What's new

We need to drop this whole "Top 5" thing.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I understand that everyone just wants to discuss who is good, but we need to stop basing it on exactly five characters.

There ARE tiers in games, and there will be a set of top tiers, but for some reason this community has decided that "In top 5" = "Top Tier" and "Not top 5" = "Not Top Tier" when this is absolutely not the case.

Let me give an example.

In SSFIV:AE three character stood on top of the rest (Fei, Yun, Yang.) Talking about a top 5 in that game would be misleading because the other 2 wouldn't be nearly as good as the top 3.

In MvC, Phoenix and Wolverine definitely stood at the top, and comparing any of the other top 5 to them wouldn't make sense.

In MK9 we might have the opposite problem, in that the top tier encompasses more than 5 characters. If not, the very top tier might consist of maybe 3 or even just 1 character, and the tier below that might be made up of extremely viable characters.

I'm not claiming to know what the exact tiers are for MK9, but I can almost guarantee that discussing "Top 5" will only breed more ignorance and confusion. I would rather people just say,

"Who are the top characters in your opinion?".

Then someone could say something like,

"I think that Kabal, Raiden, and Mileena stand a head above everyone else."

or someone else could say,

"IMO Cyrax and Kitana are the top tiers, with Jax, Kenshi, Sonya, Johnny Cage, and Quan Cheesy directly below that."

tldr; STOP BEING LAZY AND READ IT.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Ah and before you fucking say it those tier lists for the other games are just examples don't argue them, because I know someone will...

Theme

Noob
Yeah... Drop this top 5 shit. Go with the tier shits

Godlikehack Tier
S Tier
A Tier
B Tier
Shitthischaractersuck Tier.

Death

Noob
Top 5 threads are the best. So much arguing and BS goes on in those threads. lol

You have some players listing cage as top 5 then scrubby cage players quoting them saying learn to poke bro, Cage is trash.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Chef, these are all very good points, but you have to remember this is MK...people are sure that matchups above 6-4 don't exist and no character is fucked.

Top 5 threads are the best. So much arguing and BS goes on in those threads. lol

You have some players listing cage as top 5 then scrubby cage players quoting them saying learn to poke bro, Cage is trash.
Where is there anyone who has ever posted that?

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.

then you have people who get raped by cage and list them in their top 5

KRYS9984

Noob
This reminds me of a guy I played online with good stats (if they matter) who mained Johnny Cage and knew all the tricks.

As usual, I chose my main (Mileena) and pretty much bodied him every match. He then sends me a personal message saying I won because I played a broken character (Ed Boon said it himself) and there is nothing you can do to punish her enhanced telekick. I wasn't sure if this guy was shitting me so I just replied "Dude, are you serious? You play Cage, learn the match-up." Afterwards in the chat room he starts blowing me up saying "only loser play Mileena" bla, bla, bla, so I send him a personal message requesting a "no Mileena challenge" which he accepted and guess what happened..........;)

In conclusion, there might be characters in Mortal Kombat labelled "overpowered" but in the wrongs hands or against certain individuals they might not be as effective thus making the Top 5 / Match-Up chart obsolete..........in my opinion of course. :D

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
According to REO, we can't say for sure that Kabal is the best in the game. And too a certain extent, he is right.

So maybe there is no point to organising players in lists or positions at all, even MU charts don't really carry weight anymore.

Maybe, It's just the best players with their respective characters vs the same likeness...

As much as I want to believe the last sentence, when I watch Reo, CD, Maxter, it makes me believe it's a constant counter pick game to stay ahead, so does that mean MU's actually work out?

Fuck knows.

lol, "Sindel needs to be nerfed because her zoning is too good"
"Sindel isnt fair because you can never know how to block against her, nerf that bitch"

-____________-