What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao What would kung lao require in KP2?

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
There is no "magic way to best everyone", but that's okay. That's my whole point, he doesn't need to have a magic way to beat every option, that would be unfair. But what he does have, is a counter to every one of the opponents options.

1) Walk back and whiff punish pokes or fast normals.
2) Yeah, like most characters you do have to block to bait armour, or use F4 if you're feeling lucky.
3) D4 check gives follow up pressure on hit and is only slightly - on block. Also opens you up for whiff punish opportunities because of the range D4 leave you on block. If they backdash you do a B321 and catch them into a full combo.
4) Walk back whiff punish won't beat every poke or normal, which is where you Tempest players will have to do a bit of labbing to find out what you can and can't punish. Because of the pushback on ExHat though this is definitely a legit move.

Saying Tempest Lao has no way to open people up is the same as saying Cage has no way to open people up, which is just absurd. Throws and staggers are Lao's best friend, that and his good normals are all he needs to open people up.
well, my point was exactly that he has no way to best everyone else, but everyone else has the tools to best his rushdown.

he has ways to open you up other than throws, but you need to throw ppl a lot before open them up with say, B2. and i mean, he's not really opening you up cause his mixups are godlike, but because you pressed a button when you shouldnt

basically he relies on good spacing but without having the walk speed / normals to space out characters with better overall tools to do so. say for instace, A-List, he hits a d4 (+22) that low profiles every mid, d4 jais into a f3 wich he than can cancel to jail into another mixup in wich you have to guess right to get out off or to not get launched / restand, and you have to hold all of that, it's pretty different than spending a bar to put yourself in a mindgame situation wich sometimes, isnt even in your favour.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
well, my point was exactly that he has no way to best everyone else, but everyone else has the tools to best his rushdown.
I literally just listed ways to beat every problem you mentioned.

basically he relies on good spacing but without having the walk speed / normals to space out characters with better overall tools to do so. say for instace, A-List, he hits a d4 (+22) that low profiles every mid, d4 jais into a f3 wich he can than cancel to jail into another mixup wich you have to guess right to get out off or to not get launched / restand, and you have to hold all of this, it's pretty different than spending a bar to put yourself in a mindgame situation wich sometimes, isnt even in your favour.
His pressure isn't as good as Cage's, and that's okay because Lao has a tele, better anti airs and can punish a lot of things Cage can't with ExSpin. Lao has a lot of utility that Cage doesn't, I'm not saying Lao is better than Cage though cause he probably isn't. But that fact is he isn't under powered in any way so he doesn't need any more changes.

And how exactly is Lao at disadvantage, he's +7? I'm genuinely curious about this.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam

His pressure isn't as good as Cage's, and that's okay because Lao has a tele, better anti airs and can punish a lot of things Cage can't with ExSpin. Lao has a lot of utility that Cage doesn't, I'm not saying Lao is better than Cage though cause he probably isn't. But that fact is he isn't under powered in any way so he doesn't need any more changes.

And how exactly is Lao at disadvantage, he's +7? I'm genuinely curious about this.
it's not that he cant do this stuff, infact, he can do it even without spending a bar with staggers etc... what made ex hat a powerful tool was the fact that you had the possibility to follow up with b3 if someone was gonna try and down poke cause they read a s1 or, you could go for d4 wich was guaranteed and you stopped ppl from trying to armour out. I know it's not easy to grasp, but +7 to lao means he cant follow up with his main strings cause they're pokable, and that's kinda huge for him... if he's gonna stay like this at least make his walk speed better so he can actually make ppl whiff something.

btw Cage has a 3/4 screen safe exSK, Lao's teleport it's unsafe af, not even an option.

i said sometimes it's not in his favour, cause basically you'll lose your turn no matter what your followups are.

Lao is a pure spacing character and his ex hat "pressure" is nothing more than EB ex nade.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam

also I'm not bragging for buffs or say he's dead. so dont get me wrong.. i've learnt to deal with stuff ;)

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
it's not that he cant do this stuff, infact, he can do it even without spending a bar with staggers etc... what made ex hat a powerful tool was the fact that you had the possibility to follow up with b3 if someone was gonna try and down poke cause they read a s1 or, you could go for d4 wich was guaranteed and you stopped ppl from trying to armour out. I know it's not easy to grasp, but +7 to lao means he cant follow up with his main strings cause they're pokable, and that's kinda huge for him... if he's gonna stay like this at least make his walk speed better so he can actually make ppl whiff something.

btw Cage has a 3/4 screen safe exSK, Lao's teleport it's unsafe af, not even an option.

i said sometimes it's not in his favour, cause basically you'll lose your turn no matter what your followups are.

Lao is a pure spacing character and his ex hat "pressure" is nothing more than EB ex nade.
It sucks he doesn't get a semi-guaranteed B3 anymore, and it did hurt him, but that was the whole point because he was just too good. I do genuinely think he should get a guaranteed D4 or his walk back speed should be improved, but the fact is he doesn't and it's not the end of the world for him.

You can stop acting like I don't play Lao too, I've played Tempest and Hat Trick for quite a while now and im actually maining Hat Trick now since he was available in the beta.

And I guess. Maybe comparing him to Cage doesn't work when you look at the whole character, but people have been saying Cage can't open people up since launch because he technically "has no mixups", but anyone with half a mind knows that's just not true.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
It sucks he doesn't get a semi-guaranteed B3 anymore, and it did hurt him, but that was the whole point because he was just too good. I do genuinely think he should get a guaranteed D4 or his walk back speed should be improved, but the fact is he doesn't and it's not the end of the world for him.

You can stop acting like I don't play Lao too, I've played Tempest and Hat Trick for quite a while now and im actually maining Hat Trick now since he was available in the beta.

And I guess. Maybe comparing him to Cage doesn't work when you look at the whole character, but people have been saying Cage can't open people up since launch because he technically "has no mixups", but anyone with half a mind knows that's just not true.
fair enough bud :)

but as for Beta tempest, he cant hold with some of the dirt in this game :( anymore

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
but as for Beta tempest, he cant hold with some of the dirt in this game :( anymore
That's for sure, I think he's very balanced right now though. Hopefully they tone down all of the top tiers, instead of just half of them. I'm guessing they will as this has only been a beta.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
How dare you say buzzsaw needs help lol. Royal storm needs more help then buzzsaw.
Lol I can only speak on characters I play. After regular low hat on block in pressure Lao can't do anything but block. And that would be cool if there weren't so many mixups. In my play style I spend a lot of meter on ex low hats but that leaves me out of meter for breakers which sucks because characters like Kotal do a lot of damage while Lao does about 30 - 38 %

Carl

Noob
Y
Lol I can only speak on characters I play. After regular low hat on block in pressure Lao can't do anything but block. And that would be cool if there weren't so many mixups. In my play style I spend a lot of meter on ex low hats but that leaves me out of meter for breakers which sucks because characters like Kotal do a lot of damage while Lao does about 30 - 38 %
I agree with u. I love buzzsaw more than tempest yet i use a shit load of meter to get damage then i get stuck in the corner and i get raped and cant break lol. Fingers crossed buzzsaw might get assistance.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
oh yeah, and for hat trick, make 112124 hat trap set up +3 on block, make hat call backs true strings and true mids from blocksrtings.

Hat trick is the ultimate gimmick variation atm, its basically ronin with - frames on everything instead of + frames on everything
And without the spacing and overhead low that always gets me