What's new

What is it like for you to play against Cetrion?

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Cetrion is my main until we get Sindel and Sheeva at which point I'm definitely giving them a look. I haven't fought against a Cetrion player since the first week of the game and in that stage we barely new how to work our characters. I keep seeing the odd mention of Cetrion in threads about characters people struggle against, or that she has dirty stuff. It's probably bias, but while I do feel that Cetrion can hang with the entire roster, I don't think she's easy to play.
She doesn't have a bypass neutral move like Scorpion or throw/mid 50/50 loop like Geras, nor does she have the crazy damage output that Sonya has. She doesn't have anything like Liu's f3 string or crazy pressure like Jacqui. I don't bring these up to say they should be nerfed or that Cetrion should be buffed. I am just trying to understand what other players perceive as her big scary threat. What does it feel like to play against her? What is her signature?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
For Jade, she's a superior zoner that can keep her out and punish her for glowing. Cetrion can just run away all day and there is nothing Jade can do about it.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I feel it’s a legitimate counterpick for my main. It’s the type of match where I have to guess correctly and she has to make the wrong read with her zoning. I don’t know if she has legit staggers, but goddamn the pushback from some of her normals do wonders for her. Also, H2O port is difficult for me to deal with.

Bleh.

Raider

Noob
I find her kinda cheap tbh. I wanted to play her but i just can't for some reason. Maybe it's just me but i can't stay on the corner of the stage and spam her moves. I only had one or two Cetrions online and they were constantly spamming her projectiles.

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
She’s a keepaway character that you can never corner. Sure, it costs meter to teleport a further distance away, but she gains it back incredibly fast.

All of her normals have an extended hitbox, meaning trades generally won’t be in your favor up close with her. She also has an incredible back walk speed and back dash.

From full screen if you happen to block a boulder (you can react, but she may hit you up boulder into crushing blow if you jump on reaction to the animation) you enter what I like to call the “boulder meta”. Will she check you with a geyser or hellfire? Throw another boulder? Who knows. The fact of the matter is, if you block a boulder you have to respect her next option.

Add to this a fast, whiff punishing mid and a d4 that low profiles more mids than I feel it should.... and she’s hell to get in on. Let alone lock down.

Oh, and rock wall shenanigans exist.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
I feel it’s a legitimate counterpick for my main. It’s the type of match where I have to guess correctly and she has to make the wrong read with her zoning. I don’t know if she has legit staggers, but goddamn the pushback from some of her normals do wonders for her. Also, H2O port is difficult for me to deal with.

Bleh.
Cetri is no ones counterpick

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
She can be a real pain to deal with for sure. I don't think she's as busted as the top tiers by a longshot, but her teleport is really really good. She controls the match really well unless you either rush her down relentlessly OR manage to counter-zone, while punishing the inevitable TP's.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I haven't played that many. The few I've gone against didn't really have an answer to Raiden's teleport.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Her teleport and natural barrier are extremely annoying to deal with. Also her d3 low profiles everything for absolutely no reason, but that's a problem with many characters.

She does require brain power to use properly though, so I'll take her over most other high/top tiers any day.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
At the highest level, what's makes her top tier isn't her zoning. It's her stagger and backdash pressure.

She could stagger Barrier or EX Barrier from her crouching pokes or she could just d1 then dash in grab/mid because of the fear of barrier. Barrier basically gives her the opportunity to be an offensive beast.

Couple that with the fact she could make EVERYTHING whiff with her backdash after strings like 11 and you have ANOTHER reason the opponent is scared to press buttons in retaliation which opens up yet ANOTHER reason why she could dash up and grab/mid 50-50.

Her zoning, her incredible anti airs, and her teleport on top of all that just make her crazy at the highest level.

If it's just zoning Cetrion, then it'd be LOADS more manageable.

I find her kinda cheap tbh. I wanted to play her but i just can't for some reason. Maybe it's just me but i can't stay on the corner of the stage and spam her moves. I only had one or two Cetrions online and they were constantly spamming her projectiles.
It's called pride. It's the same reason why I can't use Liu Kang anymore.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Cetri is no ones counterpick
My reactions are probably buns and I haven’t played enough of them. Still, the few I have played make “getting in” a pain in the neck. As soon as I do get in, she’ll just poke out with rockwall and send me across the screen again. She doesn’t poke and wall, then I’ll probably eat a throw. Regardless, she plays almost every space in the screen better than Kano can. Getting threatened by Boulders and Geysers from full screen and midscreen, and the poke into safe special cancel from close range makes it dicey.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
At the highest level, what's makes her top tier isn't her zoning. It's her stagger and backdash pressure.

She could stagger Barrier or EX Barrier from her crouching pokes or she could just d1 then dash in grab/mid because of the fear of barrier. Barrier basically gives her the opportunity to be an offensive beast.

Couple that with the fact she could make EVERYTHING whiff with her backdash after strings like 11 and you have ANOTHER reason the opponent is scared to press buttons in retaliation which opens up yet ANOTHER reason why she could dash up and grab/mid 50-50.

Her zoning, her incredible anti airs, and her teleport on top of all that just make her crazy at the highest level.

I should probably rephrase “zoning” and replace it with “spacing.” She can easily create breathing room and faraway pressure in a way that nullifies a lot of Kano’s offense because lack of safe mids. Fullscreen and Midscreen she can just keep checking you with specials. Ball always feels in her court with this MU.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I use Kitana so she’s one of my favorite MUs. I don’t really have to deal with her bs a lot

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Same here. She is the epitome of what I can’t stand in fighting games. That runaway style is not fun to play, and not fun to watch. Just all around annoying in every way.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

This, exactly. Jade can't glow against her because she just gets punished but she needs to glow against her because of barrier and because of the zoning. Cetrion can literally just shut down Jade at every range.

I main Liu and she gives me a headache, it's like as soon as I figure out a way in I get teleported on or thrown or out poked somehow up close. She has too many variables for me right now but I am getting there, it's at worst 4-6 for Liu but probably 5-5

Been sparring with a cetrion fairly regularly so this is like 100+ rounds in