What's new

Discussion What moves in MKX are just too good still?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Been playing a lot of MKX and curious what moves you think are just too much? Not as in how they work with the character build, just individually, this move is so good it's annoying.

Ones that come to mind for me are

Ermac Spirit Ball - maybe an unpopular opinion but a projectile that gets you a full screen combo anywhere on screen for high damage, which you can also do in the air. Really good move. Also the fact that Ermac can combo off his tp meterlessly with a d1 into this adds salt to the wound.

Ermac Mystic Push - 2 hits of armour, safe, drains meter, heals and really good range making you scared to move. Ermac has good meter build so this is always an annoying threat.

Adding to this, pretty much any safe armour move with two hits is dumb to me. It should have 2 hits or be safe, not both, and definitely not plus! (Possessed and Raiden come to mind)

Crystalline Buff - just the fact it's so free to load up is whats annoying. After every combo he gets this, and it's quick enough just to bang out in the neutral. Just feel like startup should be slower or something.

Tremor ex fist - They removed all armour launchers, I dont think tremor needs a flash parry into a full combo which he can cancel into whatever he wants on block. Just remove the ability to run cancel once the armour has been hit.

Tremor f121 - far reaching combo starter which starts all his pressure and is 6f... why does a 6f safe launching string have that much range?! Make it 10f I say, if he needs a 6f jab make it s1.

Hell fire flame aura - just the active frames on this mofo.

Jason Red Screen - extremely annoying move which isn't fun at all. The fact that he can block while in the screen and there's no debuff like the super armour is silly to me.

Honourably mention:

Liu Kang - just remove him. 90% of players play him online nowadays and I'm simply bored of the matchup. That is the only reason why.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Lasher Takeda DF1 & F4:
There’s a bug when using Lasher Takeda’s DF1 as an AA. Regularly it does 8% (EX: 13%), as an AA it hits twice & does 14% (EX: 24%). In typical NRS fashion, rather than fix the bug they changed the Move Data to the bug’s damage.

Takeda’s F4 is +4 (was +8), can be used as an AA & make certain special moves whiff or be backwards:

Ardet

Noob
I agree on all things you mentioned Colby, would add same moves to my list. Fighting horde of Liu's online can be so tiering...
Would also add this:
Reptile' claw pounce, it always gets me midscreen trying to block slides. And his safe mixups, so bullshit. Character is massivly underplayed (Nimble tho)
Impostors and Possesed teleports. Safish way to start pressure or mixup, so braindead.
Also Shinnoks hellsparks, aka neutral killer, it even has its use a as meterless wakeup.
Mileena's roll and tele, aka neutral DESTROYERS, mixing it up with sais zone.
Jason's cgs recovery. Its so stupid dear God. He manages to whiff cg and still uppercut you if you try to jumpover and punnish.
Leatherface's chainsaw mid rush, which is safe, has pushback so he can even whiff punnish your moves with f12. And he can mix it up with cancel or let it rip for safe one bar launcher.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Impostors and Possesed teleports. Safish way to start pressure or mixup, so braindead.
It really depends on the MU when it comes to their TPs as there’s plenty of ways to blow them up like my previously mentioned Lasher Takeda‘s EX DF1 but the MU in general makes the extremely braindead Possessed Kenshi actually have to work for their win.

Poke + specials will always be brain dead in this game. Like Shinnok's d4+hellsparks or Goro's d1+punch walk or Sonya's d3 + bomb

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Now you know damn well Sonya's Drone Homing Missile is busted. 2f startup move that still comes out on counter hit, tracks, and potentially launches? Come on.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I was never a top-level MKX player or anything, but I remember HQT Predator's projectiles giving me a ton of trouble as a Jax player. I can't remember if they were plus or just slightly negative, I just remember them being highly spammable and very difficult to deal with when the HQT player really knew how to abuse them.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
jason's red screen and he being able to kill you when he touches you at low health are.... idk.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I really don’t know what they were thinking with Jason. I’m not one to say a character carries, nor likes to throw out the word “broken”, but Jason definitely is an exception (relentless/unstoppable. Slasher is meh af)

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Liu Kang - just remove him. 90% of players play him online nowadays and I'm simply bored of the matchup. That is the only reason why.
Not a surprise considering Ed Boon himself said in an interview that in every game Liu Kang is meant to be the easiest character to play.

colby4898

Poke + specials will always be brain dead in this game. Like Shinnok's d4+hellsparks or Goro's d1+punch walk or Sonya's d3 + bomb
I hate fighting goro dragons fang. It's just d1 into anything and he's always safe so just either pokes again after or armours... safely.

colby4898

Now you know damn well Sonya's Drone Homing Missile is busted. 2f startup move that still comes out on counter hit, tracks, and potentially launches? Come on.
She needs it ;) I agree it's crazy good idk that it's busted. Too many people try and avoid it when they should just block it. It has literally 0 blockstun, if I don't time my move on block at the same time it hits you can just poke, backdash, armour etc. And she needs to get drone out to use it. But it's very annoying I'll give you that

colby4898

I really don’t know what they were thinking with Jason. I’m not one to say a character carries, or like to throw out the word “broken”, but Jason definitely is an exception (relentless/unstoppable. Slasher is meh af)
The fact his command grab recovers so quick too...

xKhaoTik

Which they nerfed...
I really wouldn’t even call that a nerf tbh.
Mileena ALWAYS has meter because of her play style, especially in piercing. Even tho it costs 2 bars, it’s still an armored launcher and not everyone in the game has that. Even if you don’t spend the bar to launch, it still resets the neutral and she can start her zoning.

colby4898

I really wouldn’t even call that a nerf tbh.
Mileena ALWAYS has meter because of her play style, especially in piercing. Even tho it costs 2 bars, it’s still an armored launcher and not everyone in the game has that. Even if you don’t spend the bar to launch, it still resets the neutral and she can start her zoning.
Well using two bars for launch instead of 1, which isn't as good of a launch as pre patch, is definitely a nerf. Still decent though.

xKhaoTik

Well using two bars for launch instead of 1, which isn't as good of a launch as pre patch, is definitely a nerf. Still decent though.
Is it tho? In Mileena’s case, what exactly is she spending her bar on? Who cares if it costs 2 bars? She always has meter and even when she spends the bars, she gets them right back. It didn’t hurt her AT ALL. Her game plan is still exactly the same with the 2 bar launcher. If anything, it’s a normalization since it fits with the final patch of tons of armored launchers being removed. Her still having one is more than “decent”

More like normalization when all armored launchers were removed. That doesn't take away the guessing game whether she will use the ball roll to launch or to low-profile or to anti-air. So Mileena is still crazy good.

colby4898

Is it tho? In Mileena’s case, what exactly is she spending her bar on? Who cares if it costs 2 bars? She always has meter and even when she spends the bars, she gets them right back. It didn’t hurt her AT ALL. Her game plan is still exactly the same with the 2 bar launcher. If anything, it’s a normalization since it fits with the final patch of tons of armored launchers being removed. Her still having one is more than “decent”
I guess I use normalisation and nerf the same. Nerf to me is just making a move worse, and making it cost 2 bars instead of 1 is worse. It's always nice to have the extra bar for more breakers and what not, or to have the option to ex roll more often.