What's new

Question - Shinnok What's The Communities Opinion On Shinnok?

Give me your opinions

• Total voters

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Some people really hating on shinnok like why? he's a good character & is a beast with them unblockable specials:DOGE , but only thing is his only mix up is just a low kick .. Literally one low kick (except his bone sword variation) other then that he's fine, now for all the insignificant speck of feculent scums out there you can suck my ass

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Wow, I'm surprised there are actually quite a few people who are unaware of how much Shinnok sucks compared to most of the cast. I assumed everyone had agreed on him being one of the worst characters in the game. He needs to get buffed, only minor tweaks, nothing too big or drastic, but he needs it.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Last night on stream CDJR and REO said that Shinnok was definitely the worst character in the game.

The worst..

This character is so unsafe and does absolutely terrible damage.

At the same time he requires normally one meter to get more than 25% damage which means that him as a zone control/spacing character can't manage his meter for Breakers.

I think the worst of it all is his special moves are either broken and don't work like the one is Necromancer or have no useful properties besides a little extra damage like Hell Sparks or Krushing Shoulder.

This character is rushed and incomplete.

Immortal

Blind justice....
At this point in time, I can't see anyone being worse than mid-tier. There's still too much to explore.

Week 1: Reptile is the worst - l0l
Week 2: Kitana is the worst - more possible than Reptile, but unlikely
Week 3: Kenshi is the worst - L0L
Week 4: Shinnok is the worst - more possible than Kitana, but still unlikely
Nobody said Kenshi is the worst. He isn't good thats for sure.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Shinnok was actually the worst character upon his debut as well (MK4). Although Raiden did alter the timeline through his vision of the future, Shinnok's destiny was apparently left unchanged.

(Yeah, I chose the fourth option)
His debut was in MK:Mythologies, not MK4. And Shinnok could have anyone's movement in MK4 (besides Goro, I think), so I don't see how he was the worst.

His debut was in MK:Mythologies, not MK4. And Shinnok could have anyone's movement in MK4 (besides Goro, I think), so I don't see how he was the worst.
Well if you want to be nitpicky, "first playable debut" or "first debut in the main fighting game series" lol.

As for him being the worst, you got me. I know tier lists I've seen have ranked Shinnok dead last while Quan Chi is second last (ironically, the 2 "boss characters" were the worst). Probably has something to do with the fact that Shinnok had a difficult time adopting the moveset he wanted while getting rushed down (doing this always cause the game to pause if I recall correctly) and it only lasted for a limited time.

Well if you want to be nitpicky, "first playable debut" or "first debut in the main fighting game series" lol.

As for him being the worst, you got me. I know tier lists I've seen have ranked Shinnok dead last while Quan Chi is second last (ironically, the 2 "boss characters" were the worst). Probably has something to do with the fact that Shinnok had a difficult time adopting the moveset he wanted while getting rushed down (doing this always cause the game to pause if I recall correctly) and it only lasted for a limited time.
Shang tsung didn't had that problem *cough stole the whole moveset not only one cough* :DOGE

Can we start talking matchups and other things already? Lol
I kind of feel like I have an obligation to make sarcastic posts in this thread since I voted for the fourth option.

For the record though, I've been thinking that Shinnok is probably the weakest character in the game so far based on everything I've seen. With that said, I also think it is too early to expect buffs since these are all still premature opinions in the grand scheme of things. It is possible that I, as well as people who share my opinion, could be wrong. Might be some secret tech or playstyle with Shinnok that nobody has explored yet.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Shinnok is a poorly designed character and at his very core is just a discount Shang Tsung. The only viable variation I would recommend to people who really want to play him is Bone Shaper variation as it gives you 50/50 mix-up and better ranged normals also for people looking to use him in tournament play just no there are way better characters with half the hassle.

To be fair, his Imposter variation does give 50/50 mix ups whenever you hit with the mimicry ability. With that frame advantage, you can either attack or grab. You can't tech throws while blocking afterall.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
By far the weakest character, and by far the most underwhelming, unless you're playing Impostor where he does slightly get a little better.

I see him as a good counterpick character with Impostor but by himself he sucks flat out.

General Issues: Has a 3,1,2 string that has a massive hitbox problem (all mids are whiffing after the initial low on a good chunk of the cast and it makes no sense, especially since his animation shows him elbowing you downward), 2,2 does nothing of use except combo filler in Impostor and that's specific. Only has 6 strings unless playing Bone Shaper and they're really underwhelming sans F2,2,4 which is great for whiff punishing. Hellsparks are decent against some characters but can be punished even if all three hit by a good chunk of characters. (I have been divekicked through them by Kung Jin and Lao, Raiden can superman through them even on block when I tested it out, and even when all three are blocked!) Not to mention he does just no damage. 1 bar midscreen is 28%. Even in the corner he does not do amazing damage, was able to get 35% (Not doable in Bone Shaper) throughout all variations without Mimicry combos. Sometimes EX Shoulder Tackle's fireball will whiff as if the second hit of it connects but not the first, the character will simply fall down. That does not happen every time however, which is an oddity.

Bone Shaper: may have a decent safe string in b3/f3,1,d2 but he still gets no damage compared to the rest of the cast, has great pokes but honestly War God Kotal is a way better version of this character minus the hellsparks, which aren't even that great to begin with. Also, in Bone Shaper his projectile is -12 ON HIT. F2, 2, 1+3 is really finicky too, mainly that if your opponent is mid air, the second 2 will sometimes whiff, and the grab portion will almost never connect for the most part.

Necromancer: is just lol worthy. Flick is the biggest gimmick, and he has no mixup so why even use the bar on the EX version to be on advantage (+3) unless you want the damage to kill? Maybe for a throw in the corner but eh. Not to mention you can just wakeup run through it so then you have to use the hellsparks so your opponent doesn't feel like he can get in on you for free, but he can. Unblockable hand is straight up trash. Even on a HKD it will not hit your opponent if they see that 29 frames of beautiful, glowy purple hand startup (EX is 39! All for a whopping 3% more of damage ;) ) because they can backdash it, run past it etc... It does not track well at all. if they even stay on the ground on a HKD they will not get hit. Summoned Fiend is only used for EX combo filler in the corner, because it's just easier to confirm off of hellsparks and it does no considerable damage.

Every character, IMO has something in this game that makes them worth playing, but aside from pokes and the ability to whiff punish for little damage, you could be playing essentially any character and do better. Impostor is the only variation IMO, that can be viable simply because of Mimicry's ability to give you some mixup between a throw, a NJP, b3 into hellsparks (a low) etc... and the ability to vortex them a bit by comboing back into mimicry.

Lastly, I do believe he needs tweaks, but not necessarily HUGE OMEGA buffs to make him top tier, I just want him to be viable in the other variations. He's just not viable for me personally as I do not play Impostor and feel Quan Chi is a better character if you're looking for resets, so I moved on. I know Kit players hate not having mixup, well... You guys at least make up for it in raw damage and better zoning. I know it isn't much, but it's not Shinnok. (Also not saying she doesn't need tweaks either, that's from a pure observational standpoint.)

TL;DR: He needs a lot of help. Doesn't help he was made last either (thanks for @RM Jonnitti for talking to two testers at Paradise Found and letting me know) and was initially designed to have Hellsparks be neutral on block, but was nerfed down later. So, I think he will get buffed eventually, hopefully at least the variations that are not Impostor get a bit beefier. Just again, do NOT give this character too much... Impostor I think is generally okay, if only because the air teleport and Mimicry give him escape options and reset options. Still has supremely unsafe strings, and the one that is -6 on block has no reach in 1,1.

EDIT: I diced up things so it read as sections as to what I think is meh about the character and not random blobs and blurbs.

Last edited:
To be fair, his Imposter variation does give 50/50 mix ups whenever you hit with the mimicry ability. With that frame advantage, you can either attack or grab. You can't tech throws while blocking afterall.
You can release block and tech on reaction...50/50 my ass

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
On a side note though, I'd rather wait for more issues to arise than to buff/fix him now, so I also think waiting until after the EVO season and everything and then taking another look after a few months might be the best way to go.

Last edited:

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Reo said yesterday that Shinnok "might" be the worst right now. (keep in mind he said "might" and that its still so early that nobody knows yet.)