What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Now before I blow up the zoners in this thread, I would consider myself to be a zoner/hybrid type of player and I find it much easier to be good at zoning than rush down. Although, zoning is to be respected, I find myself being much more impressed by people who can effectively rush down and avoid zoning.

Although I've been trying to improve in the rush down department as I would like to be at least adequate in all areas of fighting, I find it much more challenging than zoning. This could just be a personal problem, but my record would indicate that zoning is much easier than rush down.

I admire players such as SonicFox, DJT, MIT, and Forever King and basically everybody at Yomi except for Michaelangelo. I do respect his skill and I certainly could never zone as well as he does, it's just not as impressive to me, especially when there's Quan Chi in the game which I happen to think is one of, if not the scrubbiest character in any fighting game, although I haven't played all fighting games so please forgive me if there are dumber characters.

Some may say it's easier than ever to rush down in this game and although that may be true due to the abundance of 50/50's and the run button, I still find myself struggling to keep up.

What do you guys think? Do you guys see it the same way or am I just offensively challenged? Please discuss, agree, or disagree as much as you please. Much love TYM.

E

Eldriken

Where's the option for both?

While some may not agree, I feel that each one takes a certain degree of skill to be successful with. You can't just pew pew and win in this game, nor can you simply play rushdown and win. Not against a competent opponent, anyway. This is barring bad MUs and/or massive skill gaps, mind you.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think it just depends on a players mindset, everyone views the game differently and wants something different in a character to play their game effectively. I do think MKX tends to reward rushers more than zoners though.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Honestly, both require skill. That's all that needs to be said. Of course some games favor a certain playstyle more. But it can be tough to establish offense and get in to do so. It can also be hard to keep your space and get some room without dying.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
It really depends on what kind of zoning because if you have multiple options for zoning and you use the wrong one in the wrong situation you will get blown up so knowing how to effectively use your zoning tools is very skillful

Now with rush down I think run in 50/50 doesn't take much skill and you can get blown up for it but pressure does take skill. Knowing your frames and when your negative or what strings to use for what situation and to convert off of stray hits takes a lot more thought.

But ultimately I think zoning takes more skill not by much tho just because usually Zoners get destroyed if you make it past their zoning so they really have to be on point and keep you out so you have to be steps ahead of your opponent

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Depends entirely on the character/game. Some zoners are stupid easy and some rushdown characters are stupid easy. Doesn't matter the playstyle, if it doesn't require a lot of effort, time, or knowledge to be effective, then it takes less skill.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
These threads pop up every new game. Just be careful you don't mix up zoning and spamming. Spamming is doing one move over and over with no strategy. Zoning is a mixture of spacing, strategy and reads to create desired spacing.

I'd vote for both honestly.

Spencer

Always Training
Well it's equal IMO Iafbs and cancels are about equal execution wise. especially when executive perfect air fireballs and perfect cancels.

And Strategically It takes both to win and I also say it's equal.

Zoning is also map dependent the bigger the map and the more interactables the easier it is. Zoning you have to keep them out and make them guess when to counter. And guessing if their gonna jump. Also you got to know when to move back. it also character dependent how many tools they have.

Rush is equal you have keep them guessing Wrong .You have to know when to stop staggering a string . When to throw. When to anti air. And when to 50/50 and know which to use O or L.
All of this is a guessing gam.
inless your character has a anti air that's quick and punish opponents on reaction so the answers both.

Last edited:

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
These threads pop up every new game. Just be careful you don't mix up zoning and spamming. Spamming is doing one move over and over with no strategy. Zoning is a mixture of spacing, strategy and reads to create desired spacing.

I'd vote for both honestly.
Spamming is a strategy of both actually. Spamming bats and runes will give you good zoning. Spamming run cancels will give you good rush down.