What's new

What am I supposed to do with Choke?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kano's best special move isn't upball, it isn't knives, it's Choke. Real talk.

It's the basis of his rushdown game. If more people actually understood how broken the move is in certain situations you'd understand too. Vs some characters Kano goes into situations where his risk level is 0 and the opponent enters a guessing game hoping to not get rejuggled. It's what makes Kano S tier. Not the upball, not the knives. It's his Oki game and frame traps with Choke.

I've already said too much.

Training mode more and you'll find out.
This...this!

If I'm not mistaken, both choke and air throw both don't allow techroll, and you recover fast enough to get in their face.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This...this!

If I'm not mistaken, both choke and air throw both don't allow techroll, and you recover fast enough to get in their face.
I'll have to mess around with it. I always remember coming out of the animation at the same time as my opponent is getting up. That seems much slower than the recovery on any of his other moves.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
Choke has proved to be very useful at shutting down pokes from your opponents after you hit them with a blocked B+1,1,2 string. It has a decent hit box extending well past the tip of his fingers. Decent start up which has helped me handle scorpion whenever he comes up close. But if this tool/strategy is only useful vs someone like scorp then this move wont find much use against a character with constant low pokes like Kitana. Most kitana's use low pokes into that spinning fan maneuver that leaves her at advantage. The choke could be a good answer to the cage match up, but i have yet to test it against any skilled cage players.

babalook

Noob
i think ending combos with air throw is rediculous i believe it stops tech roll and it gives shit tons of advantage( set computer to jump do air throw then jump and see how long it take for their jump to even come out, your feet will almost be on the ground by time they can jump).

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This...this!

I'm sorry, but after fairly extensive testing I have to diagree. As far as I can tell, a successful Choke leaves you on equal ground with your opponent. In fact, their wakeup moves will have priority over any attack Kano can do after a Choke. You're only safe option after a successful Choke is a jump, either away or into a crossup attempt (and even those aren't completely safe because your opponent can jump just as quickly as you can...). However, you're still on equal grounds with your opponent at that point so any advantage granted is marginal at best. Sure they can't tech roll, but if any wakeup move will beat out your offense after Chokes horrid recovery period then they really don't need to tech roll anyway. If you like to prevent tech rolls you are much better off with a JK to Airthrow, which actually does leave you enough advantage to maintain your offense.

This has just been my experience over about 8 hours of testing in practice mode vs various characters. Even characters easily pressured during wakeup gained an advantage after being hit by Choke. Anyway, if I have made some mistake or have missed some integral detail please let me know so I can cease my anti-Choke campaigne (that sounds a lot more awesome that it is...). I would like to find an excuse to use the move, but so far it's just falling short. Thanks.