What's new

What is the Philosophy which MKX's fight system is based on?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I have to say I'm having a hard time formulizing a clear and concise way of explaining where I'm coming from with these questions / this thread, but I will try.

The philosophy of fighting games is something that really intrigues me. As we all know, every game / system has a philosophy upon which it begins. Whether it be something as simple and broad as "to have fun", or something more specific (still semi broad) as in the case of Killer Instinct that says "two way interaction for the players at all times".

What is the philosophy behind Mortal Kombat? More specifically, what is the philosophy behind Mortal Kombat X?

Since MK1, the fighting in MK has been unique, and I've heard Ed Boon state numerous times that in the beginning the goal was just to be different from Street Fighter. As the series continued, it compounded its legacy in the fighting game space, and further carved out its own unique and fresh take on the genre by coming at these types of games from a different angle.

I think overall, throughout the entire series of the MK games, that the game's designers have come at the enigma that is the "fighting game genre" by saying they wanted to be fun and accessible to as many people as possible. Say what you will about specific games in the series, and their FG quality at high level, overall they did achieve their goal with the more casual market, but of course to the detriment of the more serious FGC as that wasn't their concern...until MK9.

MK9 saw the NRS team take a turn and seriously take a stab at making a sold fighter for a more hardcore crowd...though it was still accessible the casual market. Injustice continued that sentiment, and now with MKX they are / have taken that even further.

With MKX we are seemingly seeing a unprecedented amount of features and systems being added to the mix of the traditional MK fight system specifically with high-level play in mind...which is where my questions come from...

What do you think Paulo and the other combat designer's goals were when they were conceptualizing and fleshing out, not just certain characters, but the MKX fight system overall,?

We know / suspect that NRS learned a lot from both their previous outings in creating a competent fighter, so what are they working towards?

What "mistakes" did they make with MK9 that they sought to fix with MKX, and what kind of gameplay were they seeking to foster with the decisions they made in MKX.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, one that has been asked and answered, or that is just to out there and is me just wondering. It would be awesome to have someone comment, even @colt, but if not I think it would just be fun, and maybe worth it, to just discuss on our own the philosophy of the game in order to just understand more thoroughly what this fight system is about.

**(I understand that we (before this game is released) have limited knowledge about the game, and thus can really only speculate, still though, I had this in my mind and felt the need to get it out)

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
my philosophy is always "fun with fairness". everything else falls into place if that goal is met. It should be just as fun to play the game for the 10,000th time as it is to play it for the 3rd or 20th time.