What's new

What do I need to do differently?

I have a little bit of experience with fighters, I played MK9 on and off since the day it came out.. I didn't play it too much because I don't know anyone in person that plays fighting games nor online have any friends that play.

When I asked for suggestions about who to play, it was more so to help filter out the characters that are more difficult to play, and figure out who to stay away from. Like in MK9, I loved Shang Tsung but knew that he was really difficult to master so I avoided him. When playing MK9 I mostly played Kitana and Ermac.

I generally enjoy playing characters that are more fast paced.. so I really have been focusing on catwoman, but feel like so far she is pretty limited on openers but I could be wrong. I am not opposed to playing aquaman but have a feeling he is going to be extremely FOTM which puts a bad taste in my mouth... just something going back to days of playing RPGs.

For the better half of today I have been in practice mode with batman and hawkgirl. I am starting to lean more towards hawkgirl.. she just looks too badass and hasn't seemed too complicated so far.

Komatose

The Prettiest
A lot of Kitana players have been playing Killer Frost. I play Killer Frost. She is fast and possibly one of the best and there is so much tech being brought to light on her especially tech that Scar came up with. As for Ermac, I would like to say Raven except all her special are pretty much full screen and you can combo off of either one. Although you said you like fast-paced characters, I would say she is sort of slow compared to other characters. Playstyle wise. Not combo wise. I play with her as well.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
A lot of Kitana players have been playing Killer Frost. I play Killer Frost. She is fast and possibly one of the best and there is so much tech being brought to light on her especially tech that Scar came up with. As for Ermac, I would like to say Raven except all her special are pretty much full screen and you can combo off of either one. Although you said you like fast-paced characters, I would say she is sort of slow compared to other characters. Playstyle wise. Not combo wise. I play with her as well.
I made a thread under gameplay that got buried comparing DC chars to MK chars to help new people relate and choose a good match for them. Shame it does not take off to help our newer members :(

Just a thought that came to mind when reading what you said about hawkgirl being a bit slower play style wise, is it safe to say that a slower playstyle might be better starting out to learn control? Idk I feel weird comparing it to riding a bike, but when you first start riding a bike you don't go super fast because you aren't exactly comfortable yet. no? LOL

Komatose

The Prettiest
Just a thought that came to mind when reading what you said about hawkgirl being a bit slower play style wise, is it safe to say that a slower playstyle might be better starting out to learn control? Idk I feel weird comparing it to riding a bike, but when you first start riding a bike you don't go super fast because you aren't exactly comfortable yet. no? LOL
I think I said Raven, but yeah. Hawkgirl is slow too in that department so either is a good example and yes. Start off with someone you need to take it slow with so you can develop a good footsie game. That is one out of a few keys to getting better.

Ohh, ok I thought you were talking about Hawkgirl at that point. So then I am going to stick with her, for a good while. At what point would you say that it is safe to start bouncing around to different characters? Or is that something that I will just know when the time comes.

I have been watching a few hours of streaming every day since the game came out and hear a lot of people talking about playing on sticks rather than controllers. I am currently using the 360 controller and it feels like it is super sensitive, and makes me jump when I don't even want to. I think it often happens just from the momentum of the Dpad coming back up from hitting down.

Is getting a stick something that might be a good idea?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Ohh, ok I thought you were talking about Hawkgirl at that point. So then I am going to stick with her, for a good while. At what point would you say that it is safe to start bouncing around to different characters? Or is that something that I will just know when the time comes.

I have been watching a few hours of streaming every day since the game came out and hear a lot of people talking about playing on sticks rather than controllers. I am currently using the 360 controller and it feels like it is super sensitive, and makes me jump when I don't even want to. I think it often happens just from the momentum of the Dpad coming back up from hitting down.

Is getting a stick something that might be a good idea?
Stick to one or the other.. Once you get good on pad- you have to re-learn the curve on stick and YES there is a difference.

Komatose

The Prettiest
If you are willing to learn and spend money on one, go for it. I know people who have wasted money on sticks and it sat in their house unused because they were not willing to learn how to use it. I play on a Hit Box so I would definitely recommend a stick. Will it make you better? No. Will it make the game feel more likeable to you control-wise? That is a big possibility.

As for characters, yes. You'll know when to start expanding your game. As soon as I got the game, I went into practice mode and went to town with Killer Frost. For me, it doesn't take a long time to adjust to new games/fighters so within a day I was also learning Raven and Hawkgirl while Killer Frost was my main so yeah. You'll know when the time is right.

As for you going directly to Hawkgirl, let me start off by saying, she is super, super awkward to use at first. I was honestly lost with her for the first day I was learning her so be ready to be lost at first lol.

Which is kind of exactly why I am asking now.. before I get "comfortable" on the dpad. Is one better than the other? I would just assume stick is better because that's what higher end players use, so there has to be a reason.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Stick to one or the other.. Once you get good on pad- you have to re-learn the curve on stick and YES there is a difference.
This is a great point. Switching from pad to stick late in the game will make you feel like you're trying to learn the game all over again.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Which is kind of exactly why I am asking now.. before I get "comfortable" on the dpad. Is one better than the other? I would just assume stick is better because that's what higher end players use, so there has to be a reason.
It's all preference. One is not better than the other. It's based solely on opinions.

If you are willing to learn and spend money on one, go for it. I know people who have wasted money on sticks and it sat in their house unused because they were not willing to learn how to use it. I play on a Hit Box so I would definitely recommend a stick. Will it make you better? No. Will it make the game feel more likeable to you control-wise? That is a big possibility.

As for characters, yes. You'll know when to start expanding your game. As soon as I got the game, I went into practice mode and went to town with Killer Frost. For me, it doesn't take a long time to adjust to new games/fighters so within a day I was also learning Raven and Hawkgirl while Killer Frost was my main so yeah. You'll know when the time is right.

As for you going directly to Hawkgirl, let me start off by saying, she is super, super awkward to use at first. I was honestly lost with her for the first day I was learning her so be ready to be lost at first lol.
Could you elaborate on how she is awkward? Is it her trait, or just her in general?

Rodbow

Noob
"Right now anytime I go online I get my ass completely destroyed." Stopped reading right there. Go to training mode and practice.
I stopped reading as well but it was because I was laughing.

Practice combos in training mode and test them out in battles.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

When I first got mk I training mode my combos til the point I could take very hard ai down 2 bars for 1 of mine. Just work on combos with a standing ai then medium then hard etc. Til its comfortable vs moving targets as well. Its hardest to convert the combos from training to the game

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Right now anytime I go online I get my ass completely destroyed. Whether the person has a shitty record or not.
This is normal. This is where I started in MK9. I got hit by every character's dirt, ate every single Mileena roll, was frozen 1000 times, hit by naked xrays, juggled by every single Ermac lift, etc.

I have over 6 hours in practice mode
That's part of the problem already. When you're new, you will need to lab a lot more than this. Try 60 hours, or 600 hours. There is a lot of stuff that can help you; too much to cover here. But here are a few bullet points:

-Learn to defend. Learn what you need to block, and whether it needs to be blocked high or low. Learn other character's strings and attacks if you don't want to get hit by them every single time. If you can't stay alive, you don't get a chance to fight back. So this is key.

-Whatever people are doing to you, remember it and do it back to them. Getting tripped up by low attacks? Besides learning to block low, learn your available low starters and use them on other people. Getting caught in overheads? Learn your overhead options, and use them on other people. Struggling to get through a field of projectiles? Learn how to use your own if you have them.

-Learn character 'styles'. Each character has a way they're designed to be played to be effective. While there's a lot of room for creativity, you at least want to learn the easiest and most effective way to abuse your character's strengths; and then you can branch out from there. Watching video is a huge help with this. So check out some footage of good players and do what they do.

-Learn what safe/unsafe and 'punish' mean. You need to know what your opponents can and can't get away with. If you don't, you'll just be throwing out attacks at random times, and that won't get you very far. So learn about frames, and what you can safely get away with, what's dangerous and should be avoided.

-Keep hitting the lab. It's better to be consistent; 2 weeks of practicing something for 15mins a day is often better than trying to cram 5 hours in on one day and then expecting to be 100% better the next day. Our minds take time to learn; so be patient with yourself.

I went from a target practice dummy to someone who hardly ever loses against 'regular people'.. And now, I will have to level up again to be competitive with 'serious players' like the ones at VSM. It's a process -- welcome to the journey :)

No her trait is fine. For me it was her hard combos and awkward normals. They seem to not make any sense at first lol.
So in case I end up not enjoying her as much as I think I am going to, who else is somewhat similar to her, play style wise? (maybe other than Raven)?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
While Villan can be a dick sometimes all the time, he is right. Just keep practicing. Watch videos of high level players and see what they do.
Dick or not, not excuse. When someone new comes here looking for help and looking to be a part of a community, there is no reason to ridicule them. That kind of negative attitude towards new players will only serve to turn people away. It nearly turned me away when I started mk9 since it was my first game to play seriously.

Komatose

The Prettiest
So in case I end up not enjoying her as much as I think I am going to, who else is somewhat similar to her, play style wise? (maybe other than Raven)?
The only other characters I could recommend is Killer Frost and Bane because those are the only other two I play.

Komatose

The Prettiest
True, but you don't have to limit yourself to others' opinions whether you are considered a noob or not. If you like that character, go for it. Do not let my tips, or anyone elses prevent you from trying to learn a character that some would consider "hard" for a beginner.

I posted this in another thread for Hawkgirl combos, but feel like I might not get an answer for a good while and I am currently practicing with her and am eager to learn.

A combo someone posted:
(J2) 123 B3 J2 32MC 34% - 37%
(J2) 123 B3 J2 32B1 32% - 35%

So, J is for jump, but how do you know when to hit "2"? Is it right when you are jumping, or wait til you are coming down? When I try and do it, I jump too high and don't hit anything, and the couple of times I have made contact, it seems to just be a normal hit, doesn't have any kind of "bounce" to continue a combo off..?

I don't recall seeing what MC means in Villain's earlier post.