What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Which Kano in which matchup?

So my idea is to play all three kanos and make the pick depending on the matchup. i will pick the variation that is the least negative against all three of the opponnets variations. that means, if commando goes 5-5, 5-5, 4-6 against a character, while cyber goes 6-4, 6-4, 3-7, i will pick commando.

i think i have not listed all characters, at least not in the "definitely" section because i simply lack matchup experience for some. looking forward to your Input.

commando: i will pick this vs characters wo are focused on melee and have to work their way in. maybe they also dont have the best mixups, so they are a bit predictable for parries. i will not use this against chars who have a low profile move that counter high knives.

definitely: D'Vorah, Goro, Jax, Johnny Cage, Raiden

maybe: Erron Black, sonya, cassie, Jason

cutthroat: this is my pick vs characters that have high mobility, superior zoning, vortexes or stuff like that. those where you dont get many chances to net damage so better make it count. its also good against characters with a bad wakup game or unsafe moves.

definitely: ermac, Kenshi, kung lao, quan chi, scorpion, takeda,

maybe: Erron black, Ferra/Torr, Jacqui, kitana, shinnok, tanya

Cybernetic: this is the variation i am the least experienced with. i mainly use it when the opponent has a low profile attack that beats high knives, like slide or low fireball, or outzones kanos other variations in other ways. and obviously it has good footsie tools. i think its the best "meter" variation due to meterless damage and knives on low block, so you might use it in matchups against huge damage characters for breakers. also mb knife is a great armor (and iceclone) breaker.

definitely: kung jin, liu kang, mileena, reptile, Sub-Zero, kotal kahn, predator

maybe: kano, kitana, kotal kahn erron black.

edit: put raiden into commando, kotal and predator into cyber

Last edited:

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
For me, it's generally been Cybernetic when I can sit back and relax with my automated knife launcher, and Cybernetic everywhere else too. I'm probably going to have to mix Commando in there with characters I Absolutely fall apart against. Cutthroat, I just don't ever seem to be comfortable with him

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I feel like Cybernetic might be able to give Predator some problems. Pred's smart disk going away on hit and on block is huge which means from full screen (In Hunter at least), he shouldn't be able to get stuff started and you can easily harass him. EX Knives on read should stuff any attempts to do that lunging armored stab move and Warriors far lunging armored overhead. Predator has extremely slow armored reversals which can easily be stuffed so he has to hold any kind of pressure.

Does anyone know how he does vs his Laser variation? Im only running into Hunter's and Warriors both online and my offline training partner.

lemmywinks

losing record
Cybernetic is definitely my go-to for Predator and big characters with mediocre to bad zoning(Jason, Kotal). Cutthroat seems stronger against teleporters.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Cybernetic vs hqt is work. It is an absolute grind, because his plasma caster is so good. it comes out fast, travels fast, and recovers very very fast. couple that with directional mixups, and it's not easy for Cyber Kano.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
cyber/commando do fine against pred HQT. Commando B3xxChoke can actually hit him out of EX Scimitar if they do it on wakeup and you do it meaty, as well as 11, just the timing is a little tighter, so you can keep on top of him fairly nicely. His Plasma is relatively easy to evade around I've found.

lemmywinks

losing record
Yeah, HQT can be a bitch at full-screen. Cyber knifes still work well at 3/4 and b2 strings all day long for anything closer.

NHDR

Noob
Use Cutthroat against characters who bypass projectiles easily. Why? Make your damage count when you land it, those characters will force you to play up-close anyway. Also use it against characters with weaker wake-up options, that way you can power up after kano ball without fear.

i just figured commando probably does the best against raiden. hes gonna get in anyway, so why not get parried a lot?

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
i've been having a great deal of success playin commando against mileena's bitch ass. finally i can troll parries as much as she trolls rolls and teleport kicks. just dont parry these low. cybernetic i use against lui kang's fireball spammers. lastly use cutthroat against ermac....heres a vid of me (as kano) vs my rival (ermac)

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
i've been having a great deal of success playin commando against mileena's bitch ass. finally i can troll parries as much as she trolls rolls and teleport kicks. just dont parry these low. cybernetic i use against lui kang's fireball spammers. lastly use cutthroat against ermac....heres a vid of me (as kano) vs my rival (ermac)
Take the ultimate challenge, and grab her out of her X ray like I did

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Why do you believe in Cutthroat in any matchup? Those meter dependent tools, man...
Might as well not use the short range overhead when you don't have meter, but you're using meter for any confirm anyway, and also using meter for an unguranteed damage boost... and to be safe on EX knife toss, or combo breakers...!

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Why do you believe in Cutthroat in any matchup? Those meter dependent tools, man...
Might as well not use the short range overhead when you don't have meter, but you're using meter for any confirm anyway, and also using meter for an unguranteed damage boost... and to be safe on EX knife toss, or combo breakers...!
Meter dependent sure, but its still better tools than the other 2. b121 even without meter is 0 on block, easy hitconfirms, a lot easier to land if you do a d3 to extend their hitbox first. EX damage boost is a trap and shouldn't be used. The bar is better spent getting the guaranteed highish damage cutthroat can get(38% midscreen, 41-45% in corner) , and if you think you need it just go for the regular.

Just my opinion, but Cutthroat is the only real option for Kano.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Meter dependent sure, but its still better tools than the other 2. b121 even without meter is 0 on block, easy hitconfirms, a lot easier to land if you do a d3 to extend their hitbox first. EX damage boost is a trap and shouldn't be used. The bar is better spent getting the guaranteed highish damage cutthroat can get(38% midscreen, 41-45% in corner) , and if you think you need it just go for the regular.

Just my opinion, but Cutthroat is the only real option for Kano.
faster mid knives, longer normals and meterless hitconfirms in cybernetic, dawg, with that dank-ass restand ender, too.
B2 3 being safe, B2 reaching half screen, always having breaker until I choose to go for wild EX knives true blockstrings... Cyber is it for me.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
faster mid knives, longer normals and meterless hitconfirms in cybernetic, dawg, with that dank-ass restand ender, too.
B2 3 being safe, B2 reaching half screen, always having breaker until I choose to go for wild EX knives true blockstrings... Cyber is it for me.
Unsafe mid-knives(vs 95%safe high knife), b2 being much slower than cutthroat f2, which will get you killed against other footsies characters like Kotal and Cassie. Not exactly a seller to me.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
What is this Cutthroat EX power up is not useful? You guys do realize that it has a hit of armor and that without using another bar you can in most cases get more damage than you would get with a one bar bloody slice combo right? Plus it scares the shit out of people because no one wants to get hit when it's on. Sure it's a risk, like much in the game. Learn the gaps and specials that can get shit on with EX power up. Other than that he has the undisputed best corner game of all the variations, even with his meh at best b1 hitbox.

Remember when the game came out and a few guys mentioned that CT will prob be the base or best all around variation? Then we all got caught up in wow look at Cyber, it was the talk of the town and we all got into him. Then we realized he's a bit behind and now we're kind of back where we started in a way.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
What is this Cutthroat EX power up is not useful? You guys do realize that it has a hit of armor and that without using another bar you can in most cases get more damage than you would get with a one bar bloody slice combo right? Plus it scares the shit out of people because no one wants to get hit when it's on. Sure it's a risk, like much in the game. Learn the gaps and specials that can get shit on with EX power up. Other than that he has the undisputed best corner game of all the variations, even with his meh at best b1 hitbox.
The armour is super situtational, and yes you can get more damage, but its not guaranteed. Guaranteed damage > damage you have to do guesswork for and buff goes away after 1 hit. Cutthroat is crazy bar hungry as it stands and can't afford to waste it on maybes. Like I said its a trap and a waste of bar.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Cybernetic: this is the variation i am the least experienced with. i mainly use it when the opponent has a low profile attack that beats high knives, like slide or low fireball, or outzones kanos other variations in other ways. and obviously it has good footsie tools. i think its the best "meter" variation due to meterless damage and knives on low block, so you might use it in matchups against huge damage characters for breakers. also mb knife is a great armor (and iceclone) breaker.

definitely: kung jin, liu kang, mileena, reptile, Sub-Zero, kotal kahn, predator

maybe: kano, kitana, kotal kahn erron black.

edit: put raiden into commando, kotal and predator into cyber
did you play Cybernetic against me? I guess you always played commando :p

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
The armour is super situtational, and yes you can get more damage, but its not guaranteed. Guaranteed damage > damage you have to do guesswork for and buff goes away after 1 hit. Cutthroat is crazy bar hungry as it stands and can't afford to waste it on maybes. Like I said its a trap and a waste of bar.
I don't know about bar hungry, he gets 30% meterless off his f212 which is higher than Cybernetic and Commando, he has a safe overhead that combos for a not too bad but not impressive 20%, and he only loses out on mid screen low starter damage to cybernetic. With meter he just flat out bops either of his other variations in damage, and I don't think that buff armor is overrated at all TBH I think it's underrated right now. Once you condition your opponent to wakeup, throw on that EX buff and stuff there wakeup and blow them up for 50%.

Characters for Cutthroat: Kung Lao, Scorpion, Mileena, Predator, Shinnok, Erron Black, Ermac, Roo Kang, Quan Cheese, Raiden, Takeda, Jacqui, Reptile, Kotal Kahn(Only Blood god and Sun God, then the MU is free), Sub Zero(if you know the MU well then it can be pretty good)

Cybernetic: Jason, Jax, Sonya, Sub zero, Takeda, Kung Jin, Jacqui, Johnny Cage, Kotal Kahn, Ferra Torr, D'vorah, Goro, Cassie Cage

Commando: Beats me.

Last edited:

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I don't know about bar hungry, he gets 30% meterless off his f212 which is higher than Cybernetic and Commando, he has a safe overhead that combos for a not too bad but not impressive 20%, and he only loses out on mid screen low starter damage to cybernetic. With meter he just flat out bops either of his other variations in damage, and I don't think that buff armor is overrated at all TBH I think it's underrated right now. Once you condition your opponent to wakeup, throw on that EX buff and stuff there wakeup and blow them up for 50%.
If you can nail the situational armour on ex buff I would always go for it, but its just like I said situational. Cutthroat needs the bar for corner carry(at 50% of screen he can carry you to the corner with 1 bar and get near 40), and then once in the corner its just much better to get your guaranteed 41-45% depending on your starter than throwing the bar away and hoping to high moon they guess wronged or didn't do anything.

Anyone who thinks cyber outzones predator hqt just hasn't played a very good one yet. Hqt takes much more time and execution to master it's zoning but once it's down, I have no doubt it will outzone cybernetics
HQT strongest zoning variation in the game by a country mile. As a Kotal main I laugh off Cyber anyways it actually sucks at zoning, getting in is easy. HQT though I now consider Kotals single worst matchup(and he's already got some bad ones I tell you what).

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
If you can nail the situational armour on ex buff I would always go for it, but its just like I said situational. Cutthroat needs the bar for corner carry(at 50% of screen he can carry you to the corner with 1 bar and get near 40), and then once in the corner its just much better to get your guaranteed 41-45% depending on your starter than throwing the bar away and hoping to high moon they guess wronged or didn't do anything.
All that Shazam from Injustice gives me psychic knowledge about wakeups, maybe that's why I think he's so good lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Nah man you have to explore the variation more. I used to think the exact same thing a while Back.

EX Buff imo is best used as an armor punisher and corner killer when you know MU's. I'll use the poster boys. Say you're fighting a Sub-zero who is slide happy, or you knock him down and you read EX WU Slide is coming. You can EX Buff for a 45% F2 meterless combo and still have enough buff left for Knockdown pressure. Read this right in the corner and you're getting 50% meterless for the counter.

Now take Scorpion. Any time you block EX Tele interrupt the 2nd hit with EX Buff and F2 for 45%. Etc. Works well on reads and counters in a lot more MU's. Not so well when just using it mid screen to power up.

In the corner it shines. End a combo in Kano Ball and EX Buff pressure the knockdown. If they guess wrong on the 50/50 you take 50% and likely the round. If they armor WU and you block and punish, it's 50% and likely the round. If you get hit with an armored WU while going for a 50/50 you blew a bar. So the odds are in your favor to basically win rounds in the corner.

Kano has some issues, I of all people have been very vocal about that, but the EX Buff is pretty legit.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Nah man you have to explore the variation more. I used to think the exact same thing a while Back.
In the corner it shines. End a combo in Kano Ball and EX Buff pressure the knockdown. If they guess wrong on the 50/50 you take 50% and likely the round. If they armor WU and you block and punish, it's 50% and likely the round. If you get hit with an armored WU while going for a 50/50 you blew a bar. So the odds are in your favor to basically win rounds in the corner.

Kano has some issues, I of all people have been very vocal about that, but the EX Buff is pretty legit.
That's the thing, I have been playing cutthroat as my side character since launch. After exploring the variation more it is now my opinion other than armouring through the odd thing ex buff has no place using up your bar. At first I was all about doing ex buff after ball kncokdown in corner but over time I just don't dig it. Maybe its because of my SF background but a significant bar commitment to what amounts to mere guesswork is a crying shame. Kano has good damage in the corner as it stands and I am more than happy to use it for when I *know* I have the hit in vs just whatever.

Like if it works for you keep on rocking, but to me no dice.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's the thing, I have been playing cutthroat as my side character since launch. After exploring the variation more it is now my opinion other than armouring through the odd thing ex buff has no place using up your bar. At first I was all about doing ex buff after ball kncokdown in corner but over time I just don't dig it. Maybe its because of my SF background but a significant bar commitment to what amounts to mere guesswork is a crying shame. Kano has good damage in the corner as it stands and I am more than happy to use it for when I *know* I have the hit in vs just whatever.

Like if it works for you keep on rocking, but to me no dice.
Yea I hear Ya. It is exactly that, a high risk high reward type of deal. If I only have one bar or one slightly more than one I normally won't risk it. Variation uses too much meter as it is and builds it back slow. If I have anything over a bar and a half I almost always go for it in the corner. The worst feeling is when you get poked out of it though lol.

For sure its best used on the reads and counters though.