What's new

Week 2: Zatanna thoughts?

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Greetings comrades and comradettes. I have a slight dilemma trying to figure out if I should just go all in and get Zatanna. Part of this is because I know not of what to make of her yet based on many changes of heart and word of mouth from the community.

What are your thoughts guys? How is she? What kind of style does she excel being played at? Which characters don't allow her to play her game? etc. etc.

After procuring the Hunter of Martian Mannity, I aim to purchase two more DLC characters in tandem. Here are where my thoughts lie matter:

I could get the duo of Batgirl and Zod. Batgirl because I like pissing people off with vortexes, and she's actually a great DLC character. Plus I've been feeling various degrees of hemorrhoidal discomfort, so it's only fitting to get a character that's also a pain in the ass, huh?

And Zod, not to play as. Lol heavens, no. But to learn how to fight against him. Pig cannot escape me forever, and when the time comes, Zod will kneel. So where then does Zatanna fit in?

True to TYM form, proclamations of 'OP' an 'immediate nerfs' were made with regards to Zatanna HALF WAY through day 1. It's no secret that this isn't the case, with even pro players shunning her on stream at summer jam due to her awkwardnessologyism. But I STILL want to try and use her... I dunno....she just seems cool. But due to the fact that the MMH and Zatanna have a helluva lot of special moves, and my general lack of time, I would rather delve deep into one or two DLC characters as opposed to eventually abandoning one like I did with Lobotomy.

Is there no one that can convince me otherwise? Is Zatanna doomed to obscurity?

It's been a week, and from what I've heard, DLC wise Zatanna's more like a bowl of Lucky charms whereas Martian Manhunter is like a Snickers bar, you know? Snickers gets the job done, satiating hunger with its caramelly goodness, giving you 50/50 nuts or chocolate options in your mouth. Zatanna is more like the cereal in the fact that before you can even eat, you have to have a bowl ready, your utensil, and then you have to put in the milk. You have to watch for spillage when you eat, meaning that your hand to bowl execution must be on point, and sometimes the crunch is a little to loud to hear videos you may be watching on YouTube, causing the snack to take more skill to eat. And while some may call Zatanna an attractive character, it is in fact Martian Man Hunter that may cause you to play the game with one hand if to were to land your gaze at his exposurosity. Aside from the promiscuous Doomsday, no other characters are topless. These are pivotal points we must consider. When eating lucky charms, you must use at least two hands or more, further causing me to have reservations about buying the character Zatanna.

I'd like to hear what the Zatanna boards feel about her, now that while it's still early, a week has passed. I may very well either purchase her or Batgirl at this point. MMH is a lock now after you guys had expressed such in prior threads.

R4DI04CTIV878

Home Skillet
still very frustrating. I tried to give her a chance, but it's not fun losing for almost a week now because her combos drop so much.

Every time I think of purchasing her I remember the Zyphox vs REO/ KDZ vs REO/ any match with REO's Manhunter and how even with a pixel left, the orbs and smart pillars cause sweet comebacks.

Every time I think of purchasing her I remember seeing Batgirl's 50% corner combos, the vortexes (my main plays almost like her) and I'm a coin collector*. As such I like coin flip characters like Batgirl

Every time I think of purchasing her I think of how I can use Zod as a training dummy. I can analyse his stuff and make the already free general even free-er. (Pig has no reason to come in here and see this so I fear no retaliation ;)

I already have Lobo.

Lol Scorpion.

So this leaves me with Zatanna. For some reason I JUST want to try her you know? But I....I don't see how she's emerged past being potentially good in practice mode/theory. And the non MB puppet doesn't work ONLINE?!?!!?
Personally, I'd choose Batgirl over Zatanna any day. I just find fast characters better for me.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
This is what people get for requesting a character that doesn't fit in the game.

Where were the pitchforks and torches for scorpion? I don't remember those....XD (And I'm playing dawg, I really can't make it any more clear)

A27Alak

Casual Fighter
I spent an hour playing with her in practice mode, and I still feel like I'm terrible. I have to say, though, the second wave of DLC characters (MMH and Zee) are a heck of a lot better than all four of the Season Pass characters.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
ive run into some good Zatanna's online who give my Zod trouble or even beat me she seems really good but im not a fan of her style in the game

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
Still bad. but fun to troll with sometimes...
That's about it. Not viable in the least.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
What are your thoughts guys? How is she? What kind of style does she excel being played at? Which characters don't allow her to play her game? etc. etc.

it's hard to initiate with her with a jump, her bad MU's are vs rushdown characters but she can still make good combos and good resets, check my new thread on zatanna forum.U will see all of her possibilities

her trait make 5%+ damage in block
her F2,1 is 19 on hit

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
People on this site seem to dismiss characters after cursory glances so, it's no surprise that most of these replies are about how shit tier Zatanna is. Don't believe the hype is all I'm going to say. Practically everyone is viable in this game. Look at what Revolver did with Lex at Summer Jams, and how long has Lex been scoffed at? You see my point.

Zatanna is all about misdirection and set ups with access to high damage either through levitate cancel damage or her many special setups. Contrary to what people try and use Hat stance for, it's better served using up close/mid for combos. Her teleport can be meter burned and helps to compensate for her short ranged normals.

IMO she's fun but pretty bad. I think in 2D fighters, the most important aspects in characters are strings and range they can attack, he's bad at both. T-Rex arms and slow strings don't help her and she's probably going to get her gimmicks figured out soon. She depends on a lot of meter to get her damage and escapes, her trait movement is really bad and she can be taken out of it quickly.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
if she gets better startups then i think she will be ok
Yeah that's probably one of her weakest areas is that she has trouble initiating outright through string pressure and without meter. She excels more at baiting and punishing than outright 50/50 initial rushdown pressure.