What's new

What would you do if tiers were swapped?

Tweedy

Noob
How so? Please explain that to me, I personally play fighting games for the characters I like.

Tier whoring is an option, sure, but it definitely isn't a respectable one IMO. I feel just hopping from one top tier to another doesn't teach fundamental game play. Also, the player isn't challenging themself by simply picking the best because its the best. We're supposed to play games for fun right?

It's whatever though, everyone has their own opinions.
1. Because you shouldn't care how someone chooses to play, when they're playing within the rules of the game. Using a high tier character, isn't cheating, or anything that the developers didn't intend. If the characters need to be further balanced, that's up to the people who make the game.

2. Acting like people have to be loyal to a certain character, no matter how bad they are, is incredibly weird. It's okay if you choose to play low tier, or choose to stick with one character no matter what happens to them, but to look down upon people for not doing that, is weird isn't it? Is it not? lol

3. Without even putting the money into perspective on these games, it's FUN to compete. People wouldn't be traveling and competing if it sucked. Why is it not respectable if someone wants to maximize their chances of doing well, or in other words, not LIMIT themselves. Again, no one is being actually cheated when they lose to Tanya or any other high tier character.

And to answer another point you made.

"the player isn't challenging themself by simply picking the best because its the best."

Do you believe that? I played DJT the other day and got completely dumpstered 15-2 I think. My characters that I used in the set were Tempest Lao, Kobu Tanya and War God Kotal. To say the least trying to win any rounds was very challenging. I'm sure anyone could play a top tournament player and find a ridiculous challenge, even with the "best" character. Shoot, try picking up the "best" character, and play some of the above average players on this forum, or get a top 8 in the ESL. If you don't like online, go try to make top 8 at a major. Even making it out of pools could be a challenge, if you don't put the time in with that character, which by itself could be a challenge.

Just because a character is the best, or one of the best, doesn't mean that you can't find challenges with that character.

If you meant something else by that, I apologize.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
1. Because you shouldn't care how someone chooses to play, when they're playing within the rules of the game. Using a high tier character, isn't cheating, or anything that the developers didn't intend. If the characters need to be further balanced, that's up to the people who make the game.

2. Acting like people have to be loyal to a certain character, no matter how bad they are, is incredibly weird. It's okay if you choose to play low tier, or choose to stick with one character no matter what happens to them, but to look down upon people for not doing that, is weird isn't it? Is it not? lol

3. Without even putting the money into perspective on these games, it's FUN to compete. People wouldn't be traveling and competing if it sucked. Why is it not respectable if someone wants to maximize their chances of doing well, or in other words, not LIMIT themselves. Again, no one is being actually cheated when they lose to Tanya or any other high tier character.

And to answer another point you made.

"the player isn't challenging themself by simply picking the best because its the best."

Do you believe that? I played DJT the other day and got completely dumpstered 15-2 I think. My characters that I used in the set were Tempest Lao, Kobu Tanya and War God Kotal. To say the least trying to win any rounds was very challenging. I'm sure anyone could play a top tournament player and find a ridiculous challenge, even with the "best" character. Shoot, try picking up the "best" character, and play some of the above average players on this forum, or get a top 8 in the ESL. If you don't like online, go try to make top 8 at a major. Even making it out of pools could be a challenge, if you don't put the time in with that character, which by itself could be a challenge.

Just because a character is the best, or one of the best, doesn't mean that you can't find challenges with that character.

If you meant something else by that, I apologize.
Sure. Lol what i mean is Tanya gets to b1 her way to victory. Lao players are respectable. That character takes a brain atleast. Tanya is just.... In need of something bad to happen to her.

Regardless. I don't mean to cause an argument with you. So just drop it. Playing a character simply because they're the best IN MY OPINION is dishonest. If that's the way you want to play. Then play that way. I enjoy the game other ways. That's all.

Tweedy

Noob
Sure. Lol what i mean is Tanya gets to b1 her way to victory. Lao players are respectable. That character takes a brain atleast. Tanya is just.... In need of something bad to happen to her.

Regardless. I don't mean to cause an argument with you. So just drop it. Playing a character simply because they're the best IN MY OPINION is dishonest. If that's the way you want to play. Then play that way. I enjoy the game other ways. That's all.
An argument? Have I not kept it civil? :(

It just seems to me like there's certain groups of players.

There's people who barely know anything about the game, they go into streams and mash into their keyboards about a player "spamming" a move or combo every time. It seems like a more advanced group of these players, who actually have decent or better knowledge of the game, complain about character choice.

As we all know, whether it be spamming a move, a combo, or picking a high tier character, none of these things are unintended, cheating, glitching, whatever you want to call it. NRS can change their game. This isn't a game that has a horrible broken glitch that can't be patched due to a lack of means. NRS made this game the way it is, and can change it again. Complaining about someone picking a certain character, is petty at best, imo.

Again, not trying to argue. Just sharing my thoughts. If you want to counter any of my points, that's fine, no hostility here.

I'd keep playing Jacqui might pick back up HT if tiers really change, Jason is getting picked up again .... That's about it. I pick characters i like for the most part though i do drop them if they suck to hard.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Considering how long it took me to sellout and drop Kano, I'd probably have an aneurysm. At the very least I'd say screw it, and go back to being an anime trick.