What's new

Question What makes a player good?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
What @GGA Saucy Jack said.

Also I don't understand the name drop there, when I played against you it was so laggy I couldn't land my BnBs, backdash the painfully obvious b13 or even jump oh arrow. How can you prove how good you are in those conditions?

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
What @GGA Saucy Jack said.

Also I don't understand the name drop there, when I played against you it was so laggy I couldn't land my BnBs, backdash the painfully obvious b13 or even jump oh arrow. How can you prove how good you are in those conditions?
I think (he can correct me if I'm wrong) he was thanking you for playing him (regardless of conditions) because the gist of his post was surrounding people being willing to play him online.

I think.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I think (he can correct me if I'm wrong) he was thanking you for playing him (regardless of conditions) because the gist of his post was surrounding people being willing to play him online.

I think.
you are correct it wasnt a name drop lol i was just about to post something to this extent. i guess i shouldnt be surprised at his "you only beat me because of lag" response though lol

Fred Marvel

I would say yes and no. Since the core game play (just my opinion) is so vastly different, it's not just adjusting (oh I rush down normally but I cant, I'll have to lame it out) but it's literally "a different game"

The mechanics of Injustice (offline) dictate that forward dashes are punishable. Characters are designed for this. If you can't do that, my argument is that you are literally changing how the game was meant to played, hence, it's not the same game.

When you need to adjust your playstyle, it's not eliminating your tools, you just have to find a different way to use them. But online vs offline literally eliminates functions of the game. There is no "quick adjustment" to that. You need to completely redevelop what your character does.

People may agree or disagree, but I personally think that makes it a different game.
i punish forward dashes all the time....but i play GL so i suppose it isnt fair to compare to dd in that aspect.
i see what youre saying but i cant have a say or agree/disagree on it since i havent played offline

Fromundaman

I write too much.
you are correct it wasnt a name drop lol i was just about to post something to this extent. i guess i shouldnt be surprised at his "you only beat me because of lag" response though lol
I think the gist of his post was more of "You can't tell who is or isn't good in these conditions" moreso than "You beat me in lag".

I know I look like absolute garbage online, and online actually messes up my offline game a lot.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You didn't beat me though.
It was more of "you can't really tell who's good or bad in horrible conditions".

Fred Marvel

You didn't beat me though.
It was more of "you can't really tell who's good or bad in horrible conditions".
whatever helps you sleep at night

I think the gist of his post was more of "You can't tell who is or isn't good in these conditions" moreso than "You beat me in lag".

I know I look like absolute garbage online, and online actually messes up my offline game a lot.
the reason i said what i said was because there was little if any lag

Fromundaman

I write too much.

Even in a perfect connection there is still lag, and enough for me to not hit a single combo (Although admittedly I don't play online much).
An offline player could very much have trouble, especially if it's not a perfect connection.

Also you're saying most people don't play you, then calling out/ridiculing the guy who did? Maybe there's a correlation here?

Fred Marvel

Even in a perfect connection there is still lag, and enough for me to not hit a single combo (Although admittedly I don't play online much).
An offline player could very much have trouble, especially if it's not a perfect connection.

Also you're saying most people don't play you, then calling out/ridiculing the guy who did? Maybe there's a correlation here?
lol if theres so much lag you cant land a combo then the connection isnt perfect. ive played on connections with a solid 2 seconds of input delay and ive played on some that feel the same as arcade mode, but if people insist every online match is horrible sure it must be
im not calling out anyone what are you talking about?

Fromundaman

I write too much.
lol if theres so much lag you cant land a combo then the connection isnt perfect. ive played on connections with a solid 2 seconds of input delay and ive played on some that feel the same as arcade mode, but if people insist every online match is horrible sure it must be
im not calling out anyone what are you talking about?
Actually regardless of the game, regardless of the connection, every single match in any game with online will have lag equal to the time that it takes for the signal to reach the server. That can be really fast or really slow depending on connection speed, but there will always be something. This makes characters with stricter timings harder to use in any online match.
I play one such character, and have engrained certain timings into my muscle memory (Although I'm still not as consistent as I'd like to be even offline) and any sort of lag whatsoever throws me off tremendously.

The same principle also applies to monitors, which is actually part of why I spend a lot of time doing matches or training mode before a tournament, since I play on a CRT at home which has different input lag than tournament standard monitors.

___

I would say telling a person that they are the type of person that blames lag for losses then calling them a liar on results of matches would indeed be a call out, but then what do I know?

Fred Marvel

I would say telling a person that they are the type of person that blames lag for losses then calling them a liar on results of matches would indeed be a call out, but then what do I know?
i didnt tell hm he was any type of person, maybe he felt a ton of lag that i didnt feel or something but what i played wasnt laggy and he did say lag was a reason the matches went the way they did, im just saying what happened not calling him out i gave him props for even agreeing to play me so why would i try to blow him up?

Fred Marvel

It depends what you are actually looking for here. If it's respect from the TYM community as a whole, then you need to go to offline tournys and prove you can perform when pressure is on.

If it's for someone to tell you you are good after some online matches, well who the hell really cares about that, you will know yourself if you are good at the game or not, you shouldn't need someone to tell you.

Take this example that happened to me this weekend, and why I suck at this game. And I know why I suck, it's cause I don't play it, because I only find it fun when I'm drunk.

I play a friend of mine online alot, and usually beat the living hell outta him Arrow vs Green lantern, online. So he came over this weekend, and we played casuals for a couple hours and I was way ahead. I used a buncha different characters including Zod,MMH,Arrow,GLantern, hell I think I even used Joker at one time. And he used Green Lantern and Shazzam.

So we decided to put something on the line, we played for a beer fridge. First to 10. I lost 10-6 because he adapted better then me, and shut me down once he had my patterns locked down. My inability to respond and adapt in a pressure situation and blowing a lead in a first to ten shows that I def sucked that day.

Saucy nailed it, and Dink nailed it. Online and offline are 2 different games for this game, they just are. Just the way it is. But if it's the Communitys respect then you need to prove how "good" you are offline.

This is Test Your Might, home for Competitve NRS gaming. The focus is on offline scenes and tournys.
im not fishing for props or looking for respect, i know im good at the game thats why i say im better than some people and why i say things like "play me or shut up about me" when people keep telling me im garbage. i honestly dont give a shit what anyone in this community thinks of me (which is why im so honest and have no problem expressing my opinions). i just want to pick peoples brains, see if anyone has a definitive answer to what makes someone good, and see if they are actually competent and if the things they say add up (spoiler: they usually dont). i plan on going to tournaments eventually but thats not about respect or gaining anything most people on this site genuinely dislike me for having an opinion on a video game lol so im fine if i never meet those people irl because they probably arent good people i just love video games and fighting games and when i found out about the fgc i was sold and it became something i wanted to experience. i like a good challenge so id like to play high level competition.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Ah I apologize for the misunderstanding then, but I have to say you may want to watch the way you word things then because what you mean and what your messages come off as are not exactly lining up. I don't know you well enough to know, but this could be why you have people here disliking you (I have another friend actually who has this same issue).

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
i dont mean this an any type of insulting way at all but wouldnt being able to adust your gameplay style and adapt efficiently because that doesnt work online be the better thing to do? or wouldnt that be what a better player would do?
im just asking because i usually play a bait and punish lamer style but i know in some matchups i cant i might have to rushdown and that on certain stages (like ferris) i need a bigger sense of urgency to get in because if they get space im fucked.
Why we would he ever play online when he has one of the best offline scenes to train with? No one cares about how good you are online, you have to prove yourself in tournament. That's how it works in the FGC, like it or not.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
What generally makes a player good is a few things. How they can Block, Their Execution, How they adapt mid game, Reactions, Etc. The generic stuff. The thing about online is that it can be a different game. I have played this game online and i will never play it again online. Combo timing are different, Some characters are much harder to deal with online. And some things are harder to block. The thing is the people that may actually be good online we have way to know if they are good or not. Anyone can be like oh hey im great at XYZ. But until they actually show it then they are just talking shit to some extent. The thing about Offline is you get to show people what you are able to do. And other people are able to see it. You can prove yourself to other people. Another thing is you can make less excuses offline. In tournament setting there is not much you can say when you lose a game. But with online there are many things that can be said. Like It lagged, Connection was shit, Etc. So to some extent it is hard to grasp if someone is good online or not because of some of the reasons i said above. Now im not going to say that all online players are shit. Cause i have met and played a few online warriors who are actually really good. Its just hard to believe what someone says until they show it in person.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator

But you didn't, we tied and I decided to call it quits because I couldn't move. Why are you lying now? And why are you saying it wasn't laggy? Do you think I like to just stand there because air rockets are an infinite?
See, this is exactly why people can't take you seriously Fred.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Why we would he ever play online when he has one of the best offline scenes to train with? No one cares about how good you are online, you have to prove yourself in tournament. That's how it works in the FGC, like it or not.
I am a major fan of this avatar. Well played, Zoidberg. Well played indeed.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Good players win a lot...bad players do not.

And there's no sugarcoating online...for Injustice it's as good as the smell of my butt.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Lets be completely honest here...a guy that play strictly online can in fact be better than someone that attends tournaments, but you will never be able to prove that, unless you attend a tournament yourself. The real question is, are you willing to attend a tournament to show others that you are as good as you believe?

Personally, there have been times I know I'm better than x player, but I don't feel the need to prove it because I simply 100% know and don't care what others think. With that said, there are variables to take into account; tournament nerves, noise, distractions, etc. etc. It may take you a few tournaments to adapt to that environment before you can comfortably perform up to your standards. If I ever feel as though I should show everyone how good I am at a fighting games, I will attend a tournament, but as of right now, meh.

You, however, seem like you want some sort of recognition, Fred. If that is so, then you should attend a tournament to show how good you are to everyone.

Fred Marvel

But you didn't, we tied and I decided to call it quits because I couldn't move. Why are you lying now? And why are you saying it wasn't laggy? Do you think I like to just stand there because air rockets are an infinite?
See, this is exactly why people can't take you seriously Fred.
lmao what? you didnt call it quits I WAS THE ONE WHO WENT TO QUIT, after you tied the score up i went to quit because you were already complaining about lag so if i won more games than you i was anticipating even more complaints so i just left it at even.

yeah im done, i tried to give you props and you end up bashing me for no reason at all im over it go do something productive leave me be