What's new

What's the Most Enjoyable Fighting Game You've Ever Played?

As my username suggests, it's really hard for me to pick just one "funnest" fighting game. In no particular order these are the ones I love
1)SF 2 (ww,ce,turbo) SF V
2) mk1,mk2,mk3,umk3,mkx
3)xmen vs SF,
4)mvci

kevkopdx

Noob
Mortal Kombat II - played in the arcade... the shade of Kitana corner combos... I had to be ready to fight irl with some of that shit lol loved it

UGL Preon

The Casual God
MK9: Not having a good 2D MK game for 15 years left us chomping at the bit to get involved in this nostalgia. Every character in the cast was dope (Even Sheeva) landing that low command grab was so satisfying. One of the few games where I wanted to learn every character.

Injustice 1: Although some will call me crazy there was something about the combos and sound design involved with getting the hits that had a higher sense of impact and fierceness with each blow. The combat just felt more fun, albeit a bit stiffer opposed to Injustice 2. Most moves in I2 I don't feel the impact of too much. And once again every character felt fun to play as. And I think Injustice 2 is the first NRS game where I had not motivation to learn the entire cast. (No its not a bad game)

CvS2: Was trash at fighting games but playing with my friends in casuals was always fun. We even ran little side bets on "AI". We'd pick teams and a groove and let them play eachother 2 out of 3. If your team lost, you bought the pizza.

DBFZ: I mean... this is literally my Childhood in beautiful buttery smooth combat at my control? Dope story, doper gameplay, and a dope soundtrack? Lots of references, callbacks, effort into the game. Its spicy!

UMK3: All around fun and the first MK I actually played and loved it at my local arcade.

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger: First real attempt at an Anime Fighter, but man falling in love with Grappling through Iron Tager made me the Bane player I am now. Landing them 720Cs & 1080Ds were too lit. But damn anyone who tried to justify Nu 13's existence!

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So many, but I would have to say among my fav fighters ever would be:

MK 9-Great game, easily one of the best MK's ever options for every kind of player with legendary characters.

UMK3-Just one of the best MK games ever made, period. Was everything great about MK 3 but done properly and a lot better. I can play this game all day on any console, port or emulation.

MKT-Hard to not love this game for either N64 or PSX, it's just fun.

MK4-Most underrated MK game, gets so much hate.

MK2-A klassic, one of MK's best...nuff said.

MK1-The game that started it all for not just MK but for me into fighting games.

MK Deadly Alliance-This game saved MK the first time around, should get props.

MK Deception-First legit MK to go online without an emulator or rom, good times.

MK X-Followed up on MK 9's success even if it didn't quite deliver that same impact MK9 had, it's fun.

TMNT:Tournament Fighters(SNES Version)

Injustice Gods Among Us-Great start to a new franchise to rep comic book fighters proper.

I2-Everything the first Injustice had and then some, arguably the most content ever in a fighting game with high replay value.

MK vs DC(I feel this game got the MK 4 treatment in some ways for the newer generation, was fun, interesting but was mocked for the watered down fatalities I still liked it though, not as much as other MK's though)

Clayfighter(yeah I know it's a ripoff of MK but still)

Soul Calibur 2, this was by far my favorite of the series.

Justice League:Task Force(DC's first fighting game long forgotten that Injustice got right, but still fun)

Smash Brothers Brawl(Arguably the best crossover fighting franchise, and who doesn't like Nintendo characters?, I know Melee is preferred but this was one of my favs)

Smash Brothers Wii U(Similar to Brawl, some interesting crossover characters and I love Nintendo characters duking it out)

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo(just a classic and IMHO the best SF game ever made)

SF The Movie game(I see this game as just fun, I know it's far from the best but I love how they tried to MK-ize SF with the movie versions of SF characters)

Killer Instinct 1/2(to me this was my fav KI game, just fun)

Eternal Champions(ok one of many MK ripoffs but was fun)

Mace The Dark Ages-Fun game, even if it was an MK ripoff at least it was done by Midway the same guys so they kind of ripped off themselves lol

Primal Rage-Also another Midway game similar to MK but with dinosaurs.

War Gods-Fun game

Thrill Kill-a cheesy MK ripoff but was actually the first 4 player fighting game, so props to that.

Bio-Freaks-another game from Midway had a MK+Thrill Kill vibe to it

Think that's all I got for now

Last edited:

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Def Jam FFNY was awesome (I would go nuts if they would make another one like that, one can dream right)
SF2 (child memories)
SF4 series
MK2 and UMK3 was da shit

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
When I was a kid: Mortal Kombat, Tekken 3 and Samurai Shodown.
When I grew up after a long time: MKX, Tekken 7, Guilty Gears Xrd Rev and Dragonball.

It's been a long time that a FG would pull the lever of enjoyment, and this game happened to be Dragonball. The last time I enjoyed the FG was MK4 and Samurai Shodown II before I stopped getting interested in them.

I stopped getting into Tekken series, because I lost my childhood friend, who I used to play it with him, at a car crash. :'(

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Too many to list
-Def Jam Fight for NY: I’m still waiting on a game that blew my mind and was as fun with friends as this.
-Urban Reign: what feels like the only game that tried to use Def Jam’s formula. Lots of fun can be had with this game, team throws and attacks are too hype.
-KoF Maximum Impact RA: this game was a dream match for me, it was a fusion of Tekken and KoF gamepay alongside sick OST, lots of fun and interesting characters, loads of content with alternate costumes and colors that reference other games and it has a unique wall/corner engine this is probably my #1 all time fg or close to it, it’s still being played in the arcades where I grew up.
-KoF13: the other kof I really love, This was the game that rekindled the competitive fire in me. I played it from release till there was literally 0 people that I can play it offline with. Sadly it’s online is trash but one of the best 2d games of all time imo, and it’s easily the best looking 2d game of all time.
-MK Deception: holy shit Konquest mode, I put more into this than most RPGs I’ve played. This game had so much soul it was crazy, it didn’t age well but I had buttloads of fun with it. It holds an extra special place for me coz I met my now wife because of this game.
-Bloody Roar series: shame it’s a series that’ll never see light again, one of the first ps1 games I owned and had such a unique concept and is a blast to play, it’s music was super sick, character designs were amazing and was a really fun 2d/3d hybrid. Someone should buy the rights and make a freakin new BR.
-Battle Stadium DON: Smash bros is an obvious one but this bootleg Smash cousin was the shit. Combining Dragonball, one piece and Naruto in a Smash bros game made it such a “holy shit” game, if you liked any of the 3 series this game was such a fanservice treat. lots of my friends that I met coz of this game are still close friends to me today.
Skullgirls: most fun you’ll get in a 3v3 game imo by far, such a fun game with lots of room for creativity all around if you like the VS games engine. It’s community is great too which is a plus and it was my first top 8 in a major so It’s nothing but love from me for this game.
Injustice: finally getting a proper superhero game made playing injustice an infinitely enjoyable ride to me. The super fun story mode and having almost all my DC favorites in the roster was a big plus for me. I still play i2 because i liked i1 so much even if i2 didn’t hit the same chords with me, but it gave me Starfire and Ivy so I can’t knock it.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Wow that's basically saying which is my favorite fighting game of all time. For me, something that is truly fun to play is something that it is great from all aspects. I can easily say that Mortal Kombat is my all time favorite franchise because it is, hence the most fun. I've played almost every MK Fighting game, with the exception of MKG, MK:TE, MK:U (all are console exclusive ports of MK4, MKDA and MKD. Those 3 games I did play of course), MK:SM and MK:SF but I played every other MK game at least for decent amount of time if not super long time (and also MK:MSZ for just once, on a handheld like console, which of course wasn't the main version of the game), and they all had more then enough to offer that made it so fun and exciting to play.

Of course I had fun with other games from other franchises like IJ, MVC, SC, DS etc;

Also on that topic, I wanna mention that Marvel Super Heroes from the MVC series is one of the most underrated Fighting Games ever, it was awesome all around and the way this game uses the Gems was so good and unique, and yes, it was hella fun as well.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Injustice 1: Although some will call me crazy there was something about the combos and sound design involved with getting the hits that had a higher sense of impact and fierceness with each blow. The combat just felt more fun, albeit a bit stiffer opposed to Injustice 2. Most moves in I2 I don't feel the impact of too much.
I agree with this 100%. I played solely Nightwing in Injustice 1 but all his moves had fantastic sound effects and his combos were so satisfying to hit, even the simple ones. All his moves, especially escrima fury, staff spin, and ground pound you could really feel them hitting and the sound effects were eargasm.

I play only Wowo in Inj2 and the only time I really feel I'm hitting someone is when Hestia's blessing is active (lasso trait buff) and you get that distinct whip lash sound when you hit one of the lasso moves.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Fuck me man just went to watch videos to actually compare the two games and the difference is fucking insane. Listen to the sound effects in a few of these combos:

And then in these....

This is so disappointing.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
In addition to DBFz, the runner up for me would be SFIV.

MKX got me in to FGs, but the PC port didn't work, there was no offline scene here and the netcode was garbo at launch.. so I had gotten a taste of FGs but couldn't play the damn game, and I started to cast around for one I COULD play, and at the time, that was SFIV.

Sfiv was so much fun because this was the game that I learned competitive FGs with. I was losing badly and struggling with even the most basic stuff, but the discovery process was really driving my enjoyment. Going from not being able to throw a fireball or even do a half circle motion, to gradually getting more consistent, to it becoming complete second nature, into basic combos into longer combos into FADC stuff and so on..learning about frame data and what all of it means. Learning how to lab. Was oki and yomi was and how to apply pressure and understand frame traps and so on.

So, while playing the game itself wasn't this incredibly fun experience a lot of the time, as I was getting completely destroyed by years-invested vets,I was still having a blast and could not WAIT to get back into the grind every day, of learning and putting it all together.

The opposite of the topic here, least fun, goes to SFV. That's not a jab at the game either. I think it's a good game and s3 looks really good. I have also really enjoyed a lot of my time playing.. but something about the game design makes it the most miserable, anger inducing game I've ever played when things aren't going well and I'm losing... And even when winning a lot of time I find myself annoyed and not quite enjoying myself because I don't feel great about how I took a win, I feel like I got outplayed and deserved to lose but some weird interaction or lucky guess let me take a win . That said, SFV can be a tense, enjoyable experience and it's a great game in many ways. I've played it numerous times in the past and honestly, I'll play it again in the future (I REALLY like Blanka) so I don't want to start an sfv bashfest or anything.. just thought it made an interesting counterpoint to DBFz because it shares many of the qualities DBFz does that make that game my number 1.

1- Street fighter ex 2 plus.
2- Mortal Kombat X.
3- Injustice 2.
4- Dragon Ball Fighterz. This one might end to be the number one to me some day.:)

Last edited:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Mine's a toss-up between MK9 and the 2013 Killer Instinct.

MK9 got me into fighting games on a competitive level, and I'll never forget the fun times I had tagging up with friends. I would LOVE to be able to do that again in a future installment, hopefully MK11.

Killer Instinct had the best netcode I'd ever seen at the time. Maybe it was because I was just coming off of MK9, but I couldn't feel any difference between offline play and online which was pretty amazing. Also thoroughly enjoyed the mechanics and mind games. There was no "shit I got tagged, now I have to eat this whole combo." Also baiting breakers and then counterbreaking them and locking them out was one of the best feelings I've ever had playing a fighting game. So damn satisfying. It was like you were literally in their head.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Tekken on ps1 - first fg i ever got to own and just grind into my memory, I bet i still know every string for every character

GGXX The Midnight Carnival on ps2 - this took my whole slate of free time in college and the first fg i ever got good at and breached a bit into the fgc. Figuring out dust loops without the internet was sooooo satisfying! To this day I say come catch some Ky to any challenger.

Smash Melee - endless hours battling my friends, and we went no items 1v1 before we knew that was the preferred format anyway, this game taught me footsies more than any other fg by a mile

Injustice 1 - my true entrance into the fgc and still the most fun I've ever had, story mode was crazy the first time through, the sfx were great, graphics were great (although it's nice having not washed out color in MKX and Inj2) and I learned the whole cast and every piece of frame data

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Or Fighters Megamix. You got to fight as the car from Daytona USA, or some giant cactus thing. That game had the best guest characters ever.

Last edited: