What's new

General/Other - Kano What Kano needs in Kombat Pack 2

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
With KP2 around the corner, I'd like to discuss what changes I'd like to see for Kano going in. Going through each variation

Commando:

This variation needs the most help, but not in a ton of ways. I actually would just be fine with some frame data changes. With that said; Choke and MB Choke more advantageous on hit. Regular choke is negative on hit for who knows why. MB choke is only +5. I think this will help him keep the pressure going well after he lands choke which he lands often. The choke puts them too far away with no frame advantage to work with or ever follow up so that would be a nice change.

Less damage scaling on stand 3,2+MB. This MB scales like crazy and I never use it for that reason. The range of the stand 3 isnt great so when you combine the two its just something that you never really see. I still go for the max damage BNB with the NJP after EX ball cancel.

Commando would be fine with those two things. Mainly the first.

Cybernetic:

B13,1+3 leaves your opponent much closer:

The restand midscreen doesn't allow for any real follow up pressure. Once you run, you lose your frame advantage and they can armor. If you throw a projectile, they can armor, so the only thing left is being in a neutral position, and then your +12 or 13 frame advantage has gone to waste. So for that, in most cases Kano is better off ending in an uppercut or Kano ball.

Cutthroat:

EX Buff loses 7% max instead of 14%

To be honest, I still dont think he should lose health at all. But right now I think he loses too much, so I suggest this or lose the health at a MUCH slower rate. 0.50% each tick for 28 ticks is kind of crazy. Aside from this, no changes.

General Changes:

A 7 frame D3 or D4:

When Kano is going for frame traps, he can never beat out 6 frame buttons (only from stand 2). So whenever he does B31, anyone with a 6f button can hit him out of his next move unless he armors. It's annoying after a while when people understand that.

With all of this I would be 100% satisfied with Kano. I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable. What do you think?

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Should cutthroat really have a semi-guaranteed 7 frame d3 check after a blocked 50/50?
I think that would suck for the slower characters, if you had to guess right on a 50/50 then guess if he's gonna d3 check you or go into more pressure, then resulting in more 50/50s. Especially if they were stuck in the corner meterless

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Commando Buffs
-Fix his Ex knives block strings.
-Make choke a bit more plus on hit and fix its whiffing problem.
-Give him a tick throw off of 32 and either B1 or B3.
-Optional:More advantage on Ex ball cancels to make his BnBs easier.
-The Dream: Give Cutthroat's F212 string and let it tick off of F2, if this does happen then there doesn't need to be a tick off of B1 or B3.

Cybernetic Buffs
-Make normal knives do 7% damage instead of 5%, leave chip damage the same
-Optional: Ex knives to be +10 instead of +5 on block or his B13 1+3 restand leaves the opponent right next to him.
-The Dream: B13 1+3 is special cancelable like Boneshaper's F22 1+3.

Cutthroat Buffs
-Optional: Ex Buff takes away a maximum of 10% health.

All variations
-Make his Upball have more consistent frame data.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Commando Buffs
-Fix his Ex knives block strings.
-Make choke a bit more plus on hit and fix its whiffing problem.
-Give him a tick throw off of 32 and either B1 or B3.
-Optional:More advantage on Ex ball cancels to make his BnBs easier.
-The Dream: Give Cutthroat's F212 string and let it tick off of F2, if this does happen then there doesn't need to be a tick off of B1 or B3.

Cybernetic Buffs
-Make normal knives do 7% damage instead of 5%, leave chip damage the same
-Optional: Ex knives to be +10 instead of +5 on block or his B13 1+3 restand leaves the opponent right next to him.
-The Dream: B13 1+3 is special cancelable like Boneshaper's F22 1+3.

Cutthroat Buffs
-Optional: Ex Buff takes away a maximum of 10% health.

All variations
-Make his Upball have more consistent frame data.
I think the Cybernetic ones mentioned may be just a little bit too much (not the optional restand one, but the EX knives being +10 and the rest). The EX knife fix it in commando/cutthroat did slip my mind. everything else I can get behind. Especially that up ball but I'm not even hopeful since it hasn't happened yet :'(

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I think the Cybernetic ones mentioned may be just a little bit too much (not the optional restand one, but the EX knives being +10 and the rest). The EX knife fix it in commando/cutthroat did slip my mind. everything else I can get behind. Especially that up ball but I'm not even hopeful since it hasn't happened yet :'(
Nah the +10 on Ex knives would be completely fine, it's not like Cybernetic has godlike pressure or mixups. And for the b13 1+3 special cancelable buff, it's obvious that they won't do it, but it'd be a fun way to boost cybernetic's damage and make his combos a little bit more interesting than [Starter] xx Laser 112 xx ball

Last edited:

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
My suggestions to fix Kano (Mained him since launch, but I gave him up yesterday. Sick and tired of people just blocking low in Cybernetic and having only one tick throw in Commando)

- B1 is now 0 on block (More Pressure for Commando and Cybernetic; they need it)

- EX Kano Ball has more hitstun (To make the Commando Midscreen meter combos a bit easier)

- EX Power-Up Takes no damage (We're wasting a bar on a power-up that could go away on hit. pls NRS, why must we lose 15%?)

Something has to change for this character. I'd be fine with my suggested B1 change.

In before people cry (BLUCK INFINITY!!!! WAH) The Black Dragon Kingpin gets love and buffs, people inevitably complain about it.

Commando:

This variation needs the most help, but not in a ton of ways. I actually would just be fine with some frame data changes. With that said; Choke and MB Choke more advantageous on hit. Regular choke is negative on hit for who knows why. MB choke is only +5. I think this will help him keep the pressure going well after he lands choke which he lands often. The choke puts them too far away with no frame advantage to work with or ever follow up so that would be a nice change.

Less damage scaling on stand 3,2+MB. This MB scales like crazy and I never use it for that reason. The range of the stand 3 isnt great so when you combine the two its just something that you never really see. I still go for the max damage BNB with the NJP after EX ball cancel.

Commando would be fine with those two things. Mainly the first.
parry plus on hit please, thx. its such a risk there should be some more reward

Tweedy

Noob
Cyber needs a damage increase.
Does he? I started using the character recently. I can get 47% in the corner for a bar off of B1.

Imo Kano is one of the characters that doesn't really require a button that's faster than 8 frames. Having to block a 6 frame D1, which are so negative in just about every case besides Kotal Khan, is fair imo.

I'm a Kung Lao main, so when I play him his jump is what bothers me the most. Just from playing 5000 or so games with Kung Lao, jumping around like a maniac is a habit. Anyone can see me jump, wash their car, do their taxes, come back and punish me for it. Not sure if it needs a buff though lol.

NoobSaibot

PSN: JP_THUNDA
Commando: B1 tick throw or b1, 3 tick throw.
They should fix command grabs across the board. Excluding Errons because his works too well.
Give commando the f2 string from cutthroat or let him meterburn after b1 3 to extend the combo somehow.

Cyber: is fine

Cutthroat: Stop losing health in ex buff. Give him human arms instead of t Rex arms for his overhead.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
For cyber a small damage boost to meterless combos would be perfect. So on a meterless punish im getting 27%(at least) to 32% instead of 25-29. The restand is whatever to me. After a ball kd you can run in b1 wiff and still be safe to block a wale up and punish. Better than a measly +13 up close. Plus in the corner you can get some stuff gaurenteed with 1+3.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
For Commando, honestly I just wish he had more tick throw options than just pokes, and maybe a bigger hitbox for his NJP to make his midscreen bnb easier (especially for us online people). I like the Choke suggestions for sure.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Also Commandos ex parry should work on both low and highs
Does he? I started using the character recently. I can get 47% in the corner for a bar off of B1.

Imo Kano is one of the characters that doesn't really require a button that's faster than 8 frames. Having to block a 6 frame D1, which are so negative in just about every case besides Kotal Khan, is fair imo.

I'm a Kung Lao main, so when I play him his jump is what bothers me the most. Just from playing 5000 or so games with Kung Lao, jumping around like a maniac is a habit. Anyone can see me jump, wash their car, do their taxes, come back and punish me for it. Not sure if it needs a buff though lol.
The corner damage is huge, it's the midscreen damage and 5% knives. Getting 33% for a bar off of b13 is a bit limp imo, so because the corner damage doesn't come from ex grenade I suggest increasing the damage of it and regular grenade ender.

I like Steve's list. It's appropriate as long as they don't go buffing the top tiers again lol. I think cutthroat is in a good place already... and this will only help make the character better.

I also wish they would give minor buffs to some of his more useless moves, like f3,3, standing 4 and d1 to give this character a little more variety.

Also for commando I think a couple minor buffs to add variety to his game play would be adding some damage to EX choke and EX parries (give more incentive to use) and for f3 3 xx choke on block to not have choke whiff.

trufenix

bye felicia
If EX parry catches highs and lows, that means any time the opponent has 21% or less and kano has a bar of meter, the match is essentially his. All he has to do is turtle and wait for the parry. The only characters who would really be safe are the ones with mid projectiles and unparryables that are safe on block.