What's new

Question What are Skarlet's safe strings and/or specials that make them safe?

Enenra

Go to hell.
So, yeah, I'm a scrub Skarlet, but she is easily becoming my favorite kharacter. Quick question because I can't find an answer, does Skarlet have safe normals/strings/specials? I also really like to kombo of F31 if that has any relevance.

ryublaze

Noob
Yeah just check the frame data by Somberness. It is really good. You can make almost all of her strings safe by cancelling them into Red Dash, Red Slide.

Strings that can't be cancelled into Red Dash and aren't safe:
B1, F3
B1, 1, B4
B1, 1, 3

Unsafe Specials:
Up Slash and EX Up Slash
Down Slash and EX Down Slash
Blood Drop and EX Blood Drop
X-Ray (if last hit misses)

Semi-unsafe Specials: (only like -7 or -9 on block so you can be poked afterwards)
Blood Ball (safe on block if used at fullscreen)
Dagger Toss (including dash cancel)
EX Dagger Toss (not dash cancelled)

There are other strings like B2 which are slow and whiff easily so those aren't exactly safe even though you can cancel them into Red Dash, Red Slide.

Altaire

Noob
Yeah just check the frame data by Somberness. It is really good. You can make almost all of her strings safe by cancelling them into Red Dash, Red Slide.

Strings that can't be cancelled into Red Dash and aren't safe:
B1, F3
B1, 1, B4
B1, 1, 3

Unsafe Specials:
Up Slash and EX Up Slash
Down Slash and EX Down Slash
Blood Drop and EX Blood Drop
X-Ray (if last hit misses)

Semi-unsafe Specials: (only like -7 or -9 on block so you can be poked afterwards)
Blood Ball (safe on block if used at fullscreen)
Dagger Toss (including dash cancel)
EX Dagger Toss (not dash cancelled)

There are other strings like B2 which are slow and whiff easily so those aren't exactly safe even though you can cancel them into Red Dash, Red Slide.
You can beat the red dash after a lot of her strings with 6 and 7 frame attacks, so shows what you know. The only time you get a guaranteed red slide from a blockstring into red dash is on strings with sufficient cancel advantage. Of note, F2 1 2 1+2 has enough advantage for a guaranteed (delayed) red slide, which makes her mixup options considerably more ambiguous.

That said, this topic IS fairly lazy, because all of this information is in the frame data. Hell, you can determine how safe or unsafe a string is with nothing more than a practice dummy. When I picked up Skarlet in July, there WAS no frame data for her, and that's exactly what I had to do. Now that you have very good frame data at your disposal, there's really no reason you couldn't consult that to answer your own question. Please take this into account in the future.

ryublaze

Noob
You can beat the red dash after a lot of her strings with 6 and 7 frame attacks, so shows what you know. The only time you get a guaranteed red slide from a blockstring into red dash is on strings with sufficient cancel advantage. Of note, F2 1 2 1+2 has enough advantage for a guaranteed (delayed) red slide, which makes her mixup options considerably more ambiguous.

That said, this topic IS fairly lazy, because all of this information is in the frame data. Hell, you can determine how safe or unsafe a string is with nothing more than a practice dummy. When I picked up Skarlet in July, there WAS no frame data for her, and that's exactly what I had to do. Now that you have very good frame data at your disposal, there's really no reason you couldn't consult that to answer your own question. Please take this into account in the future.
I admit I'm fairly new to reading frame data, but I'm looking at it now and anything +14 frames or higher on Cancel Advantage (block) gives a guaranteed slide right? Red Dash Red Slide is 20 frame execution and a poke takes 6 frames. If this is true then almost all of her strings can give a safe slide.

Altaire

Noob
Well, I don't know, do you normally play against robots?

Red dash into red slide is 20 frames if your execution is perfect every time. This is just not going to be the case every time. I've played Skarlet long enough to know that characters like Sonya, Sektor and Reptile can wreak havoc on you for abusing red slide to make blockstrings safe, outside of a select few strings with enough cancel advantage to prevent any kind of interruption. Kenshi is also a huge threat to her, because he can punish any red dash out of a string with EX upslash risk-free (unless, again, the string has enough cancel advantage to cover the 20 frame window). Out of a string that jails and doesn't have a whole lot of cancel advantage, such as 1 1 4, you're much better off just ending in a double knife toss (provided your opponent is standing) to be safe. Your opponent has no way to beat it, and you can cancel the first knife to create space or go into potential mixups.

Funny, you don't sound nearly so tough when you're out of your element and/or don't have your GFAQs boys to start a circlejerk with. B1 1 F4 is the same amount of negative frames on block as Kung Lao's low hat was in vanilla, by the way. Something to think about, for those of you that claim it's unsafe as though it's a free combo punish for everyone in the game.

ryublaze

Noob
Well, I don't know, do you normally play against robots?

Red dash into red slide is 20 frames if your execution is perfect every time. This is just not going to be the case every time. I've played Skarlet long enough to know that characters like Sonya, Sektor and Reptile can wreak havoc on you for abusing red slide to make blockstrings safe, outside of a select few strings with enough cancel advantage to prevent any kind of interruption. Kenshi is also a huge threat to her, because he can punish any red dash out of a string with EX upslash risk-free (unless, again, the string has enough cancel advantage to cover the 20 frame window). Out of a string that jails and doesn't have a whole lot of cancel advantage, such as 1 1 4, you're much better off just ending in a double knife toss (provided your opponent is standing) to be safe. Your opponent has no way to beat it, and you can cancel the first knife to create space or go into potential mixups.

Funny, you don't sound nearly so tough when you're out of your element and/or don't have your GFAQs boys to start a circlejerk with. B1 1 F4 is the same amount of negative frames on block as Kung Lao's low hat was in vanilla, by the way. Something to think about, for those of you that claim it's unsafe as though it's a free combo punish for everyone in the game.
Of course it isn't going to be perfect every time. Nothing is perfect every time in a real match. What I was asking is if Red Dash Red Slide is guaranteed after any string +14 or higher.

I was going to stay civil about this until that post. I'm not looking to start anything, and I thought you were over everything that happened but I guess not. I think you need to change your attitude. I've seen your recent posts in other forums and I can't say I'm the only one who thinks that.

I also like how you tried to start something with me in this topic but you didn't respond to all the people backing me up:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/playing-around-with-this-character.13437/#post-262080

P. S. My "GFAQs boys" will back me up in any argument you're willing to start. In fact, we're laughing at you right now.

Altaire

Noob
P. S. My "GFAQs boys" will jack me off in any argument you're willing to start. In fact, they're lubing me up right now.
Fixed.

I forgot about that thread, by the way. Unfortunately, TYM isn't always the first thing on my mind, so you'll have to forgive me. Of course, the idea that you'd imply that I'm afraid to start with you is pretty funny when I clearly had no problem doing so here, but I digress.

No, red dash is not necessary safe just because a string has a cancel advantage of over 14 frames. Realistically, it takes around 20 to 25 frames to successfully time the red dash, even if you mash it (which only serves to throw off your timing, in many cases). Your opponent can poke out, and they can also safely jump out. It only takes four frames to successfully leave the ground, and the minute you do, red slide is void. When I played against Shujinkydink's Skarlet, I was able to jump back jumpkick against his red slides consistently in many cases, because unlike most of the people he was used to playing, I understand the limitations and weaknesses of the character. Your only option at that point is to mix in upslashes to AA your opponent, which 1) take longer to come out and 2) get you blown up on block. It's an unnecessary risk with a very small window of opportunity.

Oh, and just for the record: I wouldn't "start with you" if I didn't see you skulking around every individual post that shows even a modicum of distaste for me. In fact, you're so on point with those that it's honestly kind of creepy. Considering you and your crew really like to reach for "LOL U PROBS HAVE NO LIFE" when you run out of decent insults, I really have to wonder what you do with your time when I see that shit.

Altaire

Noob
Do you not see Alerts? The fact that you're willing to go to a separate forum and insult me just because I liked someone's post is hilarious. Please, do us all a favor and leave.
"Alerts"? Uh, that has nothing to do with it if you've never posted in the threads themselves. What I'm saying is that any time I come into any sort of conflict on this site, you're there to like every derogatory post aimed at me, with absolutely depressing consistency.

And... "Do us all a favor"? Well, I mean... If I did that, you're just going to spread shitty Skarlet advice unchecked. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that'd be doing this board a favor at all!

Not going to lie, I laughed.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
"Alerts"? I'm sorry, but alerts only inform me when my name is tagged or a post of mine is quoted/replied. There must be some misunderstanding, my friend. What I'm saying is that any time I come into any sort of conflict on this site, *I* feel personally attacked by you. I would like for us to resolve this conflict privately like adults.

I feel that I am entitled to my views of the character as well and, although I respect your opinions about said character, I feel like I can offer a different perspective. Thank you for your contribution. It was helpful; however, I felt the need to point out a few parts I disagree with.

ryublaze

Noob
"Alerts"? Uh, that has nothing to do with it if you've never posted in the threads themselves. What I'm saying is that any time I come into any sort of conflict on this site, you're there to like every derogatory post aimed at me, with absolutely depressing consistency.

And... "Do us all a favor"? Well, I mean... If I did that, you're just going to spread shitty Skarlet advice unchecked. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that'd be doing this board a favor at all!

Not going to lie, I laughed.
You said you forgot about that thread. Alerts tell you when someone quoted you, and I quoted you in that thread.

Yes I do mean "do us all a favor". My advice has helped the Skarlet community whether you like it or not. I showed some of Skarlet's most highest damaging wall combos, as well as help new players who picked her up. Heck, I even got a PM from another user who thanked me for the advice. The lead moderator, Ninj, even added my combos to the combo thread.

Oh, and in that PM he also talked about you and the way you carry yourself around on TYM. I ask again, please leave before I prove you wrong and humiliate you again.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Red Slides will not always be perfectly executed, nor will a 6-frame D1 always be perfectly executed. The Red Dash allows Skarlet to be extremely versatile by being able to take advantage of the EX properties when need-be.

Altaire, say for instance you have an opponent that is excellent at poking you out of your Red Slide - great! Use EX Red Dash into Up Slash (possibly down slash) and juggle them for a 27-30% reset for 1 meter and 2% damage taken, right back into a guessing-game situation.

RedRaptor has been helping the Skarlet community for a long time now. If you don't like him on a personal level, my advice is to send him private messages. I don't care about your personal vendettas. I care about Skarlet progressing as a character.

Arguments can be made without flinging insults.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Been messing with this character for a some time now. I really like her. While I have been kind of avoiding the forums and trying to create my own play style, I find a constant mixup of slides, throws, and string pressure keeps them honest. Now, I haven't played extremely high leveled people with my Skarlet yet, as I am still learning her ins and outs (and muscle memory, which you need to learn with this character) If someone is poking after most of your strings, doing something simple as one of her safe strings into a slight backdash F43 should blow that up. If I am completely off base here I appologize. As I said, I am exploring the character on my own.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Been messing with this character for a some time now. I really like her. While I have been kind of avoiding the forums and trying to create my own play style, I find a constant mixup of slides, throws, and string pressure keeps them honest. Now, I haven't played extremely high leveled people with my Skarlet yet, as I am still learning her ins and outs (and muscle memory, which you need to learn with this character) If someone is poking after most of your strings, doing something simple as one of her safe strings into a slight backdash F43 should blow that up. If I am completely off base here I appologize. As I said, I am exploring the character on my own.
Distancing and spacing is general to the game, but can be huge for Skarlet - you can link a F4 into DF3,DB2 to a 30% reset - keep that in mind.

Side note - the nice thing about EX Red Dash is that any amount of damage is worth it to begin that launcher combo - you will always come out the other side on top in terms of damage dealt (assuming, that is, you pull off the combo ;))