What's new

Question What should I know about Reptile?

gunterxc

WOOLAY
I'm sure this post is going to come off as "I'm lazy and find everything for me" but that's not what I want. I've been a Quan Chi player for a couple months and have decided to pick up Reptile. Over the next few days I'm going to be searching for almost anything Reptile related. Is there anything I should know up front that I should know sooner rather than later?

Also, any tips or not would be nice if you feel so inclined.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
You don't have a lot of high damage HML stuff like Quan so you're going to be relying on zoning and punishing juggles a lot more
Learn the exact distance of Reptile's dash and familiarize yourself with it so you can use it to get into your opponent's face quickly, make them scared and force them to block, then hit them with a throw, blockstring, etc.
Reptile has a slower uppercut and poor anti air abilities, so keep mind of your spacing. Slides and Dashes can get you out of some troubles, but don't rely on it since they're easy to punish.

That's all I got, someone better will be with you shortly. Please take a seat and listen to music while you wait

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Quick question.. am I supposed to be able to get a combo off after I launch them up with F2B1? I can never get the dash off so I can get close enough to hit them. In fact, it looks like Reptile is just taking a step when I do it.

Quick question.. am I supposed to be able to get a combo off after I launch them up with F2B1? I can never get the dash off so I can get close enough to hit them. In fact, it looks like Reptile is just taking a step when I do it.
No you can't combo off of that mid screen

gunterxc

WOOLAY
No you can't combo off of that mid screen
Okay, good. I was starting to feel really bad about myself haha.

I know this may sound dumb, but are there any tips for getting out forceballs? I'm using a controller and for some reason I can never reliably get my thumb to do the "backback" motion. I do it more often than not, but sometimes it'll cause me to whiff.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Just slide.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Ways to play Reptile:

-Wait for a muscle movement...then dash
-To initiate offense, dash
-To counter-poke, dash
-To Anti-Air, dash
-Play footsies...why not dash?
-Combos? (321 x Dash , NJP , Fastball , 32 x SlowBall , -Ender-)

Enders:
-321 x Slide (Max Damage)
-321 x SlowBall / EN SlowBall (Offense) (Watch-out for wake-ups and teleports)
-32 x Dash XJP (Gimmick) (Ghetto reset)
-321 x Dash , Dash , Dash (Offense) (Know when and how to do it or Acid Hand will come out)
-2 F3 1+2 (Option select-ish, blocked high-> +5 on block, blocked low or not at all->unscaled 7% dmg and +53 hit adv)
-Uppercut / Reverse Uppercut (To reverse uppercut, FF after Slowball in combo) (Gimmick) (Ghetto reset) (Toasty Boost)

I'm half serious when I wrote this.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Ways to play Reptile:

-Wait for a muscle movement...then dash
-To initiate offense, dash
-To counter-poke, dash
-To Anti-Air, dash
-Play footsies...why not dash?
-Combos? (321 x Dash , NJP , Fastball , 32 x SlowBall , -Ender-)

Enders:
-321 x Slide (Max Damage)
-321 x SlowBall / EN SlowBall (Offense) (Watch-out for wake-ups and teleports)
-32 x Dash XJP (Gimmick) (Ghetto reset)
-321 x Dash , Dash , Dash (Offense) (Know when and how to do it or Acid Hand will come out)
-2 F3 1+2 (Option select-ish, blocked high-> +5 on block, blocked low or not at all->unscaled 7% dmg and +53 hit adv)
-Uppercut / Reverse Uppercut (To reverse uppercut, FF after Slowball in combo) (Gimmick) (Ghetto reset) (Toasty Boost)

I'm half serious when I wrote this.
But how can you anti air with da- ohhh...

gunterxc

WOOLAY
i can't hit the NJP after 321dash for the life of me. i'm not one to give up but this is getting pretty frustrating.

McNasty

Moist.
i can't hit the NJP after 321dash for the life of me. i'm not one to give up but this is getting pretty frustrating.
It will be until you have it down. Try hitting both punches as your holding up in the middle of the dash animation. Remember that its timing based looking to confirm the hit just wont happen.

i have finally become able to hit the 321dashnjp more than 30% of the time now

huzzah!
you on psn?

make d4~acid hand your best friend... use it to keep pressure characters out (cage,jax, etc.) use it to AA (online). stop strings short and throw it in...

gunterxc

WOOLAY
you on psn?

make d4~acid hand your best friend... use it to keep pressure characters out (cage,jax, etc.) use it to AA (online). stop strings short and throw it in...
i'm one of the 40 people that still play mk9 on the xbox.

okay, maybe not 40 but it's pretty low.

i'm one of the 40 people that still play mk9 on the xbox.

okay, maybe not 40 but it's pretty low.
bummer... but for the njp combo, practice practice practice! I used to have trouble but i can literally do it with my eyes closed now. Don't give up!