What's new

Question What is the concept behind moves with armor?

Would someone explain to me in depth the characteristics of armored moves? What other advantages do they have besides just going through normals moves or specials? Any disadvantages? Do two armor moves cancel each other out, or what happens in this instance? Thanks guys.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Ask Shao Kahn...Lol but seriously I think in general is to make the character have an advantage somewhat to other characters.

BRUTALITY

Banned
some characters lack strong footsies because not all characters are footsies characters. those characters have armoured moves to help their neutral game. or in mortal kombat they gave all the SSS++ tier characters armor to help their bad matchups :/

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hehe.. This has simple roots, but can turn into a complex topic.

The basis of armor is that it allows you to take a hit and keep attacking rather than being placed into hitstun. This often means that you can take the hit and then hit your opponent before he recovers from his own attack. There are various types of armor that have different properties; you might take the full damage of the hit you absorbed, you might take less, and you might take no damage in certain cases.

Depending on what type of armor it is, it might absorb 1 hit, or multiple hits. 1-hit is pretty common, but there are often special abilities or types of armor that absorb more than one hit in certain games.

In a basic 1-hit vs. 1-hit armor situation, often in NRS games the 2nd armor will win out. So for example in Injustice, if one person meter burns a F3, and then his opponent also meter burns a F3 quickly enough, the second one will absorb the hit from the first F3 and land. But not all types of armor react this way, and there are other things to consider -- like what frame the armor starts on (it's not always the entire attack), what type of armor it is, and how long it lasts.

Anyway, there are a ton of different situations, but hopefully this helps you get started with understanding what's going on.

Last edited:

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Would someone explain to me in depth the characteristics of armored moves? What other advantages do they have besides just going through normals moves or specials? Any disadvantages? Do two armor moves cancel each other out, or what happens in this instance? Thanks guys.
Not really. You basically answered you're own question. Armored moves eat up normal moves or other specials depending on how many hits I can take. If you're talking about ex shoulder charge from kenshi, that is not punishable and it absorbs hits while moves like cages red kick is full combo punishable. Depends on the move. Anything in specific you want to know about a move?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
One big disadvantage to armored moves in MK9 was that you still took full damage for whatever attack you absorbed.

Armor is to MK9 as prizes are to Oprah, everyone gets some

Except Ermac.
It was one of the most satisfying things to land an X-ray with Ermac and hearing all of those armored hit sound effects and seeing Ermac light up like a Christmas tree from absorbing so many hits. F3, 3 that Cage you asshole!

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's much appreciated.

some characters lack strong footsies because not all characters are footsies characters. those characters have armoured moves to help their neutral game./
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.

The basis of armor is that it allows you to take a hit and keep attacking rather than being placed into hitstun. This often means that you can take the hit and then hit your opponent before he recovers from his own attack. There are various types of armor that have different properties; you might take the full damage of the hit you absorbed, you might take less, and you might take no damage in certain cases.

Depending on what type of armor it is, it might absorb 1 hit, or multiple hits. 1-hit is pretty common, but there are often special abilities or types of armor that absorb more than one hit in certain games.
I see what you mean. I see how it changes the offensive roles by your explanation. But how did NRS balance armor for MK9? For example, what criteria do moves have to meet in order for for armor to last the duration of a move, have them take no damage, etc. (or whatever the case may be)? I take it there are such moves?

Anything in specific you want to know about a move?
Not necessarily, I just wanted to get an idea of the reasoning behind the implementation of this mechanic. Thanks though.