What's new

Question Playing around with this character...

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
and I really like her in practice mode..but dear god couldn't NRS have given her at least 1 good string that doesn't get blown up on crouch block? Seriously?

What am I doing wrong here? Most opponents will just turtle and poke me until I do something unsafe...I can't get in reliably to get any strings going. I can use slide to get in but can't follow up.

ryublaze

Noob
1 is a good anti-air. You can also use 2 which is 2 frames slower but reaches farther. U3 for crossups and F4, 3 if you want a safe anti-air with 2 hits and good range.

Like UsedForGlue said, B1, 1, F4 hits crouch blocking opponents. I typically go for 1, 1, 2 or 1, 1, 4. (Example: 1, 1, 4, Red Dash, 1, 1, 4, Red Dash, Red Slide)

If you're at dash distance and a Dagger Toss or Down Dagger hits then you can dash in for a free blockstring.

I go for F2, 1, 2 1+2 if my opponents jumps and lands in front of me since she moves forward throughout that whole string.

Down Daggers let you fake jump-ins so when your opponent is expecting you to use a Down Dagger you can go for a jump-in punch instead.

Also from EX Red Dash you can do Up/Down Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Down Slash, (2, Red Dash, Down Slash,) dash, 2, 3, Red Slide. I leave the string in parentheses out because it tends to drop a lot online.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Thanks, I will work on mixing up my dash attacks as well (as in going into high/low/med or just stopping the dash and doing a string) this should keep my opponent honest. The character is definitely difficult from a technical stand point...so many factors affect her combos such as the corner, and height. Fun as hell to play tho. Right now I am using 1 2,1,2 ~ 2,3 dagger ~ 1,1,2 slide

any better than that for AA? Also, what are you all using to punish dive kicks?

Altaire

Noob
Standing 1 is her best AA, she takes a long while to get used to.

She takes an even longer time to get used to if you really think standing 1 is her best AA.

P.S. My first suggestion to anyone who wants to learn Skarlet: Don't take one word of advice from RedRaptor.

She takes an even longer time to get used to if you really think standing 1 is her best AA.

P.S. My first suggestion to anyone who wants to learn Skarlet: Don't take one word of advice from RedRaptor.
So what would be her best AA? Because I'm trying to learn her.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
One great advantage Skarlet has, imo, is the fact that you can cancel any combo string into up or down slash, and, it's very easy to do it.

While for some others characters, sometimes requires strictly timing on doing cancel moves, for Skarlet, seems pretty natural do it normally, inside the dial combos.

Altaire

Noob
Skarlet's best AAs are U3 and F4 3. F4 3 doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but it's easily her most consistent and even beats crossups if you're quick enough. It's extremely difficult to do this in reaction to a crossup, but if you anticipate it, you could always go for the F4 3 anyway. On block, it's completely safe and leaves you at halfscreen distance, where you still have options.

U3 is like Cage's B3, except with a much better hitbox. It's slightly slower, at 13 frames, but it also punishes jump-ins for upwards of 30% (the exact amount depending on just how good your execution is) and ends in a standing reset, after which you can spend one bar to tack on an optional 12% chip if you end in a red slide or 10% if you go into a red dash mixup. This setup also builds back 3/4 of a bar in the process. You can also end a U3 juggle in F4 3 for a fullscreen knockdown with huge advantage, or B1 F3 for a close knockdown with even more advantage, allowing you to crossup your opponent while they're grounded. Skarlet has more combo options than any character in the game.

xenogorgeous

U3 is a good AA, and I advice to use together with a air dagger, and next, a F4,3 .... easily 24% combo that create some spacing.

Altaire

Noob
One great advantage Skarlet has, imo, is the fact that you can cancel any combo string into up or down slash, and, it's very easy to do it.

While for some others characters, sometimes requires strictly timing on doing cancel moves, for Skarlet, seems pretty natural do it normally, inside the dial combos.
This is only, ONLY good in certain combos where the upslash or downslash is hit confirmable. You should NEVER do a naked downslash or upslash from a string unless it's part of a combo and there's absolutely zero risk of being punished. Upslash is only punishable by quick attacks on block (around the 10 frame or less range), but the downslash is a full combo punish for pretty much every character in the game.

I don't recommend throwing out upslashes or downslashes at all, but if you must, it should be from a red dash. ANY special cancelled from a red dash goes into active frames considerably faster, including her X-ray. Upslash is 13 frames faster from a red dash and downslash is 14 frames faster, making it ridiculous to ever throw out either attack from a standing animation. EX red dash upslash is also a reasonably safe way to punish zoning attempts. Never, EVER throw out EX red dash downslash. In fact, never throw out downslash at all. That's the sort of attack I toss in once every blue moon if I'm positive my opponent isn't looking for it, and never more often than that. Shujinkydink painted the floors with red dash downslash, and look where that got him.

xenogorgeous

Altaire

Agreed. The only purpose to use Up/Down slash separated from that, is to "bait" from safe distance, whiffing purposely to cause a reaction. Other than that, these moves should be used the way you described them.

xenogorgeous

The only advantage on down slash, is the capacity to link a up slash right next, guaranteed.
Nevertheless, is a risky move

Altaire

Noob
The only advantage on down slash, is the capacity to link a up slash right next, guaranteed.
Nevertheless, is a risky move
...What? Why would you ever link a downslash into an upslash immediately? There are a thousand better ways to combo off a downslash, for much more damage.

xenogorgeous

...What? Why would you ever link a downslash into an upslash immediately? There are a thousand better ways to combo off a downslash, for much more damage.
exactly, but, for curiosity purpose, the upslash after down slash can be done imediately, without timing delay between the moves .... just a observation I saw it during Practice session.

In MK9, you have 3 type of "timing" input during a combo : a "delayed" one, where you wait a split second to do the next move, the "right next" , where you can do it as soon as you finish the first move of the sequence, and the "delayed/right next" where you can do it automatically, or just a split second later, and still, hits .....

For the last example, Mileena's U4, followed by B1,4

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I would also have to say that RedRaptor has one of, if not the absolute, best Skarlets I have ever played against. I wouldnt let some petty squabble between he and Altaire negate any advice he has to offer.

Anyway, Looks like UsedForGlue, RedRaptor, and Altaire pretty much covered most of what goes into the character. From the other side, a shit ton of in air Down Dagger seems to give me some trouble. lol. My advice would also be to be careful with things online. Some of her blockstrings seem like they cant be poked out of online because of the slight input lag, but they, in fact, can with a solid connection.

Good Luck, Chance!

ryublaze

Noob

My first suggestion to anyone who sees Altaire: Don't take him seriously. Everywhere this guy goes he tries to start an argument with anyone he disagrees with. Just look at the CSZ forum and you'll see what I mean. I honestly don't know why he's still the CSZ moderator.

You told people to not take my advice, yet you pretty much just said the same thing I said: U3 and F4, 3 being good anti-airs.

I don't know why you wouldn't do EX Red Dash into Down Slash for more damage. It's a bit slower than Up Slash but if you react accordingly you should be able to punish the opponent. You should use Up Slash if you're trying to punish an opponent's move that recovers fast.

Also thanks Rampage, Error, Chad and Somberness for the support.

Kidigital

@KdashDigital/Raiko Digital
standing one IS a good AA. Quick start up obviously but do to short range it takes more precision. It leads into my 38% anti air combo with her. I've never seen Altaire's Skarlett but I know what works for mine...

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
standing one IS a good AA. Quick start up obviously but do to short range it takes more precision. It leads into my 38% anti air combo with her. I've never seen Altaire's Skarlett but I know what works for mine...
At this point in time I like F4 as my anti-air - easier to combo into a downslash.

What're your inputs for a 38% anti air combo starting with standing 1?