What's new

West Coast Warzone Podcast Episode 2

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
The West Coast Warzone podcast returns with a new installment, featuring hAZ_King Hippo and @EGP Wonder_Chef (Third guy incoming).

Some topics include:

-WNF Recap (Will become a new weekly feature)

-AZ's WNF experience

-DTN recap

-The increasingly poor decisions of Tom Brady

-The ethics of stage picking in casuals

-Does patience win out in Injustice?

-Controlled randomness

-PL talk

-Lotta Batgirl talk

-Team Hype Skype ranking list

-Upcoming tournaments

As always, follow us on Twitter (@EGP_Wonder_Chef and @KingHippo42) and please give any suggestions or feedback. Chef will try to get an mp3 of both episodes before WNF tonight.

coolwhip

Noob
The points they raised about Trident Rush and correct decisions in fighting games are absolutely spot on. Really smart stuff by Chef. Brady's trying to play Aquaman too smart/too perfect for his own good. He concinved himself that Trident Rush is not that good and it's actually affecting his results. Plus, even if we reach a point in time where everyone punishes it (doubtful), why not use it until that happens? You think KDZ is thinking "I wish I didn't use F23 at EVO since it was going to get patched?" You do what it takes to win, even if something might not work in the future. I'm all for being ahead of the curve, but being ahead of the curve means something is actually working.

But listening to this, there are 2 things that Chef hates more than Superman: Brady and PL. While the arguments raised about their attitudes are not really debatable (he's right), going about it on and on was a bit tiresome. It was funny hearing them scramble to find who the second best Aquaman (keep in mind, they chose Theo as the best, which in fairness, there's a strong argument for) and coming up with Aquaman players who have supposedly better than Tom was a bit laughable. Stuff about PL being autistic was unnecessary, as was the amount of misleading comments about his results... He constantly gets bodied? Well, I guess you can either win a tournament or you get bodied, in which case Theo got bodied at NEC, so did Tyrant (obviously neither is true)... That's a pretty fickle line of thinking. PL went to WNF and really beat most of the players there, with the exception of SonicBoomBrad (match went to the last pixel), and Nubcakes (if we're going to get technical, PL reset the bracket before losing the next set. So they were tied a set apiece). Never mind the players he actually beat on the way. The logic is even more dumbfounding because it's literally 1 player vs. a whole scene. It's essentially a 1 vs. 15 team battle. PL would have gotten bodied if he went 1-2 or something, not if he went through a gauntlet of their players but faltered at the very end.

Criticize him for his attitude because he's a sore loser, an excuse-maker, and can be generally unbearable, but saying he gets bodied when he's almost always in top 8 is pretty odd. He was one set away from essentially beating the entire scene.

Last edited:

LEGEND

YES!
Criticize him for his attitude because he's a sore loser, an excuse-maker, and can be generally unbearable, but saying he gets bodied when he's almost always in top 8 is pretty odd. He was one set away from essentially beating the entire scene.
this is kinda the same standard Brady is in. If you tak shit you have to win otherwise you got bodied

haven't got to this part of the podcast yet so i might not totally agree with whats been said, but i think the above standard is sound

coolwhip

Noob
this is kinda the same standard Brady is in. If you tak shit you have to win otherwise you got bodied

haven't got to this part of the podcast yet so i might not totally agree with whats been said, but i think the above standard is sound
There's still a huge discrepancy in results between Brady and PL. Brady, yeah, I'm with you, if he goes 1-2 at a tournament, that's bad by anyone's standard, let alone his. And I agree that if PL talks as much shit as he does, then he's going to rightly get blown up for anything other than a win. But it's also important not to blow things out of proportion. He didn't get bodied when he went to WNF. Far from it. Standards have become ridiculous if second place is now shameful.

4x4lo8o

Noob
@KingHippo, let's plan on going to WNF again on the 5th. I'll tell Haz to get the day off, but I need you to help me get him to learn optimal combos before we bring him

As far as the stage picking in casuals thing, I think that was Bad Larry who was arguing with Haz that night. You guys covered most of the points on that, but just to clarify what my issue with that whole thing was. I main Ares, Haz mains Scorpions. That's already a bad match up for Ares, and I'm pretty sure it's actually Scorpions best match up. In any case, it's not a fun match up for me to play. Ares can't even think about throwing fireballs or teleporting and once I get in I don't have good tools to deal with his ji3/ji~tele mix up and playing on the divekick stage makes that so much worse. I have no interest in playing that match up in tournament(and I've told Haz that I'm counterpicking him next time we play in tournament) and yet every time I play Haz in casuals he doesn't just insist on playing that match up(if I try to chose another character he'll tell me not to do that because he wants to play my main, or he'll go to another character so I literally can never get match up experience with his Scorpion unless I play Ares) he insists on playing his stage. Even in the situation where we're at the stage select screen and I tell him 'hey, I don't want to play on that stage today' or 'I've got a set up on x stage that I'm messing with, can we try that one' he insists that stage doesn't matter("I can play on any stage just fine") so he should choose his stage every time in casuals. It was just complete nonsense and it made the game less fun for everyone who plays with him regularly. It was one thing when tournaments were 50/50, but every tournament is double random now.
At first it was sort of just a joking thing about how Haz always has to play his stage, but it was getting to the point where it wasn't even worth it for me to go down there to play - especially when I'm spending over an hour both ways picking everyone up and driving down there and it's so much less hassle for me to just host smaller sessions myself with the guys who live near me.

Luckily Haz seems to have gotten the hint. The other day I was playing with him and he was doing random stage because he didn't want to get yelled at.

Last edited: