said about most losers at tournaments are zoners. The truth is the reason why zoners lose to rushdown players at tournaments is not because its a harder skill to master and win with. The reason zoners lose at high level gameplay is because its a strategy that is weak at its core and not meant to be a strong element in a fighting game that is built on primarily up-close punch/kick engagement. Projectiles in fighting games like MKX are additional tools that compliment the hand to hand fighting but not to replace hand to hand as in rushdown gameplay that is where the core of the game strength is. Too many players are playing in zoning as if its almost a shooter game when the game is really a rushdown-in your face game and meant to be played more as a rushdown than a shooter game.

E

Eldriken

Uh sir, you are mistaken. You would like to think "many" people don't agree with me but the truth is most do, sorry if that bothers you dear. Second, no one is stating that players can't or shouldn't zone, you Einstein. The argument is if zoning takes more skill than rushdown, that's the argument. So reread the thread title then respond or just keep putting your foot in your mouth. So let me help you understand even if I won't help someone of your limited brain ability. Rushdown takes more skill than zoning. Rushdown is harder to learn and takes more time to learn how to do it well. You must think rushdown is just getting someone in the corner and pressing 1,1,2 till they die or the time runs out. lol read, comprehend, think then respond please.
Dur hur. I'm referring to your constant bitching about zoners and top tiers. I wasn't even talking about which one takes more skill. So...reading comprehension? For me? lol

I already stated my opinion on the topic earlier in the thread. I'm not discussing that with you. Just pointing out that you're always complaining about top tiers and zoners and that no amount of bitching from you will do anything.

Also, let it be known, I don't even use a dedicated zoner. So, I'm pretty familiar with what it takes to properly use a rushdown character.

Last edited by a moderator:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
On another note. The truth is rushdown requires more mental work and a deeper understanding of your characters strengths and weaknesses and how best to apply them and variate to the point of being unpredictable and overwhelming. Zoning is all about responsive action and repetitive shots just enough to mix up the high-low projectile game to stop them from moving towards you, thats all. Zoning only requires the mastery of one or two aspects of the character. While rushdown requires you to master the entire character fully.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Actually you almost had a point there when you said about most losers at tournaments are zoners. The truth is the reason why zoners lose to rushdown players at tournaments is not because its a harder skill to master and win with. The reason zoners lose at high level gameplay is because its a strategy that is weak at its core and not meant to be a strong element in a fighting game that is built on primarily up-close punch/kick engagement. Projectiles in fighting games like MKX are additional tools that compliment the hand to hand fighting but not to replace hand to hand as in rushdown gameplay that is where the core of the game strength is. Too many players are playing in zoning as if its almost a shooter game when the game is really a rushdown-in your face game and meant to be played more as a rushdown than a shooter game.

On another note. The truth is rushdown requires more mental work and a deeper understanding of your characters strengths and weaknesses and how best to apply them and variate to the point of being unpredictable and overwhelming. Zoning is all about responsive action and repetitive shots just enough to mix up the high-low projectile game to stop them from moving towards you, thats all. Zoning only requires the mastery of one or two aspects of the character. While rushdown requires you to master the entire character fully.

Dude, have you ever even played this game? Or any other fighting game ever? Hadouken? Are you aware that Injustice was once a thing?

Honestly though, keep going. I'm cheering for you, bruh. Never give in to logic. Never let facts pull you down. Good rushdown knows no surrender.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Claiming that zoners don't understand what their characters are capable of you are, again, dead wrong. Also, you act like zoning doesn't take into a characters weaknesses into account. Zoning minded players (especially good ones) also learn a deeper level of understanding with their character and how to get by their holes. Understanding your character is not a thing for just rushdown players, all players who play at a high level understand their characters at the highest possible level. Zoning does not mean spamming necessarily, I can think of more than one instance regarding what else is zoning and what else is spamming. Also, zoning is not reactive, its on prediction.

If you claim that zoners don't understand holes when it comes to frame data, you are no different from an ignorant anti-zoning activist that has never once adapted to a playstyle that you can't put up with. If you claim fighting games are 100% rushdown, you obviously never lasted past the first game in your pools in any tournament you went to. It is casual players like you NRS caters too because you're not skilled enough to get around what YOU claim is unfair.

YOU are the little one in this thread and I don't need to tell you how blatantly wrong you are on multiple turns.

Either learn that not your close-minded approach doesn't go here or watch yourself get eaten alive by your mistakes the hard way...

Last edited:

Xentex

Noob
NY Shadow is probably watching Orange is the New Black, eating her bonbons and laughing as you guys try to engage her in serious debate.

STAHP.
She's practicing verbal rushdown spam and her character is broken. In her mind she's always at +30 frame advantage and every counter whiffs.

The only course to victory in this battle is to zone right the fuck out of the discussion.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
NY Shadow is probably watching Orange is the New Black, eating her bonbons and laughing as you guys try to engage her in serious debate.

STAHP.
True. But considering the possibility that this is real life, it's just so much fun to see this guy dig his hole deeper and deeper. It is entertaining to watch this guy fail at either holding opinions or trolling, whichever he is doing. He is legitimately not doing either of them right.

What else do we have to do around here? Sometimes, it can be fun to feed the trolls.

@NY-Shadow I don't know what heavenly sword is. But if mkx is anything like mk9 then rushdown takes far more skill. Far more. Anyone who says different is just lying for their ego. But if the game is that different from mk9 then I'm not gonna be much help there.

So a talented balanced kenshi who will zone the shit out of u to wait till u make a mistake for him to rush in is a talentless scrub? Just general question to the tread not trolling or starting s h I t

So a talented balanced kenshi who will zone the shit out of u to wait till u make a mistake for him to rush in is a talentless scrub? Just general question to the tread not trolling or starting s h I t
Thread has derailed so don't be upset if no one answers you seriously.
I posted a while back and people are STILL talking skill vs skill instead of risk/reward.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
I can't actually say. Too many variables. If you say in MKX specifically. I'd say rush down. Since most zones have pretty good up close games as well. Predator/Shinnock/Quan are proof of that.

But in terms of fighting philosophy period. That will depend on the game and what rules limit the characters. In MKX I have a run button and a block breaker that's specifically meant to get you somewhat off me.

Problem is you keep your stamina and you're still relatively close to me. I have a meter disadvantage and you're back in my face. Without meter or stamina my options are hold this, respect that, eat this, and most notably,"Take da hit dawg".

Zoning has potential to be strong in this game but all of the top zoners, aren't considered top characters for their zoning capabilities. After all with needed Teleport tanya, Pyromancer ain't looking to hot anymore. Almost as if a shroud of nerds has befallen it. Puns.