What's new

Where are the rest of the tourney variations

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Have you seen seen some of the moves? They're not balanced at all. Some are really good, some are just trash. Some of the variations we have now aren't good simply cause the moves aren't worth having on their own or the other variation just does a better job. There's work that needs to be done on what we have now. I'd rather see that get fixed than just letting all hell break loose.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Considering how long it's taking just for the first balance patch, don't expect new variations any time soon.

I honestly still can't believe the game released with only 2 variations, many of which are completely useless. At least you knew what the purpose of the variations were in MKX. I look at Cage's 2nd variation with the sunglasses and the stupid camera and I'm just like.....what is this shit?

I honestly don't foresee NRS adding more variations until sometime next year. The majority of the ones they have now seemed to be just thrown together, so I don't have high hopes for the new ones, either, if they come at all.

Considering how long it's taking just for the first balance patch, don't expect new variations any time soon.

I honestly still can't believe the game released with only 2 variations, many of which are completely useless. At least you knew what the purpose of the variations were in MKX. I look at Cage's 2nd variation with the sunglasses and the stupid camera and I'm just like.....what is this shit?

I honestly don't foresee NRS adding more variations until sometime next year. The majority of the ones they have now seemed to be just thrown together, so I don't have high hopes for the new ones, either, if they come at all.
Seconding this. It's baffling how they went from the clean and clear visions on the variations for MKX (which balanced or not at least made sense) the grab bag of random shit we've got now.

I get that maybe they switched aims halfway through dev and decided to go from make your own to variations, but jesus I feel like they didn't even try to theme half of these or make them make any sense.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I feel like Kitana has untapped potential
Shao Kahn for sure
Sonya would potentially be nasty AF if her jump in kick ability were tournament legal. That gives her a jump-in along the lines of Geras' belly splash.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
They didnt have time to finish them. They realized they didnt have a cohesive vision for how each character would play so they went "fuck it we need to hit deadline-- just tell them we'll make more tournament variations later down the line when our game is actually finished."

I expect more variations and an actual balance patch in August or September.

They just need to make customized variations tournament legal - or at least legal in the ranked sets and kombat leagues for those of us who don't want our gaming experience nerfed out of a concern over what happens at some tournament we won't be going to.

There don't appear to be any combinations of abilities which overpower a character to a tier or two above current Sonya or Geras and would somehow break the game by being in there and, even if there was, the customization comes with a built in method of dealing with those anyways.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
They just need to make customized variations tournament legal - or at least legal in the ranked sets and kombat leagues for those of us who don't want our gaming experience nerfed out of a concern over what happens at some tournament we won't be going to.

There don't appear to be any combinations of abilities which overpower a character to a tier or two above current Sonya or Geras and would somehow break the game by being in there and, even if there was, the customization comes with a built in method of dealing with those anyways.
If Scorpion could zone with fireball in addition to his already weak sauce base abilities? This forum would melt down

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It's frustrating. I thought at one point they mentioned that at some point, even if not at launch, there were going to be at least 3-5 variations per character, with the goal of having all of a character's moves available in at least 1 competitive variation. Putting so much work into allowing a customization system, and then not allowing that system to be showcased at the highest level is just strange.

If Scorpion could zone with fireball in addition to his already weak sauce base abilities? This forum would melt down
I can't see why. Giving him zoning with a fireball wouldn't be significantly different than his already having zoning with a spear and that seems unrelated to any of the things which people have a problem with Scorpion about. That doesn't strike me as even moderately overpowered, let alone overpowered to a game breaking level which shows why customizable abilities are a problem.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I’d love more variations, but that is like number 36 on my list of problems. This game feels like competing against someone to finish math homework the fastest - It’s competitive, but it sure ain’t fun. I’m expecting a huge patch that will dramatically shake things up b/c those rooms are dead online. Surely they’ve compared aggregates against past games by now and seen this game needs a new hook. I’m optimistic we’ll get a more opened up game.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Yeah, I do like the game, but this next patch is going to be pivotal in whether I'm going to continue to play it or not. This could have been the best game they ever put out, but has been plagued by hitbox issues, lack of content three months into the game, the absurdity of the top tiers etc. Hoping they get it right sooner rather than later.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Sonya would potentially be nasty AF if her jump in kick ability were tournament legal. That gives her a jump-in along the lines of Geras' belly splash.
I think we can all agree that Sonya is already nasty AF. Come on now. She's arguably the best character in the game. She needs nothing, aside from nerfs.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
If their plan was to slowly give new variations as the game goes by, people will lose interest to even try them out. Custom Variations is what made this game fun. I know i know....you can still play em in casual. But with this BIG emphasis on tournaments, why waste my time if I cant play them in tournaments? I already stopped playing this game because it already got stale. I just dont like playing this vanilla version at all. Im hoping they make better decisions with this game and not get caught up on their premier success.