What's new

Week 1 Impressions? A mini review

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just curious how you guys all feel about the game within the first week of release. Some people haven't gotten to play it much, others have played it a lot, and some just now got it like the UK guys.

For me, I'm absolutely loving the game. This is by far the most fun new fighting game I've played in I don't know how long. Learning everything from scratch in this game is just a great experience. Every character is so uniquely different from one another. There's only a few universal similarities between them. Such as everyone has a universal anti-air d2, which is reminiscent of MK's uppercut, and everyone has a sweep d3. However, the properties are very different for these moves for every character.

The game does take some getting used to, however. It plays almost nothing like ANY fighting game I've played. It plays like a bunch of different fighters with it's own unique flavor. You can't play the game like you play MK, SF, Marvel, or any other game. You have to play Injustice, like Injustice. So at the beginning, you may not like it because it will feel unfamiliar to you. It is a fighting game, but your past experience doesn't matter all that much. It obviously does have an impact on how quickly you learn the game though.

For some people, it may seem "sluggish" or slow in some regard. The walk speed is really slow, the dashes go far, moves seemingly have a lot of recovery, and the dial chain combos make the game feel like you have to input everything at once then just watch it happen. So I can understand where you're coming from when you say that game may feel clunky to you. You don't feel "in control" because a lot of moves don't necessarily happen when you press them.

However, that just how it feels at first. Once you get a better understanding of the entire system, which I still haven't fully grasped because I'm still learning, but of what I do know, it does change things. And once you get a feel of the flow of the game, and get used to it more, you won't think it's as sluggish as you did originally. I know that sounds naive and that I'm just saying that, but I was one of the first people to post my impressions of the game with the demo, and they weren't very positive at first.

This is something that happens. When a new game of a certain genre comes out, and it's different in a fundamental way than anything you're used to, you'll be very turned off at first. The only point of reference you have is your experience with other fighting games, so it's only logical that you would compare it to those games even if you're not doing it outloud. "In this game, throws behave this way for these reasons. In this other game, throws are dumb because they don't behave that same way and the reasons are unknown to me". That's maybe an oversimplified example, but I think you get my point.

There's so much to learn in Injustice. It's a game that it's relatively easy to get into, but mastering it is hard and will take a lot of time. There's some scrubby mechanics, but there's also non scrub friendly mechanics. For example you can't mash out reversals or wake-up attacks. You have to actually time them correctly if you want them to work. This is something even the OG's aren't used to anymore. The newer games have dumbed down our gameplay! Zoning is strong, but rushdown is equally as strong. There's not a traditional footsie game, but there is footsies they're just a little different.

Overall, I would say give the game time. Don't play it a few times and immediately dismiss it because it's not how you want it to be or that you don't like it at first. It's not like other fighters, it IS unique and different, so don't expect to be able to do well by playing it like other games. Have an open mind about it and give the game a LEGIT chance, this means longer than a week. Really try and have a good time and learn the game, the game is awesome.

9/10

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I can tell there's going to be some really shit match-ups with the tools certain characters have right now.

The game is incredibly fun, probably one of my favorites already in the sparse time I've been able to actually play it. The spacing is great if not annoying against characters who shut footsies down(at this stage of the game) but I think it will be solved through player ingenuity.

Since it's entirely unique on its own it definitely will take time to adjust to but with all the hype surrounding the game I think it will be worth the experience of learning.

PS3 port needs buffs though.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think this game is easier to pick up and play than MK9. Before yesterday I only really got to play it at a demo tournament on stick, but going through all my ideas on pad is fun.

I'm probably lucky considering the first character I played suits my style really well. WW seems to play a lot like a combo of my Kl, Kenshi And Cage so it's all good

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah this was a pretty natural transition from MK9 for me as well. I'm still learning characters, but the input and combo systems being familiar means that you can just get in and focus on the characters and their tools instead of worrying about getting a double reverse shoryuken or EWGF input out on reaction.

It's addictive, and the salt levels are extremely high. I think it will evolve a lot as people start to use all of the mechanics. Right now, it seems everyone is around 40%-60%.. Once everyone is using pushblock, floor bounces (instead of just wall bounces), FADC, bounce cancels, backdash invincibility, and making full use of their traits, etc. everything will go up another notch.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Region locked, graphics slightly downgraded. I hear the loading time isn't as good.

Sony thought making Dev life hell was smart.
To be fair the PS2 was harder to develop for than the PS3, and pretty much any console within the last 15 years, but then the PS2 didn't exactly hit the shelves at $600 and drive everyone to the very console platform they were originally talking shit about.

NRS just figures taking the time to take the region lock off and fine tuning intercontinental matchmaking to work on PS3 isn't exactly gonna rake in a whole wad of cash I guess.

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
To be fair the PS2 was harder to develop for than the PS3, and pretty much any console within the last 15 years, but then the PS2 didn't exactly hit the shelves at $600 and drive everyone to the very console platform they were originally talking shit about.

NRS just figures taking the time to take the region lock off and fine tuning intercontinental matchmaking to work on PS3 isn't exactly gonna rake in a whole wad of cash I guess.
I actually didn't know that about the PS2, valid points though. Would be nice to be able to play with my friends in the EU though. :(

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I'm enjoying it so far, imported the battle edition from the US so I've had it a few days now. Superman will probably be an early main choice, can't comment too much on the intricacies of the systems but it does feel different from MK9 to me in some key ways. The only thing I really don't like so far is how the jumps feel, they just feel off somehow, like I don't have enough control.

I enjoy everything about the game accept cyborg inputs for his grappling hook, and THANK GAWD the online is > mk9.

colt change the input for cyborg grappling hook to make it more accessible for pad players and this will be my favorite FG after mk9!

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Absolutely loving it so far. Got a long way to go though, this thing feels like it's gonna be insanely hard to master, hell I feel like I haven't even started properly yet. My only problems are:

1) The GODDAMN input bug. Seriously, man. Thought they would have sorted that out by now.

2) The timing on certain combos is so damn strict. Not sure if I can label that as a fault, but it annoys me.

3) Deathstroke scrubs.

Overall though, this is my favourite fighting game right now, if not my favourite fighting game of all time.

Im enjoying the game and starting to get used to it. The only thing that is giving me a hard time is stuff like really awkward input that you always have to think about before inputting. For example, catwomans b1,2,down3 or ravens f2,2,up1.

I'm really liking it so far, and yeah the game seems to be such a weird combination of 2D and 3D that I get confused and feel the need to test everything out. The bufferable strings and duckable highs put me in 3D mode, and then I start thinking you can duck normal throws and can't be command grabbed out of startup frames. But then I realize no wait, it follows mostly 2D rules, and then start trying to combo into command grabs and remember that's only really KoF. Definitely takes some getting used to.

Maybe it will change, but so far I think NRS has done an excellent job of balancing the meter and super move mechanics. There are just too many great uses for meter that I can't see supers being used in high level play once everyone has had a chance to break down the game, and yet the more casual players still get their crazy cinematic stuff to play with.

I do think the game would've been better off with a KoF-like run mechanic, however. Something about the pace of the game when you actually get in or are playing full-screen makes me feel that you should be able to close up the gap easier or perform faster rushdown with proper openings. Some people have seemingly very quick dashes anyway, such as Nightwing, so the run in that case would only serve to make the game feel more fluid.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
My big fighting game was Marvel 3 and UMVC3 with a lot of casual time before that on just about every fighter ever put out since I just sort of casual collected and played, but I fell out and went straight to KoF and just sort of poked through MK9. To put it in perspective since I had Kamen Rider Super Climax Heroes on PSP which was portable I'd say I actually played THAT more than MK9. Thats how little MK9 experience I had.

That said I come from a very different breed of fighting games than this one. Very little of what I do transferred over...how do I feel in this game?

I feel great! Its not like anything I've played. It has its own feel and flavor for both combos, movement, offense, and defense. Its a hybrid of several things I've seen with a lot of new things. There are strings and combos that utilize hopping and jumping a lot to keep them going which is fun for me as an Ironfist player and as a Kamen Rider Skull player (shut up. Kamen Rider is fun if broken tier). There are tons of things to do with strings like in DOA that are awesome but unlike that there are specials and bounce moves and stage interactibles to throw in between strings to create juggles and unique property links between moves. Like Blaz Blue each character has their own unique power trait to use, and like SF IV there are EX moves that are enhanced takes on normal specials that change meter can combo strategies. There will be some gimmicks that absolutely wreck matchups (Doomsday vs Deathstroke lulz) but even with that I'd still say your losses will feel more fair than Marvel given the bullshit assist setups and lockdown in that game.

This game feels super easy to transition into for me. Its got a way smaller learning curve to its mechanics than any other fighter I've played and its combos feel really easy to start putting together. I think it will likely be the easiest fighter for folks to create BnB's and some setups for that I've played and that means folks can start getting right into the really deep stuff early on of matchups, movement, and setups.

Game feels great to me. Its got its few problems. The models are hit or miss on certain characters and I wish hitsparks were more noticeable, but thats just the artist in me whining and is a matter of taste.

9/10

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/injustice-review-topic.30133/

Mannn....I made this topic a few days ago and got no replies. lol

Whatevs. Anywho, can't type much atm. I like Injustice. However, I really can't get into the characters of this game like I could with the ones in MK9. I understand it's a completely different game, but I just don't have as much fun picking up a character and learning him/her. I dunno. MK9 still remains my favorite fighter as of now. This may change once I actually start playing Injustice with other people (won't be till after semester is done).

McNasty

Moist.
I think this game is easier to pick up and play than MK9. Before yesterday I only really got to play it at a demo tournament on stick, but going through all my ideas on pad is fun.

I'm probably lucky considering the first character I played suits my style really well. WW seems to play a lot like a combo of my Kl, Kenshi And Cage so it's all good
Bird WW could be very very good.

Im loving this game just for the challenge it has been for me to get used to traditional controls and sheer amount of options each character has. I cant wait till more match ups are fleshed out should be good times!

NOT TO MENTION HOW STRAIGHT UP FUN IT IS!

I've only really played through the story mode and a couple star lab missions, finally able to hold casuals today, but the game has felt extremely slow to me. This impression changed for me when i watched Pig Of The Hut 's stream, so i want to see how to play at that faster pace, but i know that because i've been so busy (and because i've been completely absorbed in bioshock3 when i do have free time) everyone's basically 3 weeks ahead of me (because i didnt pirate it).
That being said, here are my impressions:
The menu screen menus are subdivided brilliantly. I really love them. I love love love love love that practice is the FIRST option int he training menu not the 3rd.
The tutorial is amazing and you should all play it. There's things in it that noone is doing even though they're some of the more important gameplay differences with this game. E.G. reversal attacks.
The story mode is too limited. I literally didnt (and still havent) play a single of the 4 characters that i am interested in (cat, harley, grundy, sinestro), and the one that i did play i didnt like (GL).
Also the actual story feels really really short. I think it's technically longer than MK's but idk, i guess i wasnt really feeling it as much. I think i was hoping for the actual superman to go nuts or w/e, but the alternate universe thing was sortof a buzzkill for me.
That's all i really got so far. My impressions havent really been that great, but i'm not negatively judging the game yet because my exposure to it has been so brief. It's still going to be my secondary to MK, but the game look alright so far.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I feel like I'm going to be playing this game a really long time and also feel I have tremendous amount of work to do to get at the comfort level that i could win any match anyday any time I got to w mk9

That challenge excites me

It should also be said I haven't played or thought of mk9 in 3 weeks