What's new

What if NRS's next game is a MK vs DC sequel/reboot?

What would you personally like the next game to be?

• Total voters

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
First things first, please read the OP before posting any kneejerk comments based on the travesty the original game was.

Now I know this sounds completely ridiculous on paper, and I would much rather have MK10, but I've been thinking, after the commercial success of both MK9 and Injustice, where are NRS gonna go next?

As we all know, MK9's story mode ended with a huge teaser that implied how an MK4 reboot would turn out, but I still can't help but feel it was just that, a teaser, unless they continue with the angle of Raiden foreshadowing events to his past self and drastically alters the setting of MK4, MKDA and MKD as we have come to know them, I just can't imagine them wanting to revisit their least successful venture in the main MK series. And I similarly can't say if there's any clear cut alternative direction for MK10 yet.

On the other hand, we have a fresh product in Injustice, and the most successful new IP in the fighting genre in years, leaving a lot of doors open for it, and I'm sure with all the R&D that has gone into it, Warner Bros will most certainly want to build on their new found scapegoat for DC comic revenue and prevent it from becoming a one game wonder.

Which leads me to believe that pushing the best of both worlds equally is the best possible win-win situation. MK9 and Injustice have similar yet diverse enough intricacies of their own to make this an interesting clash this time around.

While it's still very hard to say how an MKvsDC 2 would turn out, here's a few contrasting things to think about:
  • It wouldn't be released under Midway's "make sure it's ready for the holiday season, we don't care how you do it" jurisdiction.
  • MK vs DC was released before Street Fighter IV, before it, nobody thought 2D fighters would still have a viable market in this day and age, meaning it would be all but 2D.
  • Alot of lessons have been learned from how fatalities were handled in the original game.
  • There's a good chance it would be released with next generation consoles and game engines in mind, more than likely lead developed on the PS4, eliminating any programming and porting concerns (well, Microsoft could derp out and pull a "599 US DOLLARS" for all we know, but I can't see them straying too far from conventional PC architecture for the Nextbox)
  • I can only see NRS wanting to expand on alternative control schemes, and MK9's block button was unnecessary, but yet not a hinderance, so I think a toggle option for such would work.
  • NRS has come to the realization that Kano is not a more popular character than Johnny Cage, Reptile, Kung Lao, Mileena etc.
  • I believe it would make for a better "bring the FGC together" project than Injustice on it's own.
That said, I do understand the problems that come with this:
  • The original MK vs DC may have already inflicted too much damage for the game to even take off, Tekken Tag 2 is the best Tekken game in years, but it was already seemingly tarnished by the stain Tekken 6 left behind.
  • I don't see the entire MK9 and/or Injustice roster making it in considering it could total 50+ characters to re-create on a new engine. Less popular characters like Sinestro, Hawkgirl, Stryker, Sektor, Sheeva etc. may be confined to DLC at best. I like Sektor myself, but Cyrax and Robo Smoke have been favored as the poster boy for the Cyborgs.
  • The contrasting Teen and Mature ratings of both games, although you can argue this is trivial since most "teens" would infact be 17/18 by the time of release.

Thoughts?

Kefka

The Destroyer
Because EVERYONE loved the Heroic Brutalities! Yay! :coffee:

MK v DC was good, but the fatalities were abysmal. MK10 all the way!

aj1701

Noob
No. mk and dc dont mix. Part of the charm of mk is the over the top violence, which would never be allowed by dc. Plus every dc.character is a slot that could be filled by an mk one. I wouldn't buy a game where half the characters dont interest me.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
you actually make a lot of good points in favor of a new MK vs. DC, but it shouldnt happen. They are both wonderful games, but meant to stay seperate

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
STRYKIE

It's certainly a thought-provoking subject. Since it seems like Ed Boon's old statement of "We plan to keep the MK and DC worlds separate in future games" has been revoked in favor of bringing Scorpion into Injustice as DLC - assuming it does become reality, which seems likely given all the evidence - it wouldn't surprise me if a sequel to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was indeed in their minds, but at the same time I wouldn't encourage the plan when they could instead build upon their commercial success from MK9 and Injustice, as you outlined yourself.

I did like MK vs DC. It was the first MK game I played seriously and the very game responsible for planting the seeds that would sprout into my reputation, along with other new-school MK players. I felt that the game had potential to be solid, but it lacked the following factors:

A) A solid netcode. When playing online, moves would sometimes just go through other characters with no effect and you couldn't complete your full combo punishes unless the connection was exceptionally good, like maximum bars or something. If it was any lower, the match would never be an honest one.

B) Lack of patches. Of course, this game was still produced under the lead of the Midway team, right around the time they went bankrupt and Warner Bros. took them under their wing, so they likely weren't in any trace of a financial position to send out any patches or whatever DLC they promised back then.

Probably some other things I neglected to remember, but you get the idea. But if Namco could learn from the disaster that was Tekken 6 and come out with the current design for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, I see no reason NRS can't learn from their errors and develop a better incarnation of MK vs DC.

The big question is, though...given that MK vs DC was 3D back then, and the 3D era was a dark period for the MK designers, would they go back to it or stick with the success 2D gameplay has brought to their name? I did start out as a 3D player, but I would heavily encourage the path of a 2D-styled game.

Still, my vote is on MK10.

P.S. I'm sorry, but the Heroic Brutalities did make me cringe. I would not mind a new MK vs DC, but never do I want to see them again even though I understand not wanting to let the DC heroes kill anyone MK-style.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Well M$ just bought the rights of KI:)
Again, I think that was just more of a "let's hold onto it just incase some other jabroni licenses it and we get nothing from the proceeds" kind of thing.

Nintendo still holds the rights to F-Zero. Sony still has the rights to Parappa the Rapper. Doesn't necessarily mean they've got anything up their sleeves for them.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm glad you wrote "don't have a knee-jerk reaction" cause I was going to say a resounding NO! at first, but after reading your post now, you do make some valid point.

I too was wandering where they could go from here. Do they take the familiar road and give use the same story with a few twists? Or do they go in a completely different direction, with new characters, gameplay, etc, etc.

I like your idea of an MK vs DC 2, and agree with the potential that it could bring, but really, I'm not sure if that is what I'd want. MKvsDC#1 really did leave a bad tast in my mouth, and so do Injustice to a degree as far as a pure MK game goes. IMO they wouldn't be able to make a true MK game with DC characters in the mix, because as "hard" as DC chracters are, frankly MK's characters are harder. An MK character/game without the blood and gore would be boring, and though I really like Injustice, the one thing that gets me every time is at the end of each fight your opponent just gets back up and is fine. I like knocking a dude out, I like finishing him and knowing I won definitively. IMO, Injustice lacks this flavor, and so would MKvsDC2.

At the end of the day I trust NRS to handle "their baby" right, and give it the tlc they did with MK9 and now Injustice. Whether we get IGAU2, or MK10, I'm sure it will be quality, and I'm sure it will be something not expected.

SLy

Noob
Honestly If another MK vs DC was to go down it would be amazing.. As long as its in an 2-D Injustice Engine.. Im done with the block button

Amadeous

Noob
I want MK10. I never got serious about MK9 and I regret it now. Hyped for the next one. Maybe it will be 3D if they are rebooting MK4.

What about Primal Rage 2? That would be sweet.

MKvsDC was a neat idea that sounded cool, but in actual execution just didn't really jive. I'd love to see an Injustice 2 next but it's more likely we'll see MK 10 first. It's very much a possibility that NRS's plan is to switch off between MK and Injustice every two years or so.

I thought NRS had a contract to make two DC games? MKDC being the first one. Injustice being the second. So in other words, on paper, they are done with DC.

I thought MK vs DC was actually pretty good story wise. Could have been done better though.

But for what it's worth it was a cool and fun ride for a one time thing, let's get MK10 first and worry about doing more crossovers later.