What's new

**WEEK 5** STBL Show questions Thread!!

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
**WEEK 5** STBL Show questions Thread!!

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1
Hello everyone... thank you all for watching and making each episode a success.

Week 5's show will be next Sunday June 5th. We are going to schedule to start at 7pm pacific, 10pm eastern again.

Please post all your questions here to make it easier for us to find during the show. Also keep the character specific questions related to the 3 characters listed below. General questions are always welcome... Thanks

Week 5 character Lineup:
1. Shang Tsung
2. Quan Chi
3. Lui Kang

Order of events:
1. Coverage of all question threads (mku/tym/srk)
2. Character specific strategy and tips with live or previously recorded game play
3. Open questions from our live viewers.

Shang Tsung:

1. How should I spend my meter with Shang? So far I only use ex ground fireskull for combos and the rest for breakers. Should I use EX soul steal more? I've seen Alex Valle use EX straight for chip damage / push opponent in the corner. But is it worth 1 bar?

2. Got any tips on the Cyber Sub and Raiden matchups? Seems they can easily avoid Shang's zoning game with their greater mobility.

3. Some people say Smoke also has a big advantage over Shang (because of shake and the fast teleport). What are your thoughts on this matchup?

Quan Chi:

1. With Rune Trap gone, what will be Quan Chi's new game plan? He seemed to rely a lot on that glitch.

My first question is: why is there only 3 characters in the list? =)
The last 2 shows were more than 3 hours long lol. At first 4 characters per week was reasonable because we were only like 25 viewers. But then the show became more popular so more people asked a lot more questions. Naturally, that ended up extending the show a few more hours. Plus depending on how popular the character is, it can take longer (they spent a whole hour talking about Kitana last week) I think 3 characters per show is still good.

RoBoBOBR

evil beaver
That's reasonable, thank you ) Oh, quick question about KL infinite – will it be fixed in major patch, or in later hotfix?

I'll throw in another general question – will we get any videos from GMMA tournament?

liu kang

LIU KANG

1.What is liu kangs best wake-up options?
2.I find liu kang to have a decent zoning game with low/high fireballs and
using his uppercut as an anti air, whats your opinion on his zoning game?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sleepy

Noob
JADE:

Enjoyed your in depth on Kitana on a recent episode, Caught allot of people with that trap set up using the EX Fan Lift's 10 second frame advantage.

Now, On to Jade...

Was wondering if you could go over anything as far as advanced mix ups or trap set ups with her. I stay using her Shadow Flash at optimum times, So I am aware that this is a big part of her game. I'm sure you got a few other things to recommend, As far as Jade's overall strategy.

Also, Which of Jade's wake ups are invincible? ( Frame counts exc. )

Is there any particular bad match ups for Jade in your opinion?

Can you explain her pressure game on offense, And what do you suggest as far as getting her out of lockdown mix ups and pressure situations.

Which midscreen, Corner and anti OTG combos do you consider her BnB's?

And... Anything you could add that's maybe not so commonly known as far as Jade's advanced strategy would be appreciated.

Thank you kind sir. :)

Shang Tsung:
Should I be ending all my combos with soul steal, or is soul steal really just a more situational thing to use at your own discretion?

How should you go about approaching the Ermac and Scorpion matchup?

Quan-Chi:
How should you get off the ground as Quan? I know you can use the sky drop but i usually get knocked out of it, so does that leave us with a single shitty invincible wakeup and blocking?

Should Quan be played primarily as a rushdown character, or does he have alternative playstyles that work for him whether it's throughout the whole match or situational just for a moment within a round?

With the rune trap gone, should you be using almost all your meter on EX trance to keep them empty on meter?

Are there any setups or even just flat out times to use Quan's Damage/Heath Boost? because you can't do it while somebody is in trance, or link it from any moves it seems like a completely useless move against a competent player, and yet I feel like NRS intended it to be a big part of Quan's game.

General:
Which characters in this game can lock the opponent down, whether that's through zoning or pressure or other ways? I've noticed most of the characters I've liked in other games have this attribute and am wondering which are comparable in MK9.

If you had to pick a character that was similar to Vega(footsie heavy) in SSF4, which would it be?

Did NRS make Shang Tsung's soul steal safe intentionally so that it would encourage him to use this move as a staple in his offense? Or can you master Shang without heavy use of soul steal?

Shang Tsung

Does he have any wake up moves ?
How do you stop the rush down ?
Can you provide a couple of setups ?
Also any options on defense against the cross up jump punch?

Thanks again great show guys !!!! :D

Shang Tsung--

Dealing with rushdowns? (I.E. Reptile, JC, LK)
Dealing with Smoke?
When to use overhead/front fireball?

Side note: When is NRS going to make Sub's ground freeze useful?

This may have been talked about a lot but when is NRS going to release frame data? As a player that has more free time in front of a computer (read at work) then free time at home in front of my Xbox the frame data would be very valuable. Wouldn't the frame data be valuable to them as well as the players. It would not be that hard to run a script using the frame data to flag infinites and get them fixed.

Shang Tsung
- 2,2,1 xx Close ground skull is what I mainly use. Is there a use for F4,3,4 except for corner combos?
- As said before, F3,4 is unsafe, but can be mad safe if you add a soulsteal at the end. Should I be able to do this on reaction to the first hit being blocked or not?
- Any risk of Shang getting an indicator for when soul steal is about to run out? Any plans for a command input to cancel the soul steal effect early? (Maybe F,D,B3 again, since no other character uses that input afaik).

Quan Chi
- I started out with Quan as my main. But after the Trance tweak making you stationary for the full duration and the rune trap gone I felt disheartened. Anything bright on the horizon?
- How are they solving runetrap? Is it by making the Rune knock down perhaps, allowing 1 set of trapping.
- Diffrent inputs for the diffrent boosts, will it happen?
- Trading projectiles with trance, should i EX Boost in that situation since it is free pretty much?

Zebster

How's my volume?
So Ed Boon mentioned that brutalities were in the works but were never finished. Did it ever get to the testing phase and if so did you test it out and what was it like?

SHANG TSUNG:

What are his best options after an ex groundskull?

Best situations to use upskull in?

LIU KANG:

Having trouble getting tiger knees to hit head level, any other tips besides practice / jump back, forward 1?

Does Liu have any good pokes or other moves I can use as a mix up other than launcher strings? What about in the corner?

Is flying kick a viable mix up tool, if so what is the best range to use it at? Can I punish any projectile attacks with it?

GENERAL:

Why does everyone keep saying "great tournament, great experience"? Is it an inside joke? Something the sponsors made you say? Can you explain why people joke about this?

When is the next time we can expect to see Tom play on stream? What and when are his next few tournaments?

Any tournament plans in store for S1lent1? If so please elaborate.

Thanks Tom and S1lent I love the show and keep up the great work!

Hates

Noob
Would it be possible to take some time to discuss universal defensive options when pressured? Facing block strings, crossups, etcetera, are there generally more intelligent ways to apply jumping forward/backward punches and kicks as strategies for defense?

Follow-up question: why is FunkPanda the most rancid piece of trash ever to lurch out of a garbage heap?

S1LENT1

Shadow Priest
Thank you guys, see you at the show tonite.

JADE:

Enjoyed your in depth on Kitana on a recent episode, Caught allot of people with that trap set up using the EX Fan Lift's 10 second frame advantage.

Now, On to Jade...

Was wondering if you could go over anything as far as advanced mix ups or trap set ups with her. I stay using her Shadow Flash at optimum times, So I am aware that this is a big part of her game. I'm sure you got a few other things to recommend, As far as Jade's overall strategy.

Also, Which of Jade's wake ups are invincible? ( Frame counts exc. )

Is there any particular bad match ups for Jade in your opinion?

Can you explain her pressure game on offense, And what do you suggest as far as getting her out of lockdown mix ups and pressure situations.

Which midscreen, Corner and anti OTG combos do you consider her BnB's?

And... Anything you could add that's maybe not so commonly known as far as Jade's advanced strategy would be appreciated.

Thank you kind sir. :)
Please read the first post. Last weeks show included Jade. Please go to the replay thread or to my stream to see the Jade coverage.

Hope its not too late:

Thank you guys, see you at the show tonite.
I don't know if its too late for questions I have a couple more if allowed. I have seen you have trouble with question due to the how people write them out. I tried to make mine fully detailed to prevent that.

1. Are there option selects in MK9 ?

I know we can't classify everyone into the following two groups but for the sake of the show and time its just a general synopsis. :D

2. Teleport Characters - I understand we should "beat the character then the player." When baiting the teleport I usually overwhelm them with Flaming Skullz then fake throwing them by performing the motion, but its not always successful, What are some other options to bait the teleport.

3. Non Teleport Characters - When attempting to zone Non Teleport Characters if they just walk/dash and block they seem to get through the zonning easily. As a defensive method I've made an attempt to walk backwards to try and keep zoning, but then I get stuck in the corner.

3.1 Do you have any other zoning options?
3.2 When do you attack someone breaking the zone?
3.3 What are some of your favorite mixups with Shang Tsung

4. Crossup Defense - During mixups I've notice that if you jump straight up and punch you can send the opposing character into a juggle.

4.1 What are your thoughts on that scenario?
4.2 Will that work against high level gamers?
4.3 What other options would you recommend for Crossup Defense

5. Shang Tsungs Xray - Also I dont know if this has been mentioned, but you can duck Shang Tsung's X-ray even without blocking. I know that when you perform the X-ray its classified as a high hit. Jade's and Ermac's X-ray is also classified as high hit, but can't be ducked. I think that Ermac's X-ray really resembles Shang Tsung's X-ray in many ways. Is this something NRS overlooked or intentionally created. Just wondering, either way we'll adapt lol.

Tournament questions - you don't have to ask these if you don't have the time.

Will you guys be at ECT ?

It is going to be my first tournament any advice ?

I'm an Xbox player should I convert to PS3 I noticed a lot of the tournaments say bring your own PS3 controllers.

Is there a difference in the game between PS3 and Xbox besides Kratos?

Great show guys keep up the good work.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I won't be able to make this weeks pre-show, sorry guys. My PIC will be fine by himself though!

REO

Undead
1) Is Quan Chi one of the most meter dependant characters in the game?

2) With Quan Chi do you prefer to win games with uppercuts or jabs?

3) Why are Quan Chi's wake-up options so god-like?

4) When you get interrupted out of B+3,1+2 constantly, do you give it up or do you still try to gimmick your opponent to death?