What's new

What are your favorite albums so far this year? Most Disappointing?

idk what to think of this guy though some of his stuff is whack, he raps ultra repetitive and sometimes he's amazing. kendrick that is.
He's different from the typical mainstream rapper. I've heard a lot of his freestyles too, and I think he's pretty legit.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
He's different from the typical mainstream rapper. I've heard a lot of his freestyles too, and I think he's pretty legit.
he's said this, and i quote:
"god damn i got bitches, god damn i got bitches, wifey, girlfriend , and mistress."
now if i remember correctly, that's been said dozens of ways by pretty crappy mainstream rappers.

he's said this, and i quote:
"god damn i got bitches, god damn i got bitches, wifey, girlfriend , and mistress."
now if i remember correctly, that's been said dozens of ways by pretty crappy mainstream rappers.
Yeah, but I don't fault him for that because there's been plenty of metaphors/punchlines I've heard in rap that have been used countless times by different rappers.

Some rappers can make them sound new/amazing, and others sadly cant.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Best/Favorites:

Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album pt.1
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, mAAd City
Nas - Life is Good
B.O.B. - Strange Clouds
Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
Awaken - Broken Circle (Love "Inertia")
Bayless - Within My Reach (LOVE "Dream of War")
Machina - To Live and Die in the Garden of Eden

Worst/Disappointments:

Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
2 Chainz - Based on a T.R.U. Story
DMX - Undisputed (soooooooo disappointed)
Lovehammers - Set Fire
Camisado - Faceless
As I Lay Dying - Awakened

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
My top 10 this year...
10. Lone - Galaxy Garden
9. Between the Buried and Me – The Parallax II: Future Sequence
8. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
7. Ewan Dobson – Ewan Dobson III
6. Soap&Skin - Narrow
5. Torche - Harmonicraft
4. Grimes – Visions
3. Fiona Apple – The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
2. Death Grips – No Love Deep Web
1. Death Grips – The Money Store

I also liked the new Portico Quartet, Meshuggah, Ondatropica.

The Faceless album was disappointing.

Defenestrator

I do windows
thats disappointing... 2 was not as good as 1 in my opinion so its safe to say they are on a decline?
I liked 2, especially Bloodlines, Gears and Cyborg Slayers. Brendon Small released an album earlier this year with songs that he didn't think fit the Dethklok mold but I haven't heard much of it yet. I hope 3 gets better with additional listening....Gene Hoglan's drumming is amazing; I never really paid too much attention to drumming before hearing him.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
I liked 2, especially Bloodlines, Gears and Cyborg Slayers. Brendon Small released an album earlier this year with songs that he didn't think fit the Dethklok mold but I haven't heard much of it yet. I hope 3 gets better with additional listening....Gene Hoglan's drumming is amazing; I never really paid too much attention to drumming before hearing him.
yea he was in death, which was considered the first death metal band ever. i just feel it wasnt as good, but volcano was hype.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
My top 10 this year...
10. Lone - Galaxy Garden
9. Between the Buried and Me – The Parallax II: Future Sequence
8. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
7. Ewan Dobson – Ewan Dobson III
6. Soap&Skin - Narrow
5. Torche - Harmonicraft
4. Grimes – Visions
3. Fiona Apple – The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
2. Death Grips – No Love Deep Web
1. Death Grips – The Money Store

I also liked the new Portico Quartet, Meshuggah, Ondatropica.

The Faceless album was disappointing.
I was not even aware there was a new Fiona Apple album, thank you sir or madam.

Favorite album: Tie between The Evens - The Odds, Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory, and Swans - The Seer
Most disappointing: Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
Album of the Year:
Dan Deacon - America

Some others I really liked:
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Death Grips - The Money Store and No Love Deep Web (the former more than the latter)
of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
Purity Ring - Shrines

Biggest disappointment:
Aaron Freeman (Gene Ween) - Marvelous Clouds

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Swans - The Seer
I hate to say that I've been looking forward to this album for a while and still haven't listened yet.

Also, I'm listening to the new Anaal Nathrakh now and I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be considering I didn't care for their last release much. I'd add them to my top albums this year, at least so far.

I hate to say that I've been looking forward to this album for a while and still haven't listened yet.

Also, I'm listening to the new Anaal Nathrakh now and I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be considering I didn't care for their last release much. I'd add them to my top albums this year, at least so far.
Yeah, it's really awesome. Soundtracks for the Blind is still my favorite Swans album though.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i really gotta get back up to speed with music :(

big heavy metal fan here, but there arent too many NEW bands that i listen too

has dragonforce come out with a new album yet? o-0

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Favorite albums this year:

Eluveitie - Helvetios
Katatonia - Dead End Kings
Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes
Wintersun - Time I
Korpiklaani - Manala
Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light
Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
Anathema - Weather Systems

I can't say I can think of any albums that disappointed me because I try not to listen to shit bands. In all seriousness though, it was a good year for folk metal, melodic death, and alt metal (or however the fuck you categorize Katatonia and Anathema these days). If I had to nominate any of the above albums, it would be a toss up between Weather Systems, Helvetios, and Dead End Kings.

Groove Heaven is wrong about everything.

It's funny that a lot of people were posting about Cattle Decapitation. I'm not their biggest fan, but my band just opened for them last month in Poughkeepsie, New York.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
i really gotta get back up to speed with music :(

big heavy metal fan here, but there arent too many NEW bands that i listen too

has dragonforce come out with a new album yet? o-0
Yeah I got lost when I was disappointed with Iced Earth's and Machine Head's new albums :(

Gotta get back into it somehow...

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'll just give some disappointing ones:

Blood Stain Child - New lead singer is definitely not my cup of tea, they used to be one of my favs
Muse - THIS ALBUM SUCKS
The Killers - THIS ALBUM SUCKS
Wintersun - I was expecting to be blown away and felt like this was just alright, maybe i'm missing something
Bush - This album pretty much was crap, especially some songs, that one "Stallion" i think is god awful

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I was not even aware there was a new Fiona Apple album, thank you sir or madam.
It's awesome, really stripped down and kind of jarring.

Groove HeavenHave you heard Neutral Bling Hotel?
YES! Look at the Two-Headed Boy is the best one.

The Money Store was awesome too, it's probably in my top 5 for this year.
Yeah they've done some big things this year. Saw them last month, Zach Hill is a beast.

Groove Heaven is wrong about everything.
Pshhhhhhhhhhhhh, my music tastes are patrician.
Time I is really good, though...forgot that one.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Best:
Beneath the Massacre - Incongruous : Business as usual for these guys, but that's a good thing.
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity : These guys have really stepped it up in all aspects.
Goatwhore - Blood for the Master : A bit less radio-rockish and a bit more like Haunting Curse, plus, it's Goatwhore. Hail Satan.

Between the Buried and Me - Parallax II : It's no Great Misdirect, but it's plenty better than Hypersleep Dialogues. I'm looking forward to see what the next step is for these guys. Favorite of the year.

Worst:
Cannibal Corpse - Torture : Like 1 or 2 good songs on here, the rest is boring.
The Faceless - Autotheism : I can't come off of Planetary Duality to this.

Gorod - A Perfect Absolution : What the fuck, Gorod? Last year, easily top 3 technical death metal band. This year? I can't even promote this generic trash. Disappointment of the year.