What's new

what is scorpion.

was this useful to you

• Total voters

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Ok the reason I'm asking this is b/c everyone seems to use him differently. The scorpion forums are full of excellent people who play this character well. So since we know that scorrpion is all about vortex, how do you implement this into your game plan as a scorpion player. How do you take advantage of neutral safe set-ups like: f3, f4xx takedown, 2, 1+2xx takedown, 2,1xx takedown, or hellfire? How do we go about, setting up voids, should you use the void? Do you use a basic 1,1 xx spear, jip, 2, 1+2, spear? Should we go for the slips set-up? 1,1 xx spear, njp, (shortest possible dash) B2, jik, teleport, (shortest possible dash) f4,3 xx spear. More importantly how do we use this in our game plan?

I'm not Slips, PimpUigi, or @gamerblake but I do think I have an excellent grasp upon this character or atleast an idea. I know scorpion has poor footsies and yes this makes it hard for him. The question is with what we have how do we utilize it?

I like to use neutral set-ups with my scorpion if I'm doing the vortex. Why do you ask? I simply like the thought of me not having to risk anything, and having time to react to my opponent should he do anything. That being said his neutral set-ups do have some mix-up potential. These are already known and don't really add alot, its something more that f4, spear, or B2 and they are safe.
2,1,xx takedown
2,1, xx takedown: this is the grandaddy of scorpion mix-ups. the reason I would use this though not very often is b/c it makes the opponent guess as to what you are gonna do. cause form that 2 you could go 21,2, 2,1 xx takedown, 2,1+2. those are three safe options that are mix-ups in their own right that you are guaranteed from a vortex. I know 2, 1+2 isn't safe, but it is very easy to see if you hit confirmed this or not and use a takedown to make it safe.

f3
F3: Alot people are gonna see this, and say hey nobody is gonna take that its way to slow, and it's not gonna net me any real damage. The reason to use it is simply it leaves you at no risk at all. So many scorpion players get so into doing the F4xx spear, or the B2 that they rub the vortex off. The f3 is neutral on block. It's also +6 on hit, and slowy advances the opponent into the corner. If they block it you can always d1 its 6 frames has a good anti-air hitbox and can potentially anti-air. You can combo with a 3 to juggle and get a full combo back into the vortex. Since this is +6 on hit your opponent must respect the 3 afterwards. You also get a free throw attempt. If you feel a jump is coming you could njp2 , if your feeling like they aren't gonna press a button you could grab them. This has uses, but you have to apply it, and be patient.

Hellfire
Hellfire; Why is it here? Well simply b/c after any teleport you can do this for free. This move also if you don't jump in or dash leaves with enough space to react to any move thrown out. Allows you to backdash B2 or spear, or just Njp 2 if you feel like a jump in will happen. You can armor most things on reation. You can pretty much start the game back like at the start of the where both people have to look to see what the other is doing. Its not much, but it is something.

Void
Void: the void is the act of taking the opponents wake-up with scorpions d1,d3,d4,F4, or B2. All scorpion players need to be using this. Most things that apply to the vortex apply to the void. The thing about the void is form certain set-ups only certain options are available @K.O.E did a really good vid on this. Those will be included at the end. The reason you want to use the void is b/c this can add an element of surprise to your game, and can lead to some potentially devastating mind games.

Non-vortex mixups
Non-vortex mixups: scorpion has a couple of great mixup tools that don't use the vortex. These mix-ups are things that do quick safe damage, or can be far more deadly in use. Scorpion can like listed in the vortex section has 2,1 mix-ups. He can off cancel a takedown after the first two hits of most of his strings, this is not powerful, it may never catch a smart player, but once again is a option.

1,1 xx spear, njp, B2, 3 xx teleport, 3, xx teleport, teleport.
Scorpion can after this combo do another teleport that will either cross-up the inputs for a character, or make nothing come out at all. The last teleport is safe, if your opponent is sub-zero for example, if done right sub-zero will do his slide, but he will be blocked and punished. If he ice cloned it will not appear and you can spear punish the whiff. Other characters can be shut down by a B2. i will elaborate on this in a later post .

(corner only) 1,1 xx spear, jip, F2,1, xx :exflameport, 2,1, 3,3, xx teleport, 1,1, xx spear
This is a void combo that can be done only in the corner. It has tricky timing, but allows for a reset, back into that same combo. this combo is 47% when performed. (F4 or d3 options only)

(Corner only) 1,1 xx spear, jip, F2,1, xx :ex flameport, 2,1, xx teleport, (shortest possible dash) F4,3, xx spear.
This combo is another void combo that works only in the corner this is a bit easier to execute than, the top one. This leaves every option that is available to the void mix-up.

I would appreciate the input of the community on this and the thoughts of various pros to help evaluate this.

When to punish with vortex
vortex: We all know what Scorpion's vortex is, and most should know how it's applied. I went over his options in the beginningof this thread now I wanna cover when should you punish with this. The vortex is indeed a powerful tool, but it should never be take precedence in an instance where your opponent has doesn't have meter, and is punished by a 3,3,xx spear xx, or a 1,1, xx spear xx. The reason why I say this is because you will get more guaranteed damage from, and a better mix-up from a void. Yous should never take a risk when you have a choice to use something less risky, and equally rewarding.

I personally prefer to use slips void combo if I need to create a life lead, or regain a life lead. The reason being it's not as high risk as the vortex itself, seeing as you can visually tell if the spear is gonna hit or not. You could choose to sacrifice damage for a more reliable, and easier void such as the 2, 1+2, xx spear xx. It's no doubt the easiest void combo, you should still try to master the slips combo, or the Njp version though. The great thing about the void is that the opponent has to commit to a guess, they cannot fuzzy guard it, this of course makes it have more inherent risk for opponent if they were to guess wrong.

To me the best time to punish with vortex is when you're in the life lead and have nothing to risk. Now why is that. Cause when you're in the life lead all you're doing now is doing safe chip damage, or getting the occasional F3, throw. This make it so that if you indeed do use the F4, or B2 that it will not be looked for. From my experience online nobody ever sees the F3 coming, or they never guess a 2. 1+2, and if they do you have nothing to worry about cause those are safe, options being that 2, 1+2 can be cancelled into take down.

The void, vortex, and random advantage 3,3,4 are Scorpion's best tools you need to be using those. all of those have their place in his game.

Void videos by K.O.E_18

A vid done by red raptor a while ago I dont personally advocate it, but it might help.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
About f3 it's actually +6 on hit but yeah it's 0 on block. The problem with f3 is it's easily guarded when it comes to mixup situations (can also be armored out of off a jip). Not only that the full duration of the move is 46 frames and while safe on block it can get you blown up if the opponent jumps or backs up in footsies. Being at 0 with scorpion up close can be really bad against a lot of characters too. His d1 is 6 frames but it's -13 and +1 on hit so it's really not a great situation to be in. Pretty much all his options after f3 are risky and grant less of a reward than other situations, on hit it's another story.

Scorpion is great when it comes to mixups but it's all he has. You can have all the tricks in the world but getting it going is where scorpion is weak. In some match ups even trying to be safe is going to increase your chance of losing. Against characters like cage, sonya, kabal and ect. if you land a spear you better take everything you can get.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
About f3 it's actually +6 on hit but yeah it's 0 on block. The problem with f3 is it's easily guarded when it comes to mixup situations (can also be armored out of off a jip). Not only that the full duration of the move is 46 frames and while safe on block it can get you blown up if the opponent jumps or backs up in footsies. Being at 0 with scorpion up close can be really bad against a lot of characters too. His d1 is 6 frames but it's -13 and +1 on hit so it's really not a great situation to be in. Pretty much all his options after f3 are risky and grant less of a reward than other situations, on hit it's another story.

Scorpion is great when it comes to mixups but it's all he has. You can have all the tricks in the world but getting it going is where scorpion is weak. In some match ups even trying to be safe is going to increase your chance of losing. Against characters like cage, sonya, kabal and ect. if you land a spear you better take everything you can get.
Well this is where I'm trying to come up with some things. I know that scorpion has something up his sleeve that we are not either trying or experimenting with. Even then we need to start coming up with solutions rather than lingering on this. I actually think neutral is where I wanna be. I believe scorpion is character that requires patience, and making good reads, as well as knowing what the opponent needs, or wants to do.

I just feel like this character is under explored. Like I feel 3 isn't used correctly by alot of scorpions. I also feel like people wasting meter on :exteleport outside of corner combos, or an off screen tele are wasting the meter. I want this thread to be about trying to make solutions or tech that may help in match-ups. I just feel like dwelling on all his bad things are wrong.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Character specific Tech and Gimmicks. *by no means should you use the gimmick over the void, but its something that can be used. This is something that your opponent could simply back roll away from, but then again you could simply hellfire the roll.
Johnny Cage:
Sweep:All of johnny cage's wake-ups can be avoided by sweeping. You get a full punish into vortex, off of this and this is good for scorpion b/c its hard for him to start up in this match-up.
1,1 xx spear, njp, B2, jik, xx teleport, 3, xx teleport, teleport: This is a gimmick. This is a safe set-up used to bait a character into doing an unsafe wakeup attack or, punishing some with a B2. This works on Cage b/c his shadow kick is a full punish on block. His flash kick can be baited and punished on block.

Sonya Blade:
3: The reason why I posted 3 is b/c 3,3 will stuff any wake-up attack that isn't EX Kartwheele. This is something i can see as being a powerful tool or asset. This match-up is bad. No doubt. Scorpion lacks a good wake-up attack to make her afraid of pressuring him on wake-up. You may say well takedown is good and its safe, the problem is this is easily baited, and punished cause its horrible on whiff. She also doesn't lose anything for taking it. This should be used as a check when she doesn't have meter. Sonya has no reason at all to not use ex kartwheele on wake-up so this is only as powerful as long as you can keep her breaking combos, and conserving meter. Try sweeping her first, she has to respect a 3,3,4 after a sweep. 3 can also stuff Sonya's and Mileena's D4 I have dont this a couple of times, but I'm trying to see how use full this is.

Sonya Blake has confirmed that she can be punished on the dive kick. I don't think scorpion has a normal fast enough to punish it though, but this is worth while to try.

Sub-Zero:
1,1 xx spear, njp, B2, jik, xx teleport, 3, xx teleport, teleport: This is once again A GIMMICK. This a powerful gimmick on knockdown on sub-zero though. Sub-Zero cannot puish you, he cannot ice clone he has to respect this. If he decides to do a wake-up attack he WILL BE PUNISHED. If he ice clones spear him on reaction. If he slides that is a full punish.

Cyber Sub-Zero:
1,1 xx spear, njp, B2, jik, xx teleport, 3, xx teleport, teleport: A gimmick that works the same way it works for his human counter-part.

To be successful with Scorpion I think it is necessary to have above average fundamentals. Scorpion doesn't have a fast advancing normal, and his d4 doesn't have good advantage on hit like the rest of the cast. Also, he doesnt have good whiff pinishers, so your forced to be more calculated and pick your spots. As a result, my gameplay is more defensive oriented, but not necessarily a turtle.

Counter poking is a good way to stuff your opponents defense & create pressure
http://testyourmight.com/threads/counter-poking.16437/

I suggest getting very aquatinted with counter poking. After mastering it I no longer have trouble with Kitana players spamming her d1. Once you block her d1 you can immediately d1 her back. Also, Cage can get in with f3 after a landed d4, but of you block the d4 and then d1 it stuffs f3 during startup.

NKZero

Noob
What d'you guys think if Scorpion had a +12 frame advantage or whatever off a D4 on hit like most characters do? That would enable him to enter the vortex every time. Only 6 frame pokes (and it has to be on point) or specials can prevent Scorpion from following up with B2 but they have to take F4. Obviously you wouldn't even try to interrupt in the first place so basically you get the 50/50.

I think the best thing was that if Scorpion was given like maybe +7 advantage on hit so that opponents can poke out of a B2/F4 follow-up but must respect other strings such as 334 or 111. What d'you think?

What d'you guys think if Scorpion had a +12 frame advantage or whatever off a D4 on hit like most characters do? That would enable him to enter the vortex every time. Only 6 frame pokes (and it has to be on point) or specials can prevent Scorpion from following up with B2 but they have to take F4. Obviously you wouldn't even try to interrupt in the first place so basically you get the 50/50.

I think the best thing was that if Scorpion was given like maybe +7 advantage on hit so that opponents can poke out of a B2/F4 follow-up but must respect other strings such as 334 or 111. What d'you think?
why not? Other characters have things that are absolutely ridiculous in their favor.

I think f3 should be 9 frames and hit twice. Even without good advantage on his low pokes this would drastically help his footsies game. It can't used to start combos, but on hit it would grant him good pressure options and a way to close the gap in the neutral game with little to no risk.

NKZero

Noob
why not? Other characters have things that are absolutely ridiculous in their favor.

I think f3 should be 9 frames and hit twice. Even without good advantage on his low pokes this would drastically help his footsies game. It can't used to start combos, but on hit it would grant him good pressure options and a way to close the gap in the neutral game with little to no risk.

Actually yeah you're right, Cyrax has a better 50/50 and it's safe (he can do it off a hit D4) and also Quan with meter get's the rune trap or a 50/50 into a rune trap set-up. Actually yeah forget what I said :p. I also agree about F3 being quicker. I think it should be as quick as Kang's F3 personally. I dunno whether that is 9 frames but whatever it is it should be similar.

Actually yeah you're right, Cyrax has a better 50/50 and it's safe (he can do it off a hit D4) and also Quan with meter get's the rune trap or a 50/50 into a rune trap set-up. Actually yeah forget what I said :p. I also agree about F3 being quicker. I think it should be as quick as Kang's F3 personally. I dunno whether that is 9 frames but whatever it is it should be similar.
Lol it would really be a great buff & not being a combo starter keeps it from being to powerful

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
All that would be cool, but can we kinda stay on the topic of what can scorpion do to compete, with all of this. The fact of the matter is he doesn't have it, but he does have tools that are very high priority. I think like K.O.E_18 said to play scorpion competently you need to have an idea of how to counter-poke, and stuff. Usually I will use d1 after a 3,3,4 or 3 after a F3. I also believe that three has amazing stuffing properties that needs to be explored.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage

lol Nah, he's got some safe stuff. But he's just decimated in the face when it comes to poking battles. Scorp's screwed due to NRS' incompetence on his awful pokes in that department. His d1 and d3 should be nowhere near that awful. IF they fixed that, I think everyone would agree that Scorp could be pretty good. Scoot Magee summed it up man.

Hit advantage:
D+1 - +1
D+1 (vs crouch) - -1
D+3 - -7 <---worst shit ever
D+3 (vs crouch) - -6 LOL at 1 frame less disadvantage?!

Block advantage:
D+1 - -13 WTF?! -13?! C'mon.
D+3 - -7 Well I think it's safe to say that this is the worst thing in the entire game

I mean, his vortex's good but not that damn good where his pokes should be penalized to this extent. His standing 1 is 12 frames at that as well. Yeah, it's safe on block, but it's still a whopping 12 frames which is really dang slow for a standing 1. I don't know how he's supposed to even deal with poking and counter-poking with a potential -13 D1 on block only further reinforces how much of a gamble he is to me. That D1 is just awful man. +1 on hit but -13 on block? Ugh.

You're better off trying the vortex at least you're getting a potential 50/50 and can kill them with enough correct guesses. I don't know...I just...ugh. NRS needs to fix his crap pokes. Tone down his vortex I guess and give him some real pokes? TBH it'd make him a better character.

quandaghost to stay on topic, I base my footsie game with Scorpion on mind games. Basically doing things that can easily get me punished that create opportunities for bait. For example after I counter poke I back walk/back dash out of my opponent's range & hellfire. Hellfire is combo punishable from that distance & I'm well aware that my opponent knows this. Now the next time we are in that situation my opponent's best option is to jump because they avoid my hellfire & get a combo punish at the same time. However, i was baiting it the entire time & I can AA with any of Scorpion's options

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
See my strategy with scorpion to, play patiently, and create opportunities, through consistent air to airs, anti-airs, punishes, and stuffs. My whole plan is to agitate my opponent to death. Through safe pressure, hellfires, safe vortex set-ups, and grabs. If i punish I'm doing 38%-47% off the bat, if I air to air 28%-31%, anti air is much of the same. I do rushdown, with scorpion only to keep myself from being backed into a corner or for positioning on the screen.

K.O.E we play some what similar. Except you play a more zoning type of game while, I go for a more deejay approach and mix in a little of both. Scoot Magee did say things that are true, but its the same stuff that is circulating around, and its not really doing much to help the character. Its important to know your limitations, and capabilities. I understand that. He has alot of problems. What I'm trying to do with all this is see what can we do GNG Iniquity. I'm no slouch with this character and neither is K.O.E, and even with these set-backs we do win fairly consistently.

GNG Iniquity dude d1 is basically universally -13 on block. Kitana's d1 is -15 on block & it's still not punishable. D3 is -7 but there are only a handful of attacks that are under 7 frames. Not to mention it will still be hard to punish. It's only bad because Scorpion doesn't have any options after it on hit.

GNG Iniquity

I'm no slouch with this character and neither is K.O.E, and even with these set-backs we do win fairly consistently.
I don't doubt it, I think the world just needs to see more safe Scorpion play. At this point, I'm realizing that without a 360 I'm missing out. Fuck PSN man. Hot garbage.

GNG Iniquity dude d1 is basically universally -13 on block. Kitana's d1 is -15 on block & it's still not punishable. D3 is -7 but there are only a handful of attacks that are under 7 frames. Not to mention it will still be hard to punish. It's only bad because Scorpion doesn't have any options after it on hit.
True, but Kitana's d1 gives pushback making it difficult to punish. Hers is inarguably a little different; though I'm sure it CAN be punished but it's more character specific. And yeah, you're right about the D3, unless you're Sek or Cage...well he's probably gonna get blown up against Cage anyways due to the poke battle lol

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I don't doubt it, I think the world just needs to see more safe Scorpion play. At this point, I'm realizing that without a 360 I'm missing out. Fuck PSN man. Hot garbage.

True, but Kitana's d1 gives pushback making it difficult to punish. Hers is inarguably a little different; though I'm sure it CAN be punished but it's more character specific. And yeah, you're right about the D3, unless you're Sek or Cage...well he's probably gonna get blown up against Cage anyways due to the poke battle lol
The thing about safe scorpion play is you lose out on damage, the benefit is now your opponent has to guess upon 6 different options as opposed to 2. People in my opinion are getting too strung up on risking it all to gain it all. Sometimes you have to play patiently, work that vortex to the point of where your opponent respects the guessing game it provides. Iniquity hopefully we can work something out to where we will be able to get some casual sessions some how. Mark and I are working on it, but we are still trying to organize everything. Like I suggested maybe doing a pot where we try to amass 30 bucks for gas to get a carpool going for people who need to be picked up, and maybe lodging for those who do have to travel for like 4 hours like yourself. I wouldn't mind letting you use my couch for a night.

GNG Iniquity

The thing about safe scorpion play is you lose out on damage, the benefit is now your opponent has to guess upon 6 different options as opposed to 2. People in my opinion are getting too strung up on risking it all to gain it all. Sometimes you have to play patiently, work that vortex to the point of where your opponent respects the guessing game it provides. Iniquity hopefully we can work something out to where we will be able to get some casual sessions some how. Mark and I are working on it, but we are still trying to organize everything. Like I suggested maybe doing a pot where we try to amass 30 bucks for gas to get a carpool going for people who need to be picked up, and maybe lodging for those who do have to travel for like 4 hours like yourself. I wouldn't mind letting you use my couch for a night.
Yeah that could work out man, we'll have to figure something out. We should just dig a tunnel and travel through the various cities that way!

GNG Iniquity all pokes pushback on block/hit. Even though pokes are -13 they still can't be punished. For example, if Cage f3,2 - d1 and I block d1, I can't punish it with my 6 frame d1 even though he's -13. So he can block my d1 and counter poke back. So the counter poke battle comes down to whoever fails to block and retaliate with a poke. This only happens because the person who blocks the poke is at advantage and can stuff basically any of the opponent's follow ups

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
like I find that if cage starts doing F3,3 you can d1, but if he does F3,3,4 (I think that's the notation) you have enough time to 3,3, xx spear stuff his next F3. That's b/c of the push back after the 4 in the string. Playing scorpion you really have to experiment with these, and how to condition your opponent to respect an option you posses i.e double hellfire on projectile trades (that's a 16% projectile) nobody wants to take that. K.O.E_18 have you tested to see if 3 can indeed stuff mileena, and sonya's D4?

The pokes have good cancel advantage, especially d4. Cancel into takedown after pokes usually and once in a while do something crazy.

Espio

Kokomo
I approve and honestly, I've always felt Scorpion should play more to this style, why take excessive risks if you don't have to? He can get 100% acceptable damage off of his BNB combos in the high 30-40% range meterless. I don't like the high risk playstyle, so playing Scorpion like this is ideal in my opinion.

This style of play opens up much better mind games too and the added bonus of removing the high risk maneuvers from the quation.

I played Scorpion early on in the game and found the most success off of low risk, standard mix ups and BNB's, so I found this helpful:).

like I find that if cage starts doing F3,3 you can d1, but if he does F3,3,4 (I think that's the notation) you have enough time to 3,3, xx spear stuff his next F3. That's b/c of the push back after the 4 in the string. Playing scorpion you really have to experiment with these, and how to condition your opponent to respect an option you posses i.e double hellfire on projectile trades (that's a 16% projectile) nobody wants to take that. K.O.E_18 have you tested to see if 3 can indeed stuff mileena, and sonya's D4?
I haven't had a chance but I can do it today for sure bro. I can confirm that it stuffs d1 attacks though.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I hardly even bother with d4 now. I've decided that since Scorp's footsies are indeed that bad...its best just to go for the 50/50. Fuck it.

f3 is good too
Oh shit we have the master himself in here! slips can you also test and see if scorpions 3 can beat out Mileena, and Sonya's D4 also anything you could add in here that could help us get our scorpion's to lvl up, or tech that could help us in these match-ups would be cool man