What's new

What makes someone good at UMK3?

Hello. I'm new to this site, and sort of new to UMK3. I've been playing online a lot, and getting outclassed a lot made me think. What makes someone good at this game? I don't know the answer. You will either think this is a good question, or a stupid one, but I would still appreciate an answer. This is just out of curiosity.

Read the strategy guides. Understand the constructs of the game and understand character strengths and weaknesses. Watch high level matches in the match videos section. Apply what you learn. Play a lot of games and gain experience. Eventually you will recognize what your opponet is going to do. Being good isn't just about doing high damage kombos but they are good to have in your arsenal, so practice those too. Messing up a 40% kombo can easily cost you the match.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Zoning, baiting, aaPunchs, counters, Punishing oppenents mistakes, knowing when and when NOT to do certain attacks, etc....

It isnt all about infintes and higher damage combos, but if you got all I said down, then combos are the icing on the cake.

A lot of experience and practice, hand eye coordination, fast reaction time, good mind games, not being repetitive, zoning your opponent.

luckyhazmat said:
this is going to sound stupid, but what does zoning mean?
An example of zoning would be, if you can keep your opponent locked in the corner and they can't get out (Pressure, countering, keeping the right distance). Then your opponent is being zoned to the corner.

It's kind of hard to explain. I'll make a zoning example video and post it sometime soon.

dreemernj

Ambassador
If you play a Reptile and they keep you 3/4 screen to full screen distance away from them, they are zoning you.

Houzi

Noob
I'd say, Not losing and uhhhh being able to aaHP when someone jump kicks towards you. I can't f*cking do it. I've tried so much. Obviously i'm not good at this game as the people who i've played know, but when I played Sheisse (Fucking Amazing), Moe (Fucking Killed me), and DizGirl (Very Good). They're good players and the only good players I've played that I consider GOOD. I would love to be up on the list of good but I am training everyday. :D

Tim Static

Adminerator
Houzi88 said:
I'd say, Not losing and uhhhh being able to aaHP when someone jump kicks towards you. I can't f*cking do it. I've tried so much. Obviously i'm not good at this game as the people who i've played know, but when I played Sheisse (Fucking Amazing), Moe (Fucking Killed me), and DizGirl (Very Good). They're good players and the only good players I've played that I consider GOOD. I would love to be up on the list of good but I am training everyday. :D
It takes lots of pratice to get the timing down...just keep at it. Its such an important part of the game...

FILER

Noob
You have to commit to the HP...I would say RH combos are almost as rewarding and you will have much better luck with getting them consistently.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Shock said:
Playing since day 1 never hurts.
Not always true. I remember playing it before anybody esle did in the wee hours of the morning after our MK3 got upgraded with the UMK3 eproms.

Anyways, but I guess basically not really playing it from around 2001/02 to 2007 very much takes away from that, lol...

Shock said:
Playing since day 1 never hurts.
yea definitely not true there are still some bum ass people who is not as good as they should be since they be playing on arcades and 360 and on top of that competed in tournies.

DC HUSTLE 106 said:
yea definitely not true there are still some bum ass people who is not as good as they should be since they be playing on arcades and 360 and on top of that competed in tournies.
Man...

I was about to say that.

Just be doing Eric anytime you want.