What's new

What is this Tom drama... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Definitely illegal, it's called fraud when you raise money for something and use it for something else that's no different than stealing. Doesn't matter if it's a donation, it was under false pretenses thus deceiving and lying to people who you know are giving you money. It's no different than if someone has a donations for a loved one to help pay for medical expenses then being like "nah I'll keep the money for me heh"

Also, if there are people who KNEW about this they're nearly just as guilty for not at least trying to tell people. I think some people who I won't name but they're mostly from the 3D MKC will defend him or not critique this guy due to friendship, til that person burns you. Speaking from experience of my own with people who did me wrong who I was once closer to but I digress.

Kind of weak how some people are defending this shit. If people say this is merely immoral but "not illegal" they're ignorant and do not know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
Definitely illegal, it's called fraud when you raise money for something and use it for something else that's no different than stealing. Doesnt matter if it's a donation, it was under false pretenses thus deceiving and lying to people who you know are giving you money. It's no different than if someone has a donations for a loved one to help pay for medical expenses then being like "nah I'll keep the money for me heh"

Kind of weak how some people are defending this shit.
Yah it's fraud behavior...I dunno how well this specific case would stick legally but it's still fraudulent behavior. And then the lying and forging of a receipt, etc. and I guess it's not the first time.

At least it's not like that gllty vaguely confessing to sexual crimes on Twitter...but fraud and stealing a bunch o' dough, real shady.

MKF30

Yah it's fraud behavior...I dunno how well this specific case would stick legally but it's still fraudulent behavior. And then the lying and forging of a receipt, etc. and I guess it's not the first time.

At least it's not like that gllty vaguely confessing to sexual crimes on Twitter...but fraud and stealing a bunch o' dough, real shady.
Agreed. BTW, someone else did what on twitter now? lol :eek:

Gaxkang

Banned
Agreed. BTW, someone else did what on twitter now? lol :eek:
Yah:

SF player but SonicFox had been doing MK11 streams with gllty too.

But yah before like this stuff avalanched publicly from someone gllty had done something to …

gllty privately contacted people gllty had done stuff to and tried to apologize to get ahead of the thing and survive it esports-wise. A time before that gllty had tweeted that they had sexually assaulted people but had grown as a person vs. doing such "sins" and had become a better person (despite it seems still doing something to someone as recently as EVO this year). Also blamed it on being confused on how to interact with people due to being sexually assaulted in the past (as gllty claimed).

Got the big ban from Capcom events and lost GRAPHT sponsorship.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
This is actually 100% illegal
Is it though? It's obviously pretty scummy and unethical, but I'm interested to see how the law would actually apply. When Bill received the money, was he actually legally obligated to use it to travel to these events?

MKF30

Is it though? It's obviously pretty scummy and unethical, but I'm interested to see how the law would actually apply. When Bill received the money, was he actually legally obligated to use it to travel to these events?
I'm not entirely sure what the twitch rules are but I believe if you take money that goes against their terms does that. Ask a difference for legal action? Which platform did he use to take donations? I hear they're pretty strict with alot of things now.

Wavy

Block Spammer
If you scam on gofundme, it's illegal. If you scam on twitch... it's still illegal. It can be considered business fraud, internet fraud, amongst any other issues that could come out of it. (Taxes as an example. Some people use a portion of dono's as tax write-offs. In his case it could be a business expense to travel to venues, yet he never traveled.)

The purpose was pay "x" to get "y" but "Y" never happened and was done in bad faith. It's the textbook definition of fraud. If people cared enough Tom could be in deep shit. This is especially proven by the lengths he went to make fake tickets on an editor.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
First tourny I ever went to for MK9 I knew nobody and went alone. I recognized Tom from what might have been justintv back then and tried to say hello to him. He was really rude to me and just blew me off and turned his back to me. I remember I was so surprised because I didn't expect to get snubbed so hard at what I considered was an ultra-nerd convention!
I've done something similar at EVO 2011 to someone coming up to talk to me. I was nice, but in a hurry and after the fact felt bad for basically ignoring them. It's not personal at all.

MKF30

I've done something similar at EVO 2011 to someone coming up to talk to me. I was nice, but in a hurry and after the fact felt bad for basically ignoring them. It's not personal at all.
If you were in a hurry you have a reasonable excuse. Especially if you have to use the bathroom or something lol. You don't really strike me as a guy who would be a dick to someone for no reason.

coolwhip

Noob
I'm going to pretend to be a lawyer, but I do know that people willingly donated money. Nobody forced anybody to contribute.
As a lawyer who isn't from the US, let me say that in most countries I've had experience in, this in fact IS illegal, and I'd be amazed if it were any different in America. It's the literal definition of fraud...then again, so were Tom's Injustice 1 exploits with pre-patch Aquaman.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
@Gaxkang Oh wow yeah definitely did not hear about that. That's pretty intense stuff. :eek:
Yah it was a big blowup for sure. Seems like what happened with Capcom was someone's friend was assaulted by gllty and that person got accounts from other people who had experiences with gllty and gave that to Capcom and bammo the big ban.

Some things people dealt with were physical assault while others were harassment things. Like one married gal said minutes after the couple met gllty at a major gllty propositioned the wife in front of the husband. Another thing from someone else was that 2 friends of theirs were harassed at a major by gllty, with gllty pressuring/implying that gllty would lose at the event if someone didn't provide sex. gllty was never a winner or even top/above average placer at events anyways so...

But yeah least all Brady was doing was lying and pocketing money.

MKF30

The law is not the same in every country....lol. Some countries for example you get thrown in jail or worse if you criticize the President, Emperor etc, etc others like here in America it's perfectly legal as it's freedom of speech. This was not legal.

Yah it was a big blowup for sure. Seems like what happened with Capcom was someone's friend was assaulted by gllty and that person got accounts from other people who had experiences with gllty and gave that to Capcom and bammo the big ban.

Some things people dealt with were physical assault while others were harassment things. Like one married gal said minutes after the couple met gllty at a major gllty propositioned the wife in front of the husband. Another thing from someone else was that 2 friends of theirs were harassed at a major by gllty, with gllty pressuring/implying that gllty would lose at the event if someone didn't provide sex. gllty was never a winner or even top/above average placer at events anyways so...

But yeah least all Brady was doing was lying and pocketing money.
I read the article, so it was a chick too? That was a little surprising but hey at least they're not biased for or against any sex/gender. Which is good.

Gaxkang

Banned
With proof of what was promised for the money being given over...that would probably seal it up pretty good. There's various ways to try to weasel out of things in court, but there'd be a good basis for some kind of fraud really.

I remember that couple and the homeless guy who ran that gofundme scam...where the money was supposed to go to him over a phony feel good story but instead all 3 split it up. The scam unraveled when the homeless dude felt he wasn't getting enough dough from them and so sued them for it, which made for an investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.