What's new

What did you giys want from the 2/28 patch (balance wise)

Just curious on what other people thought / wanted from this patch.
Response can be long short , just want to hear what peopled wanted

BlazingShrapnel

World's Worst Nitara
I was expecting/hoping them to do what I interpreted as their philosophy from the Cyrax nerf patch: no overly simplified gameplans steamrolling people. A stormcell nerf, a further nerf to Lao hat cooldown, Stryker grenade cooldown nerf, maybe a Khameleon cooldown nerf - things of that nature.

I think I ran with that assumption because as a spectator, the Cyrax nerf did improve the viewing experience, so with complaints mounting on the dryness of the meta, it just seemed reasonable for them to do. Especially with how long ago that patch was.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I was expecting/hoping them to do what I interpreted as their philosophy from the Cyrax nerf patch: no overly simplified gameplans steamrolling people. A stormcell nerf, a further nerf to Lao hat cooldown, Stryker grenade cooldown nerf, maybe a Khameleon cooldown nerf - things of that nature.

I think I ran with that assumption because as a spectator, the Cyrax nerf did improve the viewing experience, so with complaints mounting on the dryness of the meta, it just seemed reasonable for them to do. Especially with how long ago that patch was.
This.
I also expected frame data adjustments across all the cast, with minor nerfs for top tiers and good buffs for the bottom tiers. I also expected at least a few characters to gain a new string/normal/being able to special cancel into a previously un-special-cancellable string or something. It was done all the time in MK9 and MKX, after all.

The bosses in Invasions already have extra animations for completely new strings/projectiles which we dont get to use.

LEGEND

YES!

I agree with this.

While I personally think Raiden Stormcell stuff isn't a problem at a competitive level. It sure is boring as hell to watch or fight.

I would have been happy with changes in either direction, as long the repetitive and easy to execute stuff was toned down. Them only really buffing one character makes me think that they are totally comfortable with the current design philosophy.

My cope explanation is that they don't want to make any major changes with a pro tour event being right around the corner. If there aren't any major changes with the Janet release patch, I probably won't bother playing the game again until there are.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
My cope explanation is that they don't want to make any major changes with a pro tour event being right around the corner. If there aren't any major changes with the Janet release patch, I probably won't bother playing the game again until there are.
I was thinking about this, but if that's the case, NRS really put themselves in a lose-lose situation - if they have this planned, they should just communicate it to us, otherwise people are going to be unhappy no matter what.

BlazingShrapnel

World's Worst Nitara
I remember telling someone on here that NRS holding off a patch for something like Dreamhack was kinda unreasonable, but them holding off for a tourney they'll literally be at could make sense.

But as usual, if that was the case, communication is key. We're all losing our minds over when support should come instead of anything concrete.

LEGEND

YES!
I was thinking about this, but if that's the case, NRS really put themselves in a lose-lose situation - if they have this planned, they should just communicate it to us, otherwise people are going to be unhappy no matter what.
MORE COPE:

WBD prevents them from communicating anything that isn't a direct promotion for an immediately releasing product. Saying "we are changing alot of things next patch!" doesn't sell more digital Janets.

kantboy2

Pale Rider
Give the characters the complete toolkits that Invasion bosses and Titan battles have.

Reuse animations from MK9-11 and Injustice to give all characters multiple string options; including kameos.

Add Titan Quan and Fire God Liu Kang as regular kameos.

You know, take the game out of beta.

wsj515

MORE COPE:

WBD prevents them from communicating anything that isn't a direct promotion for an immediately releasing product. Saying "we are changing alot of things next patch!" doesn't sell more digital Janets.
Its so stupid it just might be possible

CipherJ

Noob
How about, “Janet is going to rock so we are going to make an effort to adjust weaker kameo moves to compensate.”

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
  • Sub Zero buffs
  • Raiden Storm Cell nerfs
  • Cage nerfs
  • Lao/Stryker cooldown nerfs
  • Additional (ambush) moves for kameos
  • Stage select in ranked
  • No horrendous-looking (U)MK3 costumes
  • Apology on how they have been handling things and that things (communication) will get better
To name a few

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I expected lots of Kameo buffs. And maybe for some of the weaker characters too, not just Quan.

I agree with this.

While I personally think Raiden Stormcell stuff isn't a problem at a competitive level. It sure is boring as hell to watch or fight.

I would have been happy with changes in either direction, as long the repetitive and easy to execute stuff was toned down. Them only really buffing one character makes me think that they are totally comfortable with the current design philosophy.

Could be wrong, but I don't think they are going to change the Balance of the game too heavily. Best to leave early so you dont get disappointed when it doesnt happen. So what we have currently is kinda what we will have for the foreseeable future. You can kinda gauge how mk11 was balanced and see how mk1 will be balanced. The top 5/10 pretty much didn't move from launch till death. Me personally I don't mind the balance of mk1, but just wanted to see where others were coming from.

rifraf

Noob
Similar to the Kameo balance patch, I was expecting a character balance patch where weaker characters are getting buffed/new moves added, other characters that don't work that well reworked, and slight nerfs where necessary. Like, another balance pass to the whole roster similar to what they did to Quan Chi. I think it's time.

rifraf

Noob
Another think I'd like to mention is Kenshi in the latest patch. Something just puts me off with the changes they did to him. It's very clear that they literally mean nothing in terms of balance and gameplay. So, I feel the balance team is being passive aggressive with the players wanting Kenshi nerfed.

Personally, I don't care if Kenshi gets nerfed or not but there's doubt in my mind these latest changes where some kind of inside NRS joke.

wsj515

Another think I'd like to mention is Kenshi in the latest patch. Something just puts me off with the changes they did to him. It's very clear that they literally mean nothing in terms of balance and gameplay. So, I feel the balance team is being passive aggressive with the players wanting Kenshi nerfed.

Personally, I don't care if Kenshi gets nerfed or not but there's doubt in my mind these latest changes where some kind of inside NRS joke.
Full disclosure I'm a Kenshi main - but he shouldn't be the first on the chopping block, he's currently way overrated by casuals and at the highest level people like TM/Foxy/others are saying he's not even top 5 (TM said top 7 prior to khameleon and Peacemaker, and khameleon meta is bad for kenshi), while others are saying otherwise but then still not choosing to play him in tournaments.

The Kenshi changes were clearly not meant as balance changes, but rather changes to bring sento in line / make it more consistent with how other kameos behave - e.g. sento and kameos now both react to getting hit in similar ways. The changes don't do anything to the character competitively, but I don't think its an inside joke / passive aggression, that's a waste of their time and money.

I'm coping that they'll release a balance patch after the next big pro tour event, but I think its more likely that NRS isn't allocating any resources towards game balance - only KP characters, bug fixes, and skins. I wouldn't be shocked if they were already working on their next game and MK1 is just on a long tail of minimum support / drip fed content to try and squeeze extra $ without much resource investment.

People wanting nerfs to characters as opposed to wanting the lower tier brought up is one of the many reasons why we cant have nice things.
Exactly!!! I swear to god people here can have such short term memory. Did we not just get done with a game we absolutely hated because of how vanilla and bland it was. We were literally just playing strike throw for 4 years. Now people want to nerf top tiers because they get beat by them instead of just buffing the lower and mid tiers to make the game actually fun. Johnny is suppoooosssed to be in your face and opressive. Raiden is supposed to hit and run. Are tools like Stryker and storm cell strong? Of course they are but not even close to broken. Some of you wouldn’t have survived the pre mk11 days I swear.

I was hoping they would leave the top tier completely untouched and just try to bring the lower and mid tiers to their power level instead.

Full disclosure I'm a Kenshi main - but he shouldn't be the first on the chopping block, he's currently way overrated by casuals and at the highest level people like TM/Foxy/others are saying he's not even top 5 (TM said top 7 prior to khameleon and Peacemaker, and khameleon meta is bad for kenshi), while others are saying otherwise but then still not choosing to play him in tournaments.

The Kenshi changes were clearly not meant as balance changes, but rather changes to bring sento in line / make it more consistent with how other kameos behave - e.g. sento and kameos now both react to getting hit in similar ways. The changes don't do anything to the character competitively, but I don't think its an inside joke / passive aggression, that's a waste of their time and money.

I'm coping that they'll release a balance patch after the next big pro tour event, but I think its more likely that NRS isn't allocating any resources towards game balance - only KP characters, bug fixes, and skins. I wouldn't be shocked if they were already working on their next game and MK1 is just on a long tail of minimum support / drip fed content to try and squeeze extra $ without much resource investment.
I don’t want kenshi to be touched at all but you are on crack if you don’t think he’s top 5… easy top 3. Could even be the best

wsj515

I don’t want kenshi to be touched at all but you are on crack if you don’t think he’s top 5… easy top 3. Could even be the best
He's clearly really strong but he has quite a few bad matchups - there's no world where Sindel, Raiden, Johnny, Liu at minimum are below him

People wanting nerfs to characters as opposed to wanting the lower tier brought up is one of the many reasons why we cant have nice things.
That’s the thing there’s more characters with dirt than there is without it, just bring those in line with everyone else, I see “cage nerf” “storm cell nerf” “more Kenshi nerfs” but that’s because of frequent use, they’ll get nerfed and then the toxic edgelords online will just move to the next set of characters and these same people will be back on here complaining all over again it legit never fails.

“Well atleast this top tier is manageable and not like when we had cage, raiden, Stryker and Kung Lao stinking up the joint!”

……

“NRS PLZ!”

The train is never late lol

Exactly!!! I swear to god people here can have such short term memory. Did we not just get done with a game we absolutely hated because of how vanilla and bland it was. We were literally just playing strike throw for 4 years. Now people want to nerf top tiers because they get beat by them instead of just buffing the lower and mid tiers to make the game actually fun. Johnny is suppoooosssed to be in your face and opressive. Raiden is supposed to hit and run. Are tools like Stryker and storm cell strong? Of course they are but not even close to broken. Some of you wouldn’t have survived the pre mk11 days I swear.

I was hoping they would leave the top tier completely untouched and just try to bring the lower and mid tiers to their power level instead.
I think a lot of players have a problem with Johnny because we havent had a character that had “oppressive” pressure since mkx, in mk11 you could mash d1 out of legitimately everything the only characters who could get around it were Jacqui and Jax and that’s if they were playing on wifi and if that didn’t work you could use one of the many long range advancing mids to keep them out.

The only reasonable nerf to Johnny is either making him a glass cannon or making it harder for him to get in I still think that there’s going to be zoning characters in the future that will be able to lame him out but time will tell.

I don't really know, just something to make me think about this game again. Ridiculous buffs to every character or kameo so everyone's broke, some type of interactive lobby to give online a bit of life, shit tons of cosmetics with new cosmetic types.

For me at least, I'm not pissed about the new patch because I just don't care about the game right now. I'll play when Ermac comes out because he's my favorite character and I was deeply hoping he'd be in this game after missing MK11, but I don't really see myself moving away from Tekken and Elden Ring back to MK1 until the eventual Big Rethink that it desperately needs. Maybe since Suicide Squad flopped they'll put more energy into this.

I guess this is probably the worst scenario for a game, when players have just kinda moved on.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Raiden doesn't need a nerf, but he definitely needs a rework. A character that is healthy for the game can be felt not by the person playing them, but by the person playing against them. Which characters in this game does one find fun to play against? Those characters are the ones that simply need buffs/nerfs. The ones which are laborious to play against, need a rework. Raiden falls in that category for sure.