What's new

What's the deal with Legacy Characters?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This thought occurred to me on day one but I decided to wait and see if I felt more validated in my assumptions after a while. And I did. I'll just list the legacy characters.

Aquaman
Bane
Batman
Black Adam
Catwoman
Cyborg
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Harley
Joker
Superman

Not listing Wonder Woman, because she honesty isn't one in this game. Outside of Cyborg(who I actually think is good) and Joker(who idk), all of these characters are regarded as really powerful. Adam, Batman, Aquaman, and Superman are almost universally accepted as taking up 4 of the top 5 easily. The only new characters I ever see brought up in top 10 conversations are Deadshot and Atrocitus. This isn't not just about the legacy characters being "better", and I don't think the new characters are "bad". Sonic Fox, MIT, P2W do well with Deadshot, Tekken Master and Pig do well with Atrocitus. I'm not saykng the new characters are bad. Imo, they are two different rosters designed for different games and in some ways they don't mesh well together at all. The legacy characters feel a lot more complete from examining their tools.
Am I imagining all this?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I think its just early. Jury is still out. Legacy characters who havent changed much mean that players can dominate early. As people flesh out the full cast over the next few months, we should see the rise of new characters. If we dont, then I'll revisit your point.

For now, its way too early to say. We'll see how things pan out.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think its just early. Jury is still out. Legacy characters who havent changed much mean that players can dominate early. As people flesh out the full cast over the next few months, we should see the rise of new characters. If we dont, then I'll revisit your point.

For now, its way too early to say. We'll see how things pan out.
That's a great point. All of these Batman players have spent years mastering their character, while these new characters are merely weeks old.

Even still, just comparing tools from a very basic level I think there is kind of a disconnect between the two rosters.

Legacy characters i feel were fleshed out alittle better. I mean they were already great charcters from Injustice 1, but the fact that they "added" special moves to find in mother boxes it just feels like they stripped most characters of possible base moves. Thats why i think the new characters feel alittle incomplete to me. Opinions?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The new characters looks like they were built to specialize in something particularly, and maybe aren't the greatest at everything else. The legacy characters feel way more complete and well rounded. Supergirl is the only new character that feels well rounded, like a jack of all trades character, but she's not that great.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Most of the legacy characters were already "balanced" and in top tiers in the last game, so they just transition the same way.
Injustice 2 plays a lot like injustice 1 so it would make sense that they are good, however I don't like that a lot of the new characters feel like they are lacking depth. Not saying they suck or anything like that, but it feels like the amount of strings they have is significantly less than others.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
people think bane is top 10?

i figured him a solid mid/upper-mid this time around

Error

DF2+R2
Most of the legacy characters were already "balanced" and in top tiers in the last game, so they just transition the same way.
Injustice 2 plays a lot like injustice 1 so it would make sense that they are good, however I don't like that a lot of the new characters feel like they are lacking depth. Not saying they suck or anything like that, but it feels like the amount of strings they have is significantly less than others.
I feel like it's the opposite, the new characters feel balanced in their own niche playstyle and the legacy ones are busted because they can do too much.

So you want her to have zero weakness? go play MK9 Kabal or Inj1 MMH lol
Or Aquaman, Superman and Batman in I2 lol

So you want her to have zero weakness? go play MK9 Kabal or Inj1 MMH lol
First of all there are plenty of characters with no weakness in this game but thats not what I was saying at all. I said weaknesses. Her mixup game is extremely weak and always full combo punishable and its almost impossible to get it started because of how short ranged all of her buttons are. Her only move with enough range to check her opponent who literally just walks back is her d3 but this is full combo punishable on block and an opponent will take that 6% all day instead of a combo and/or pressure. You could spam leap but most of the time itll get anti aired unless you do 3 but then you cant get anything after the 3. If you miraculously do get in with a leap 1 and dont fuck up the strict window to jail the string and made sure you used a fast enough string then you have gaps galore and the opponent can just mash backdash after the first attack and theres nothing you can do about this unless you make a hard read and do 1,bounce cancel but if its blocked youre back in the same position as before down 2 bars of meter that she desperately needs to do any damage. This is not even mentioning her terrible matchups and how her traits pretty much useless in high level play.

Last edited:

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I'd say the logical answer is this:

The legacy characters were characters that already had a foundation that was improved upon in the current game.

Since they were made already with a certain win condition/gameplan in mind, they were given the means to play their game further. The newer characters were designed from scratch.

I'd feel optimistically none of the newer character is necessarily bad in this game, its just they they still have room to develop their gameplan/meta.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
I feel like it's the opposite, the new characters feel balanced in their own niche playstyle and the legacy ones are busted because they can do too much.

Or Aquaman, Superman and Batman in I2 lol
Aquaman weak wake ups, slow short back dash, decent but not the best walk speed. do I continue?