What's new

West Coast Warzone Episode 3 ft. Blind Ducky

Cash

Noob
@Emperor DMS Basically it's a for sure thing that it's going to happen. It was a Valle inspired idea I'm going to kick around ideas with him and see what would be the best way to execute it. Just get ready and bring the hype

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
First of all, you people is fuckin racist ;)

Second of all, I would agree that a tournament can have buzz if we didn't just have a topic that implied that the WC has a legit problem getting people excited for a tournament that will already have some of the best players in the country.

So now we need to hype up SCR apparently because having the best players isn't enough. In that case, our only hope would to be to draw on the rivalry between the scenes. But we can't do that either since historically very few non WC guys show up, and that trend is continuing now.

Perhaps you can see why my blood bubbles a tad when the WC provided a ton of hype for NEC in the past as well as Evo, yet when we have our Wrestlemania, we have to beg other areas to show up. Now on the podcast I already named those gracious enough to show up, and they're awesome, but I cannot abide stream monsters and others suggesting that the tourney has no hype and then immediately follow with "Oh yeah I'm not going."

To sum it up, it's not that I think everyone in the world should go to this tourney or else, it's that we get shit for being "un-hype" and then aren't aided by the community when the WC has in the past.
Very well said. This couldn't be more true.

pherleece

Woolay
only 20 mins in and haven't read any comments so I'm not sure if anyone touched on anything I'm about to say.
first, REO has not been to several Breaks. i can only remember 1 he ever went to.
second, it is still too early to determine who the best MMH is.
lastly, im getting tired of all the tom hate. you spent much of the last episode ripping on him and this episode right in the beginning you seem to bring him up again. move on. and in the last episode you guys were saying you don't consider him a top player? he has been more successful in MK9 and Injustice than both of you put together so it is rude saying he isnt a top player.
oh when chef was listing the new people and he said carl, and then hippo made a lame attempt at a joke saying "the Carl" just left me shaking my head. level up your jokes. obviously its not PL and yes im still hating on hippo for talking shit about me and claude when he doesn't even know us and i mentioned this in the EP2 thread and he didnt respond to that statement cause I'm assuming he realized what a douche he was being and now doesn't know what to say.

also 10/10 on the guest selection

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sup @KingHippo -- so as far as 'Community Engineer':

As a lot of people know, I am traveling almost constantly and therefore can't make a lot of tournaments. For example, I just got to Cali a few minutes ago and will be here during Kumite, will be down south during Winter Brawl, etc. But I still very much love and am passionate about the community; so I decided that if I can't make events, I'd help wherever I could in other ways.

I don't usually talk much about this stuff, because I do it to help build community -- not for props. But for example, and keeping it fairly anonymous (except in cases where the situation is already known):

-There was a Top IGAU player who was unable to attend one of 2013's big majors due to some issues with things he was owed. He wasn't going to go, and I thought that was shame, so I bought his plane ticket so that he'd be able to make it. He won.
-There was a well-known IGAU major-winning player who was nearly unable to attend EVO 2013.. He missed the deadline for registration, brackets were already finished, and he had given hope. So I contacted the Cannons and persuaded them over the course of a couple days to make an exception for him, which to their credit they did -- and he was able to make it.
-There was another well-known player at EVO 2013 who was dropped by the people who promised to pay his entry fees just before the tournament. It was a sucky situation; so I paid his fees and registered him.
-There's a good player who wasn't going to be able to attend Kumite, but has some stuff to prove; so I took care of his registration for him so that he'll be able to go and play.
- At NEC this year due to the 4G fees incurred by someone who stepped in to help with pools, it seemed like a hotel after-stream wasn't going to be possible. So I covered the rest of his fees so that everyone would be able to see all of the NEC money matches and the team tourney.
-At SCR 2013 two of the top contenders (DJT and MIT) were about to stay home and miss the tourney because of issues that came up. I thought it'd be a real shame for them to miss such a great event, so I sent them what they needed to go and register late.
-In March 2013 there was little to no info about Injustice gameplay; so I decided to send myself to PAX for 3 days and try to get everyone's questions answered (we got through a lot of them).
-At MLG in 2012 when Madzin was scheduled to travel from Germany to make the event, he was unfairly robbed of a lot of the money owed to him for winning the online tourney, and wouldn't have been able to make it. So I sent him the rest of what he needed to come, and he was able to fly.
Etc.

In general my line of thinking is this; sometimes in the FGC (and especially in our part of it) we've gotten used to complaining about things after the fact. Players that couldn't make it, conditions at the tournament that weren't favorable, streams we didn't have, decisions made by TOs etc. I'm more for trying to find/create solutions than just complaining -- because a lot of things can be prevented if you're willing to act up front.

The reason I called attention to SCR was that I'd heard from multiple people that they wouldn't be able to attend the tournament due to the fact that pools were on Friday. I knew that to have a shot at Saturday pools soon enough that people could buy plane tickets, we'd have to start the discussion well ahead of time, and get enough people to show interest in the tourney to justify moving or extending the pools. Add to this that there was a registration cap. So I started broaching the topic with Valle on TYM and on Twitter, but there was nearly complete silence here on the forums and it wasn't looking promising.

Now that we're all talking about it, it looks like it's going to happen.. But if we didn't do anything, likely it'd be another tourney with the NRS community complaining afterwards about how we wished more players could make it, but the pools schedule prevented them from being there or not breaking the cap created issues for us at future tournies.

It's convenient to blow people up for not being able to make events, and while I understand, I have tried to help enable others to make it when I can't go. Basically, building bridges or opening up opportunities for other people makes me happy. As a fan, I just want each event to be as big and hype-filled as it can be.

I'm here to help. Anyone that knows me knows that you can call me anytime -- and if you come to me with a solid issue, I'll try to help you out.

So, I know that was long and speechy -- but that's the deal. I love you guys.

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
I'm pretty sure the Arizona scene is actually closer to SoCal than the NorCal scene is

The reason I called attention to SCR was that I'd heard from multiple people that they wouldn't be able to attend the tournament due to the fact that pools were on Friday. I knew that to have a shot at Saturday pools soon enough that people could buy plane tickets, we'd have to start the discussion well ahead of time, and get enough people to show interest in the tourney to justify moving or extending the pools. Add to this that there was a registration cap. So I started broaching the topic with Valle on TYM and on Twitter, but there was nearly complete silence here on the forums and it wasn't looking promising

I think that problem with thread was that to the people it was aimed at it felt like a blow up(and not the kind that was good or hype) rather than something that was encouraging them to address a problem. It was like "oh, cool, now we're on blast and have to talk a bunch of shit and manufacture hype to satisfy a bunch of dudes on the East Coast who aren't coming to our tournament anyway." It was almost offensive

On top of that, I feel like the thread possibly could have actually hurt SCR, especially since it was front paged. How many people are going to see that title and think 'oh, that tournaments probably going to suck'? I know your thread didn't mean it that way, but poor promotion can be indication of a poorly run tournament. Look at DtN - that tournament was poorly promoted, I saw local players on here saying they had no idea it was happening and I know I as a stream monster didn't know it was happening until the day of. By most accounts it was also just a shitty tournament in general. Those kinds of things go hand in hand. And people know that, even if they don't think about it consciously.
So when you have a front page post about there being something wrong with West Coast players and they don't promote their tournaments, NOBODY is going to see that and think that maybe they should go to SCR.

Luckily it seems like it turned out well - you got Valle's attention and pools got moved - but you have to understand why some of us were upset when we saw that thread.

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
Oh man, the Shrinky Dink story from SCR... I forgot about that. Me and Mr. E were gone getting food when they showed up, so I walked into my own room and immediately hear "Yo, you wanna money match Shrinky Dink?" from some drunk dudes I'd never seen before.
They were super hype about Quan Chi. I never figured out why, but while @STB Shujinkydink was mm'ing Ducky they kept yelling 'he got that looong dick'. Mr. E and I still randomly yell that at each other when we play MK9

Man, I can't wait for SCR again. SCR last year was easily the best major I've been to.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm pretty sure the Arizona scene is actually closer to SoCal than the NorCal scene is
So when you have a front page post about there being something wrong with West Coast players and they don't promote their tournaments, NOBODY is going to see that and think that maybe they should go to SCR.

Luckily it seems like it turned out well - you got Valle's attention and pools got moved - but you have to understand why some of us were upset when we saw that thread.
I hear you. It was never intended to be a front page post though (and I didn't frontpage it). I'd have called something else if it was.

I'd brought it up 3 times previously, and posted it on the TYM twitter as well.. And it was crickets. But when this thread went up everyone was talking about it within the hour and it turned into a really constructive discussion very quickly.. So sometimes it seems like that kind of thing is the only thing people respond to.

Cash

Noob
Dude had no idea that @CrimsonShadow did all of that good stuff! I'm from so cal and not really a vocal member of the community but I do support. I go to all WNF and most local tournaments and even put a team and sponsorship to get some of our players to majors such as NEC! While it may have been a tad premature I definitely feel it was helpful! I'd like to thank him and @Emperor DMS for raising awareness when our scene didn't! Yeah it's a month away but since I've taken the role as a manger I know the struggle of travel arrangements and that advanced hype does make players motivated to come to the event! Look at all the positive things that have transpired since that thread. We've had more pre regs, call outs to build hype and pools changed as well as a 3v3! Plus it inspired one of the class acts of the community @AK Reno_Racks to get one of his AK guys to so cal! I highly doubt any of those things would have transpired if these threads didn't happen. I can't speak for the rest of the west coast but I can speak for myself and I want to say thanks for lighting the fire. It has led me to collaborating with Alex Valle in putting some stuff together for the event including a salty suite for us (more on that soon) . So we can sit here and trash the threads or we can take it for the positives that have sprung from them!

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Oh man, the Shrinky Dink story from SC..., I forgot about that. Me and Mr. E were gone getting food when they showed up, so I walked into my own room and immediately hear "Yo, you wanna money match Shrinky Dink?" from some drunk dudes I'd never seen before.
They were super hype about Quan Chi. I never figured out why, but while @STB Shujinkydink was mm'ing Ducky they kept yelling 'he got that looong dick'. Mr. E and I still randomly yell that at each other when we play MK9

Man, I can't wait for SCR again. SCR last year was easily the best major I've been to.

LOL!

He got dat loooooong dick son!!! I totally forgot about that. That was too good

pherleece

Woolay
i have more to say about this episode but i feel like no one cares because i havent had a response since i commented on their first episode. i may seem like im coming off like a dick sometimes but im just trying to provide constructive criticism for you guys.. but its like you guys dont even look at this thread to see the feedback. @EGP Wonder_Chef @KingHippo

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
i have more to say about this episode but i feel like no one cares because i havent had a response since i commented on their first episode. i may seem like im coming off like a dick sometimes but im just trying to provide constructive criticism for you guys.. but its like you guys dont even look at this thread to see the feedback. @EGP Wonder_Chef @KingHippo
I'm here ;-; ASK ME QUESTIONS even though it's not my podcast but whatever.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
This podcast was great, unlike the previous one.
hippo and chef are great, but they need to add some1 that just likes to talk shit out their ass.
too much feeling from ducky, but that's better than two serious guy talking about how EC regionals are locals.
warzone needs ducky or some1 with his qualities(if you can call it that) to be more entertaining.

pherleece

Woolay
This podcast was great, unlike the previous one.
hippo and chef are great, but they need to add some1 that just likes to talk shit out their ass.
too much feeling from ducky, but that's better than two serious guy talking about how EC regionals are locals.
warzone needs ducky or some1 with his qualities(if you can call it that) to be more entertaining.
i can do it :joker:

4x4lo8o

Noob
Do you really expect one of them to respond when each time a podcast comes out you come into the thread to announce that you're still salty about some drama with @KingHippo a year and a half ago? No one wants to retread that

Both of them read this thread and take into account the feedback. Look at the shift from the last podcast to this one. They just don't feel the need to post a response to every criticism anyone voices

Also, note the title of the podcast and which coast you live on

pherleece

Woolay
Do you really expect one of them to respond when each time a podcast comes out you come into the thread to announce that you're still salty about some drama with @KingHippo a year and a half ago? No one wants to retread that

Both of them read this thread and take into account the feedback. Look at the shift from the last podcast to this one. They just don't feel the need to post a response to every criticism anyone voices

Also, note the title of the podcast and which coast you live on
ok well the joker face i used was supposed to be like a Kappa face cause I'm obviously on the East Coast so thanks for pointing that out.

and im actually not that salty about old king hippo drama, its more about how many members like to talk shit without backing it up with anything which is a problem on this site anyway. like last week @haketh said something about me without knowing anything about me and i called him out on it. guess what happened, we talked it out and now we are buddies and will grab a drink the next tournament we are in. NO ONE responded to me like you cause i wasnt talking to anyone else but @haketh. also people respond to KTP like i respond here so whats the big deal to have to even reply to me when i wasnt even talking to you.

Im sorry that you look down at me since im not a "top player" cause most people on here talk about drama that happened 2-3 years ago but it isnt a problem cause they broadcast it to EVERYONE on the site and it gets front paged sometimes. I simply just kept it low key, i could of make a call out thread like everyone is doing but that's not what i am about.

did you even think to as why i'm even mentioning the old @KingHippo drama? or are you just the kind of person who replies to people just to reply rather than to understand whats going on? i believe the west coast should have their own podcast and coincidentally hippo is a part of this and since i can only relate him to our past drama. i mentioned it cause i would assume since he doesn't know me or @G4S Claude VonStroke personally, that he would just be like "i was randomly talking shit and didn't mean any of it, my bad" and that would of been the end of it. you can ask @haketh how easy it was to squash the drama. i support this podcast and listen to the whole thing every week and plan to do so for now on. i like @EGP Wonder_Chef and i just have the one issue with @KingHippo which that big of deal since it is easily fixable cause other than that i cant say i hate him cause i dont know him.

so mr lo8o, i don't know you or have anything against you so please don't be like most people here and respond on behalf of others and if you do wanna butt in when you have nothing to do with the situation, you can at least act more polite and ask me whats going on before responding just to respond.

the last thing i wanna say about this episode though is when you guys were talking about how @Tim Static was telling ducky he could be banned for using the word "[ban incoming]" and then my buddy @KingHippo said "didn't you read MK Server Trash, what a HIPPOcrite!" well even if he uses the word every single day, you cant blame him for enforcing the rules of TYM. using the word privately is ok, who cares, but when you use it in a public forum, its not cool cause there can be users who takes offense to it.

if @EGP Wonder_Chef and @KingHippo dont want to hear what i have to say then fine, but as i said in the past, even if i seem like im coming off like a dick, im just trying to support and give constructive criticism but no one should assume i am a dick and automatically respond like a dick back to me (like @4x4lo8o did) cause you can ask anyone who has met me, im not a dick. i try and support the community like everyone else.

oh @4x4lo8o, also i dont need a response from @EGP Wonder_Chef or @KingHippo every time i write something in their thread so once again please stop assuming shit, a simple "like" would at least suffice. like right now @EGP Wonder_Chef can just reply "thanks for supporting the show and sharing your opinion" and thats fine. i dont need a articulate response to everything i say.

4x4lo8o

Noob
That quip about coasts was a joke, I meant to imply they don't care about your opinion because you're not West Coast.

Look back at the previous threads. Hippo has barely responded to anything, I think the sole response he's given to anyone was the one earlier in this thread clarifying for someone who misunderstood an argument he made on the podcast. Chef has been a lot more active in the threads but hasn't been responding to or acknowledging all the other people who have offered criticism or advice. Maybe the KTP guys are really active about interacting with their viewers and that's great, but WCW isn't trying to carbon copy KTP. It's ok for them to have a different format and different approach to interaction with their listeners.

I don't think anything I said was being a dick or hostile and you blew what I said way out of proportion. The language I used was pretty calm and non-inflamatory. I didn't use any name calling or say anything about top players. I just intended to clarify what seemed to me like the obvious reason you weren't getting a response. You keep bringing up your beef with Hippo, it appears(maybe it's not, but that's how it comes across) that getting some sort of response about that(rather than the podcast itself) is your main motivation for posting, and that's not something either them feels like addressing(either by apologizing or by starting it up again)