What's new

What does it mean "MK/Injustice looks clunky"

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Look, I love NRS and everything they do.

But their animation quality is seriously lacking. Nearly every character in MK9 has this stiff, awkward way that they move except for a notable few (Ermac and Stryker have the best animations) and Injustice doesn't look much different. Look at Scorpion's F4, 3 or Nightwolf in general for how stiff and ugly the animation gets at times.

Another thing contributing to this is how NRS animates characters being juggled. Characters in a juggle state are completely horizontal midair waving their arms around, like they're free falling from a skyscraper. It looks dumb. Other games animate a character being juggled with their body still vertical, but they're bending over backwards somewhat. It just looks more natural this way.

NRS animates stuff like it's 2003 or something. They really need to step their animation game up.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
When early trailers were released I thought the game looked "clunky" as hell. I don't think it's so clunky now. *looks at my sig* It's not made by Capcom which is why a lot of people think it's clunky. Not every developer is gonna have the same look and feel. I personally think Tekken is extremely clunky, but I kind of enjoy it anyway.
Your sig is a perfect example of that. Looks kinda good.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Also, look at how bad MK9 animated in the pre-release trailers. Scorpion's F2, 1, 3 looked AWFUL, as if a senior animator pushed the new guy out of the way and completely re-did it in the final build:

Hopefully Injustice will follow the same trend and some animations will be improved upon before release. It won't fix the overall awkward look of the character movements, but anything will help.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Clunky just like MK9. The animations are not fluid and overall should not be taken seriously as a competitive fighter. Casual with a ton of cool extras, for sure.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Clunky just like MK9. The animations are not fluid and overall should not be taken seriously as a competitive fighter. Casual with a ton of cool extras, for sure.
Just like MK9. :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
My take:

MK and Injustice characters have "weight" and their movements suggest momentum. In MvC3 and SF4, the characters are lighter than air, and move like cartoons. A SF4 character, for example, can jump off the ground with no spin, decide to spin one way on the way up, and then spin the other way on the way down, completely disregarding physics. Every character is also double jointed and lacks tendons.

Some people are used to that kind of animation and see more realistic movements as sluggish.
This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say :D.
The 3D frame on a 2D plane, plus the closeness of the 4'th wall and how big it makes the characters look, when compared to a Persona or a Marvel where there's a LOT more room to move an the sprites are usually pretty small-scale...it's like going from Sakura to Zangief.

I always wondered what people meant when they said that too.I think it's all in the matter of personal feel for the game.I normally hear Marvel players say this.Im pretty sure that a game like MK would feel clunky for someone who is used to the fast paced fighter.Whenever I play street fighter or tekken,it feels hella stiff to me.I've never played either of the two seriously and everything looked and felt slow as hell.Marvel also felt weird.Other fighters just seems like they float back down whenever they jump and they don't feel fluid to me.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
maybe their referring to the fact that when you hit someone, the hits feel more weighted, like you can tell just how hard ur hitting these people n stuff like that. Similar to God of War. It feels more heavy and meaty when you compared to stuff like tekken or streetfighter or UMVC3, where it feels like you could hit the characters with a nerf baseball bat and they'd still go bouncing off the ground or flyin thru the air.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Other than stances its not clunky in my eyes. To me its just bitchy people wanting to hate on it because its not Marvel and booooooo DC thats like our rival or some shit.

Unless they think guys doing combos are doing the moves too slowly during combat they are full of shit. I know Marvel and other fighters speed through their active frames on attacks faster than in NRS stuff so maybe thats all they mean. I don't like some of the stances, but if you see one just ask them how they feel about Sentinel then. Clunkerfuck character needs some more tween frames between keyframe poses.

/bitter as hell at the whiney pricks who throw this up just to continue hating on something that looks good.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Other than stances its not clunky in my eyes. To me its just bitchy people wanting to hate on it because its not Marvel and booooooo DC thats like our rival or some shit.

Unless they think guys doing combos are doing the moves too slowly during combat they are full of shit. I know Marvel and other fighters speed through their active frames on attacks faster than in NRS stuff so maybe thats all they mean. I don't like some of the stances, but if you see one just ask them how they feel about Sentinel then. Clunkerfuck character needs some more tween frames between keyframe poses.

/bitter as hell at the whiney pricks who throw this up just to continue hating on something that looks good.
Or people just have an opinion that differs from yours. Immature and insecure much? The game looks clunky, but this doesn't mean it won't be fun to play casually.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It looking or even being "clunky" isn't necessarily a negative thing. I don't think it looks clunky anyway but even if it turns out to be so, it won't make the game bad because of it.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
The game feels clunky because animations are fucked up. Not to mention the ridiculous stances. People bash on 3d MK for its awkwardness, but stances there were much better than in MK9. Look at Smoke, what the f*ck is that stance ? Poor man's T.Hawk stance or Snake style stance ? Mileena holding some invisible giant cannon ?

Wow this stance thing is so brand new to me.I don't see anything awkward about the stances because they go along with the personality of each character.Nobody have the same looking stance and I like that.I think if they did have the same stance,that would look weird and people would complain about there being no character variety.Im saying this because I've seen a few comments relating to stances when I thought they did a great job emphasizing on how a character stands based on their personality,mobility,origin,and move set.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
Clunky IMO would be defined as frames from an animation missing, even if all the frames were intentionally placed. The animation doesn't feel completely fluid and there is no rhythm from the start or end from that animation. This is the problem I noticed in demos of Injustice, it feels like frames are missing from some characters moves and the start or end of a character's animation feels abrupt, even if its a 4 millisecond action.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
It means that its not a capcom fighter

Also i have lol at Deyrax for talking shit about MK stances when SF stances have people like bison jerking off
Perhaps if you didn't do that thing that much as you probably do, you wouldn't have such an association. He might look like that in SF2, but hey, old 2d mk stances have some retarded shit as well. Which is not the case, because I'm talking about MK9 stances only.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
clunk to me would imply sluggish rigid startstop movements, like Robocop vs Terminator. mk is not clunky imo. i would say "choppy", as the action comes in quick bursts, somewhat like a choreographed scene, its just the style of MK imo. certainly not clunky imo.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Perhaps if you didn't do that thing that much as you probably do, you wouldn't have such an association. He might look like that in SF2, but hey, old 2d mk stances have some retarded shit as well. Which is not the case, because I'm talking about MK9 stances only.
Fail comeback but nice try.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
The game feels clunky because animations are fucked up. Not to mention the ridiculous stances. People bash on 3d MK for its awkwardness, but stances there were much better than in MK9. Look at Smoke, what the f*ck is that stance ? Poor man's T.Hawk stance or Snake style stance ? Mileena holding some invisible giant cannon ?
Finally someone gets it.

It looks exactly like MK9. As if they just re-skinned the models with DC characters and called it a day. Catwoman reminds me an awful like Mileena and Katana combined. Then there's Nightwing who is basically Jade. Lol. NRS is lazy and should be belted publicly for their ACT UP.

Despite all of this however, the game will be great casual fun. It will be embarrassing to see it on the competitive circuit though, just like how MK9 was a joke.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Finally someone gets it.

It looks exactly like MK9. As if they just re-skinned the models with DC characters and called it a day. Catwoman reminds me an awful like Mileena and Katana combined. Then there's Nightwing who is basically Jade. Lol. NRS is lazy and should be belted publicly for their ACT UP.

Despite all of this however, the game will be great casual fun. It will be embarrassing to see it on the competitive circuit though, just like how MK9 was a joke.
Catwoman has a similar attack to Mileena's U4, other then that, how is she anything like her or Kitana?
And for that matter, how is Nightwing ANYTHING like Jade?

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Catwoman has a similar attack to Mileena's U4, other then that, how is she anything like her or Kitana?
And for that matter, how is Nightwing ANYTHING like Jade?
Uhh don't be an idiot. Look at the animations. It's extremely similar in play style. Ignorance is bliss though, so stay dummy for me.

Clunky...

I think the clunkyness comes a lot from the movements of the characters, like for example ... the dashing in MK9 (and basically a lot of different stuff).
Take a close look at it. Is it just me, or do the characters start and end a dash slower, than they actually dash?

That's what feels clunky for me when it comes to MK9. They start slowly, they dash fast and they end slowly. It certainly is realistic, but without breaking the laws of physic, it does look slow and heavy, when we take into consideration, that we're talking about fighting games.
Dashes in Crapcom games are always fast, but therefore sometimes even imbalanced. Magnetos dashes in Marvel are just insane and the potential that comes alongside them.

And to be fair, Injustice doesn't feel clunky to me, since it seems to be faster than MK9.