What's new

What is this Tom drama... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what this will REALLY do to his "legacy." He was streaming as recently as late yesterday, something I'm surprised he had the gall to do under the circumstances. Will his viewership/support actually take a hit? Time will tell.

The craziest part of all this is the people he was scamming are the very few who, in spite of all the divisiveness and controversy, went out on a limb and continued to support him while everyone else was shouting from the rooftops how shady he was. Way to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I enjoy his commentary and content as much as it's few and far between with long stretches of woe is me drama, dude really could get something going for himself if he got out of his own way. Alas, you reap what you sow, muddafukka.

MK9

Noob
This is what happens when you are not relevant anymore in a game you dedicated you life to. He’s to old to compete, never got hired by NRS, trying to use his past to survive.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
This was the right moment to come clean, but we really shouldnt blame people for not coming forward without solid grounds in the first place. And then there's the fact, that Tom has been a friend to some over the years - the line gets kinda blurry when your friends get involved with questionable shit. You try to make them see the error of their ways internally before resorting to exposing the acts - and that's essentially what we see here
I think this is true. I would say it's harder to make these calls when you're viewing things through your singular perspective.

Like, If a friend calls you up in a panic saying he needs help with a slightly shady thing because he's in real trouble and worked himself into a corner, you'll probably help him out like Mr. Aquaman did. I don't really want to know the kind of person who would receive a call like that and think it was their chance to blow them up online.

Once you find out that he's done this several times before to other people though, that changes things. That's when it becomes clear that this wasn't a friend who found himself in a sticky situation and needed to be bailed out but a serial liar and manipulator. That's when it's time to come forward.

We can all Monday morning quaterback what Mr. Aquaman did here but I don't honestly feel like he has much to answer for. Seems like he was let down by a friend who took advantage of his trust more than anything else.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Obviously a scummy thing to do and I hope everyone learned a lesson. Next time he asks for any type of olive branch to be extended, people need to just respond "Shut the fuck up Tom, you play AQUAMANNNNNNNNNNN"

man this is sad , i always respected Tom , Pig and REO cause they are OGs and around my age. but now i cant respect Tom anymore , not because of the money issue but for betraying REO. i dont know any of them personally but REO seems like a good guy and a good friend. Im a guy who dont fuck with shit like that.

Lmao I don’t know if anyone here has seen the movie menace 2 society, but sonic fox calling tom out on his shit is very reminiscent of the detective interrogating Cain and it’s hilarious lol.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Sad. I never donated but I always stuck up for him. Oh well.
Same.
I always wanted to fight him and pick his brain, held out hope that he'd come around and stop being such a fucking heel, went to bat for him here if he was getting blown up for stupid reasons, etcetera. I've been a wrestling guy my entire life, so I'm used to rooting for people I know are loose in the screws. My first great memory in the FGC was NEC 2011, when he came out of nowhere like Randy Orton and challenged Noobe to a FT5, and the whole fucking place went nuts. Always wanted to do that. It's the ONLY thing I ever wanted to be good enough to do one day, because I know I'll never be a tournament-viable killing machine, but I'm also not that bad either, and that fire took root because of Brady.
So all of this, on a personal level, makes me want to puke on my goddamn shoes.

At least now I don't have to feel the irrational guilt in my guts anymore of not being ready.
The dream is dead.
R.I.P.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm also not a lawyer but I have seen a few of these situations before and I wouldn't say it is illegal. It's not like Tom is a registered non-profit that takes donations for specific "restricted fund" causes or has a responsibility to show his financials at the end of the year. And it's not like this was a commercial transaction where he promised a good for a price that was never delivered.

Also, while Tom seems to have scammed somewhere between $600-$2000, anyone's individual "damage" is probably not that high. Unless one generous person gave him several hundred dollars, we're mostly talking about small donations and indirect donations through things like twitch subs. REO is probably the only person with a legitimate fraud complaint if the twitch backpay and partnership stuff is true.

Think about trying to explain this situation to a lawyer or judge. It's closer to saying "I gave my friend $15 to buy dinner because he said he was hungry, instead he went and bought smokes. I want the courts to intervene!" than anything else. It's just not something they would pursue.

All that said, obviously it is incredibly scummy. It might not be something that could be brought to court, but he obviously betrayed the trust of his closest friends and fans. I don't see him ever coming back from this, and that's how it should be.
Nah, $600 for one event. I saw someone say the MK11 reveal donation drive was over $1000. Then the multiple other events over two years. It’s likely in the low thousands at the very least.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Nah, $600 for one event. I saw someone say the MK11 reveal donation drive was over $1000. Then the multiple other events over two years. It’s likely in the low thousands at the very least.
That sucks ass. I hope he somehow follows through on giving people refunds but I really doubt it.

And I hope most of the people he took advantage of are only out a small amount of money (a $10 donation here, $5 there sort of thing). It would be even worse if he took larger donations ($100+) from people who really believed in him and wanted to see him perform only to pocket it and laugh up his sleeve.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I've always found Tom insufferable, I never really understood the adoration for Tom's idiosyncrasy. I guess his rants were entertaining, but I'd never give money to the guy.

We'll be able to move past this though due to his incredible legacy of making top 8 at a tournament in MK9! and being good at Mortal Kombat... Deadly Alliance?

Last edited:

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
before you call them scrubs what are your tournament accomplishments ? cause both of them are EVO champions in multiple games. Also not afraid of online money match and not crying about lag
Here we go you have to come and deflect for some stupid shit and then even add on the fact you still think stupid high lag money matches are legit. Man you really need to chill on the stupidity.
@CrimsonShadow This guy legit thinks that 200 ping money matches are ok LMFAO only on TYM bro

Here we go you have to come and deflect for some stupid shit and then even add on the fact you still think stupid high lag money matches are legit. Man you really need to chill on the stupidity.
@CrimsonShadow This guy legit thinks that 200 ping money matches are ok LMFAO only on TYM bro
it is and we were not lagging plus my connection was the issue not his, i changed provider so it was my fault if it was lagging or not and i challenged him he didnt challenged me. this was good for the community and everyone won with it. We kept playing me and him times to times and nobody is crying. Anyway go back to bed kid.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
You ever notice how people will use any lame excuse to derail the thread about me then blame me? This is getting old, i can post whatever the hell i want especially when its true. Tom is washed up, deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.