What's new

Which characters are most difficult to rush down and pressure?

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Thanks for all this discussion, guys. It’s good and I really appreciate it. However, I want to reiterate that I’m not looking for good zoners, good keepaway, good runaway, or anything like that. I’m not looking for characters that are difficult to GET close to, I’m looking for characters that are scary to BE close to. I’m looking for a character that makes Sonya or Liu Kang nervous to rush down because they feel anxious being that close. Does that make sense?
Well if that’s the approach Jacqui is the scariest thing in-close in this game, thing is she’s so scary that nobody is going to get close to you willingly, but the whole idea of 1st round KO is one-touch death of things go perfectly.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thanks for all this discussion, guys. It’s good and I really appreciate it. However, I want to reiterate that I’m not looking for good zoners, good keepaway, good runaway, or anything like that. I’m not looking for characters that are difficult to GET close to, I’m looking for characters that are scary to BE close to. I’m looking for a character that makes Sonya or Liu Kang nervous to rush down because they feel anxious being that close. Does that make sense?
Think a few of us read this wrong then. You mean a character that is tough to approach, but not a zoner or runaway character? In that case the answers I would go with are a bit easier.

Baraka- Excellent frames on his normals and strings. Multiple punishment KBs that are in-game practical, that lead to 35-50% midscreen. Good range with extended range in Variation 1. Even a mid ranged normal attack in there. Easier to play/pick up/execute than most characters. It's not fun for Sonya and Liu types to get too reckless rushing down Baraka because he can make them pay big time.

Cassie- Possibly the best frames in the game. 9F mid that has an OH for the second hit, with two low starters to keep them honest up close. Low shot to stop zoners. Good hit advantage on hits to slow them down. A 13F far reaching mid that leads to combos and stuffs opponents attacks. All around character with no real weakness.

Or you can just pick up Erron Black because 6F D1, 7F D3, godlike normals/strings, godlike damage, godlike FB, godlike mixups, godlike corner, godlike keepout, godlike keep in. But I find you to have more integrity than that.

I dunno that was like day 2 of my Jacqui, and I’m stronger with her now. I’m still not great though I forget to cancel into clench all the time and I can’t do f2,2. It did feel bad though. I was simply at a loss as to what to do. I can’t remember if O had b2,2 in my arsenal at that time, but even that is unsafe on block. Yeah if you have any idea what I could’ve done I’d like to lab it.
I'll PM you.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Liu and Sonya are those characters. Jacqui was built that way with her grabby variation but idk if she has that as official yet

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yea it was you. Your Jacqui was good though, but I'm not sure that's a good MU. I was crouching so much at that range because if you Dash Punch I can get the KB on recovery, and then a S2 combo later in the round. So it makes you have to hesitate on using it to get in. There's no air threat so I can D2 jumps on reaction and then just walk balk/jump back at range. Then finalize it with a far away tele when I get too close to the corner. It's still early but that feels like a losing MU. One of the only ones where the character I'm facing is strong but I really don't care what they can do.

For characters without a teleport or a strong counter projectile (the way Sonya can) Cetrion shines the most against.
You gotta walk her down and then make a hard read. It feels like one of those Whiteboi from Injustice 2 MUs. This game is really leveling up my patience. Gonna turn into Chris G by 2020 playing 1st Round KO at this rate :D

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
You gotta walk her down and then make a hard read. It feels like one of those Whiteboi from Injustice 2 MUs. This game is really leveling up my patience. Gonna turn into Chris G by 2020 playing 1st Round KO at this rate :D
Thing is you start walking her down, you eat chip and pushback, then she teleports to the other side. I lost rounds to salt shaker where I was never hit clean, just chopped to death.

Actually Rushdown is Jade's main weakness, that and teleports. Rushdown characters, once they get in, have a very easy time destroying her especially in the corner because her wakeups, especially the launcher, are t-rex limbs and they can just walk back a bit and then full combo you again then if you don't do the wakeup they can just keep doing it for free.
Jade is hella negative and her only + string is flawless blockable. She also deals no combo damage unless you didn't know about her i28 f2.
People misunderstand Jade currently, but that's because she's easy to beat and nobody needed to lab her yet.
Her strength is spacing against those who can't teleport. Sadly, she has far more weaknesses than strengths in the current meta.

I'd say Liu is the hardest to rush down. He has superior zoning and superior pressure to everyone in the game.
her d4 is one of the best in the game but it doesn't lead to anything