What's new

What is something or things you wish will NOT be in MK12?

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
The turd that was MK11 Sindel.

NRS just ignore your bad takes and gold digger Sindel from another timeline.

Putting the REAL Sindel on the MK12 base roster would be almost as fan pleasing and a W as giving Mileena stans their character.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
MK9/MKX standard meter. X-Rays were a joke, meter disparity was a leading cause of balance issues, and meter acted as a single resource pool for both defense and offense which made the meter disparity issues exponentially worse.

I pray they keep the split defense/offense meter bars from MK11. It's infinitely better design for balance and unique options.

If MK12 is anything like MK11 in terms of overall speed/combo system, I will be skipping it. I absolutely loved MK9 and liked MKX a lot, but MK11 was unplayable for me. I'll just play Street Fighter if I want a clunky game of cat and mouse. Juggle combos, instant air fireballs, etc. were some of my favorite techniques to learn in MK. I found MK11 to be so boring. Even watching MK11 is boring to me. These are strictly opinions obviously. I know some of you really enjoyed it, and I am glad you supported NRS throughout its life. I tried many times, it just didn't stick.

smaddy

I'm your huckleberry
I don't want the following:
  • breakaway system - I'm OK with breakers in general, I just hate the way breakaways work
  • flawless block - not a system I care for at all and I hope it goes away
  • Variations - I'd rather just have 1 version of each character
  • Locked Brutalities - just let me pay $20 or whatever to have access to them all, don't lock them behind towers, ranked play, timed events, etc.
  • Fatal Blows - i'm not entirely opposed to Fatal Blows... I just think they need a re-work somehow. I don't want them back in the current state.
  • breakaway system - did I mention how much I hate the breakaway system, because I do really hate it

Wigy

There it is...
Towers or whatever needs to go or get revamped massively. Just turned into 'you cant block and take damage from 19 different missles so you better have a heal and some other nonsense to just spam and pray'.

MK9 challenge tower was just mountains better. Actually fun, varied and challenging.

On top of that waiting 6 months for a patch to get one impactful character change and 23 tower changes.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Get rid of variations , breakaways, OP Jump kicks you can't AA and watered down gameplay. Oh and add Ermac this time or I aint buying this sh*t.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope characters aren’t locked behind SP content. I don’t want to have to unlock any characters via story mode. Unlocking characters was cool way back in the day, now it’s just an annoyance for those of us who don’t care about the story. I’ve said this a bunch of times, but I only played the MK11 story up until I unlocked Frost, skipping all of the cutscenes and dialogue whenever I could, then never finished it or played it again after unlocking her. And I didn’t even use her (well, I tried her out in training mode). That said, it was at least better than MKX Shinnok where you had to beat the whole fkn story to unlock him (and I actually mained him).

So yeah, I no want that in MK12

Rizz091

Noob
Dang near everything introduced in mk11.

Variations
Recharging meter
Separate Offense and defensive meter
Fatal blows (and any other mechanic that rewards you for losing)
Flawless block on hit
Universal wake up attacks
Over powered jump in attacks (anti airs as strong as mk9 would be nice)
Crushing blows (instead have high combo damage through real execution)
Overly indulgently long throw and super animations.
Break aways. (Read and punishing breakers would be cool though, like burst baiting in guilty gear)

Art Lean

Noob
I don't know if this is just a Playstation thing, but I absolutely hate how in MK11 if you play local 2-player, the second player only has access to the customised characters they've unlocked on the second profile they've had to log in with.

That would be semi-acceptable if you live in a household with two different MK11 players and their own preferred array of skins and movesets, but the only people I ever play MK11 with are random friends who pop round for a beer night, so needless to say that don't have any unlocked gear and skins. And there would always be moaning that their Kitana has to be a zombie or why is their Nightwolf wearing a stupid cycling helmet.

So instead I've had to play MK11 a fair amount all over again on a second profile just to unlock as many duplicates as I could from those on my own profile, that way guests also had access to most of my customised character designs (though gave up on a few that required long grinds of the Character Towers to recreate).

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Just want to start this post out with, there's no deal breakers for me with MK. I'll be playing it regardless, it's MY fighting game, I don't play the others lol. That said, things I want to never return:

1. Variation system. Go back to complete characters. If they have an archetype and have bad matchups, so be it. Learn an alt or learn the matchup.

2. XRay/Super/Ultimate/Fatal Blow whatever it's called, NOT being tied to meter. I don't mind the meter system at all in mk, but having that comeback mechanic not tied to meter was wack.

3. XRay/Super/Ultimate/Fatal Blow being able to be used more that once. Needs to go back to if you use it and miss, it's gone.

4. MKX style gameplay. Aka revolving around 50/50s and lack of neutral. No thanks

5. Quan Chi

6. Lack of, hmm, how to put this, the cammy effect in MK. If you gotta go with the whole all the ladies get nun outfits while the dudes get to go shirtless thing for cancel culture and wokeness or whatever, at least give the ladies ONE outfit where they get to flaunt. And no I do not consider the MK2 diaper lady outfits as being that like NRS thinks they are. lol You guys invented the damn ESRB and you're telling me you can't be a little risque? pfft

all I can think of right now.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
1. Variation system. Go back to complete characters. If they have an archetype and have bad matchups, so be it. Learn an alt or learn the matchup.
I don't get why everyone hates variations. Locking OG moves on legacy characters into specific variation options is really neat. :DOGE

Jokes aside, MK11 had the opportunity to make the variation system idea an actually effective one with the custom variations. There's always the argument to be made of characters being baseline "complete" instead, but I argue that having some rotating options depending on desired play style and/or matchup is interesting in theory. Shame they fell flat on their faces with it. Will leave it at that as I've gotten on my soap box about this specific topic more than enough times at this point.

Art Lean

Noob
6. Lack of, hmm, how to put this, the cammy effect in MK. If you gotta go with the whole all the ladies get nun outfits while the dudes get to go shirtless thing for cancel culture and wokeness or whatever, at least give the ladies ONE outfit where they get to flaunt. And no I do not consider the MK2 diaper lady outfits as being that like NRS thinks they are. lol You guys invented the damn ESRB and you're telling me you can't be a little risque? pfft
And ironically enough, the majority of women who cosplay as these characters always seem to go with their most revealing outfits. So even many women prefer those old costumes.

Surely if they just hire a woman as their character artist/costume designer, then it doesn't matter if she comes up with any saucy designs then anyway?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Custom variations could have been cool, but because of the point/slot or whatever it was called system it ended up being rather limiting as well.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
And ironically enough, the majority of women who cosplay as these characters always seem to go with their most revealing outfits. So even many women prefer those old costumes.

Surely if they just hire a woman as their character artist/costume designer, then it doesn't matter if she comes up with any saucy designs then anyway?
Honestly, who cares who does the art? I think we can all appreciate some well-designed costumes, and everyone of all sexualities can enjoy playing a game with some attractive men and women in it. Let's get some variety in costume design and all have a good time.

Art Lean

Noob
Honestly, who cares who does the art? I think we can all appreciate some well-designed costumes, and everyone of all sexualities can enjoy playing a game with some attractive men and women in it. Let's get some variety in costume design and all have a good time.
Well yeah, that too :laughing:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Something I don't see mentioned often, but really hate, are meter burn attacks (as opposed to EX attacks). I just hate meter burns and all of the forced guessing that come with it. Like, I hate blocking a teleport from Scorpion then being afraid to punish because he might meter burn it at the last second and launch me. Or any other situation where you have to second guess yourself because the opponent might decide to make themselves safe after making a mistake.

I think that if you want to do an enhanced teleport to launch and/or be safe, you should commit to it when you do the teleport. I also dislike (nearly) every combo requiring a meter burn move to work especially classic moves like Scorpion's spear. I think using enhanced moves to improve your combos is great, but every combo in MK11 feels so similar to me where you start a string, do a MB special, then end with a string into a special move. It all feels so formulaic to me.

Variations in both MKX and MK11 on average have more special moves than characters in pre-variation NRS titles. There is no "ditch variations in favor of complete characters". The "complete characters" you had were characters with 3-5 special moves, and now you have characters with 3-5 special moves, except now you can mix/match so there's more characters with full sets of useful special moves and less ice puddle

The idea that variations are either "useless because there's only one optimal one anyway" or "split 'full characters' into three 'semi-characters'" doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny when looking at move lists or tournament results. This is TYM's Monkeys's Paw - people are wishing for something that will ultimately hurt them.

Things that realistically need to be changed:
  1. Fatal Blows and Breakaway need to die a horrible death
  2. Krushing blows need to work like Soul Calibur lethal hits. Another game company has figured out how to do this well. Just do what they do.
  3. Wakeup rolls should not cost less meter than a wakeup attack
  4. Two more frames of throw break window for fuck sake
Things MK11 got right and must not change:
  1. Anti airs actually "anti-air". Grounded moves should never trade with jump attacks.
  2. Automatic meter recovery is good and if you don't think so we can't be friends
  3. 12% damage throws that beat pokes (throws "beat" pokes in EVERY NRS title, but here throws can affect hurtboxes, which is good)
  4. Kotal Kahn is in the game

Last edited: