What's new

What is it like for you to play against Cetrion?

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
As Baraka, cent is a bit difficult for me. I really have to make it count if I can get in.

As Skarlet, it’s just a full screen teleporting shitshow lol

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Same here. She is the epitome of what I can’t stand in fighting games. That runaway style is not fun to play, and not fun to watch. Just all around annoying in every way.
To each his own. I love zoners who have interesting tools (i.e. not just straight, quick, high-hitting projectiles) so I play Cet. I genuinely have more fun playing her than anyone else, especially unga bunga characters with fuck neutral tools like Erron and Scorp.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Might sound strange since everyone talks about her Zoning but what I feel is very strong worthy of Top Tier isn't that. Its her close up pressure and staggers. That's what we seen dominate with cetrion in majors was close up pressure. Add to that she has legit close mix, low or mid into throw or lowinto Rockwall and then you can never corner her or keep her straight with her TP that cost one bar but comes back almost instantly (11 seconds I believe) and then its her Top Tier Zoning.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
And for what it's worth, yes I know Cet is super obnoxious to play against. Her TP out of the corner is too strong, the defensive bar should recharge way slower than it does on that move.

For what it's worth, her weakness is lack of damage. She does 26% for a bar up close, and the rounds I take with full straight up zoning usually end with like 13 seconds left on the clock. The only big burst damage she can get is KBs and the only ranged one she can get is uprock.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The ones I played aren’t familiar with shao kahn I think. There is no way I should beat her that easily.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Her zoning has many layers to it while not being as technical as Skarlets timing on different projectiles. You eat a lot of chip on the way in, and when you're close she has soooo many things to trick you with.

First off, she has arguably the best AA game of the roster, you cant jump at her. She has crazy good buttons to stuff your approach. Her standing normals have a good hitbox while not exposing her hurtbox. Once you respect that she has a throw that sends you fullscreen, and then she has really good pokes, she has wall which is as tricky to punish as Scorpions teleport. If you wait for the amplify to FB you might miss the regular punish, and the d1 into wall that also sends you fullscreen. And even block her shit has so much pushback. It just feels like it's never your turn against a decent Cetrion

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Might sound strange since everyone talks about her Zoning but what I feel is very strong worthy of Top Tier isn't that. Its her close up pressure and staggers. That's what we seen dominate with cetrion in majors was close up pressure. Add to that she has legit close mix, low or mid into throw or lowinto Rockwall and then you can never corner her or keep her straight with her TP that cost one bar but comes back almost instantly (11 seconds I believe) and then its her Top Tier Zoning.
THIS. It's not the zoning itself, it's that when you actually get in you get to play footsies against Cassie yay

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
Same here. She is the epitome of what I can’t stand in fighting games. That runaway style is not fun to play, and not fun to watch. Just all around annoying in every way.
Obviously I really only play Cetrion and Sonya when I play, but to me what makes Cetrion good is her midrange space control game. She’s easily one of the best zoners in the game (Cetrion and Shang are the best imo) but at the same time against a lot of characters she doesn’t win with her zoning and just running away constantly. She wins with her buttons, wall and her god tier shimmy game.

Wigy

There it is...
I don't know why her shimmy/stagger/neutral game is better than most of the cast with her zoning.

Legit she's just missing damage and she would be the best character in the game probably.

Hot take-

Her 11 is absolutely mental. No character wakeups up into a string like her. So fast, stupid hitbox/hurtbox.

Last edited:

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I don't know why her shimmy/stagger/neutral game is better than most of the cast with her zoning.

Legit she's just missing damage and she would be the best character in the game probably.
She’s a lot like Cassie in that she does a lot of things better than the rest of the cast. I guess she’s less safe than Cassie but she also gets full combo conversions from all over the screen with Geyser.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
A very good defensive character design. Not everything in the game has to be about getting in someone's face and pressing buttons.
The only reason why she has good buttons up close is because giving a character only full screen/keepaway tools isn't exactly good design. And her zoning is nowhere near as frustrating or ugly to watch as some things we had in MK9. I'm super glad they designed zoning characters in this game that aren't about flooding the screen with air projectiles.
The only thing that's debatable in her kit is the away teleport. I feel like that might give her way too much space control, especially when she's supposed to be punished (when a rushdown character manages to get close to her on their terms). Other than that, she's one of my favorite designs in the game, and the character that annoys me the least out of the "strong" characters.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Cetrion is my main until we get Sindel and Sheeva at which point I'm definitely giving them a look. I haven't fought against a Cetrion player since the first week of the game and in that stage we barely new how to work our characters. I keep seeing the odd mention of Cetrion in threads about characters people struggle against, or that she has dirty stuff. It's probably bias, but while I do feel that Cetrion can hang with the entire roster, I don't think she's easy to play.
She doesn't have a bypass neutral move like Scorpion or throw/mid 50/50 loop like Geras, nor does she have the crazy damage output that Sonya has. She doesn't have anything like Liu's f3 string or crazy pressure like Jacqui. I don't bring these up to say they should be nerfed or that Cetrion should be buffed. I am just trying to understand what other players perceive as her big scary threat. What does it feel like to play against her? What is her signature?
There's a Cetrion in this game? Wait a minute..... You mean to tell me that there are more characters to play against online other than Scorpion? This has to be some sort of troll magic or perhaps....witchcraft....

Guards! Cease him at once!

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I have fought like 3 Cetrions since launch so playing against Cetrion for me is just kind of going in blind and hoping for the best lol