What's new

We are getting 500,000 coins and more for free!

Kratilim

Noob
That's enough Hearts for two chests and not even enough Souls to repair the bridge in the Krypt.

It's a cause for celebration.
To be fair, afaik there's only one shao kahn chest at the end of the pit bridge, and its also behind a skeleton key door. I believe its the chest containing Kabal items.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
To be fair, afaik there's only one shao kahn chest at the end of the pit bridge, and its also behind a skeleton key door. I believe its the chest containing Kabal items.
You mean Kabal items "for you"... it could be different for someone else, right? Since it's all random.

Kratilim

Noob
You mean Kabal items "for you"... it could be different for someone else, right? Since it's all random.
Nope, the Heart coin chests are the same for everyone. Those are static, they mentioned that in the stream yesterday and this has been confirmed on reddit. So thats Kabal items for everyone.

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
Yeah this isnt cause for celebration. If anything its like a starter pack on the grind.

Im saving my praise for when they remove microtransactions and adjust the ingame economy so its aimed soley at fun.. since you know we already bought the game in the first place ;)

Snake Sound 222

Tonight, Tarkata feasts
That's actually pretty cool. The patch that's supposed to fix things like the Towers of Time still needs to be released, right?

Kal

<3
All shit, that doesn't actually fix anything. 500 hearts which are worth two personal chests, and 1000 souls which doesn't even fix the bridge yet alone the other ones that cost 3k or 10k. Just a jump start on the grind and that's it, it's hilarious how they were still vague and non transparent when it came to their design decisions. Funny how they said none of the currency (koins, hearts, souls) are purchasable with real money, did they conveniently forget time krystals?

Here boys, 500k koins now shut up and start posting positive things about us because we "listen" and our intentions weren't to make such a terrible business model.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Yeah this isnt cause for celebration. If anything its like a starter pack on the grind.

Im saving my praise for when they remove microtransactions and adjust the ingame economy so its aimed soley at fun.. since you know we already bought the game in the first place ;)
So what you're saying is....you won't ever be praising them, because they won't be doing either of those things. I'm right there with you. They needed to do some major firefighting yesterday and they basically threw a bucket of water on a towering inferno.

IDK about you guys but I still have millions of Koins from MKX. Do we really need to unlock the entire Krypt in 3 days? I enjoy the grind. Yes in this game it's way harder but those issues are being addressed. The TOT are getting nurffed and Koin and Heart rewards are being increased.

Give NRS some time this game is Bad Ass!!!

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
This game has no loot boxes guys. Just Chests with RNG prizes!

How many games have the mechanic of killing an enemy and then accessing a random loot table? Are those "loot boxes"?

Not trying to argue in bad faith. I just think it's an interesting subject.

How many games have the mechanic of killing an enemy and then accessing a random loot table? Are those "loot boxes"?

Not trying to argue in bad faith. I just think it's an interesting subject.
Not a lot really. Even in games like an RPG where you kill an enemy and the drop is RNG, its relative to that enemy. You don't kill a "common" enemy and then roll for every common item in the game, it's something specific you get from that enemy like a rat tail or rat fang if I kill a lvl 1 rat. Yes RNG exists in almost every game, but a good way to do it is like past games, where you know if you kill this specific enemy or "loot" from this enemy, there's a set rewards list that you'll roll for, not every common item imaginable in the game plus the thing you want.

Not a lot really. Even in games like an RPG where you kill an enemy and the drop is RNG, its relative to that enemy. You don't kill a "common" enemy and then roll for every common item in the game, it's something specific you get from that enemy like a rat tail or rat fang if I kill a lvl 1 rat. Yes RNG exists in almost every game, but a good way to do it is like past games, where you know if you kill this specific enemy or "loot" from this enemy, there's a set rewards list that you'll roll for, not every common item imaginable in the game plus the thing you want.
Actually depends on the game. Most RPG i played you could get any item from any enemy, like diablo or poe

mn_tercercine

Actually depends on the game. Most RPG i played you could get any item from any enemy, like diablo or poe
Yeah Diablo was the specific example in my head. They introduced a few modifiers in their "smart loot" update that take into account character level/class to a degree but even within those confines it's totally RNG.

Dungeon crawlers like Diablo or POE yeah I totally agree, but those are more in the modifier category I think. Take an item, and make RNG stat modifiers and passives, which IMO is a bit different from set items you obtain from RNG.

mn_tercercine

Dungeon crawlers like Diablo or POE yeah I totally agree, but those are more in the modifier category I think. Take an item, and make RNG stat modifiers and passives, which IMO is a bit different from set items you obtain from RNG.

Set items are still RNG in diablo. Blood Shards in D3 are functionally even more RNG than MK has, especially if the krypt doesn't give you duplicate items.

...Not that any Blizzard game is a good example for loot economy these days.

I don't think there's a perfect solution, my interest in the subject is mostly around the "packaging" of the loot.

Some games seem to be able to disguise to an "acceptable" degree what is essentially the RNG loot box mechanic that is getting so much hate in MK11 and elsewhere.

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
Is it bad that coming from Injustice 2 I much prefer the lootboxes over the nonsense that is the Krypt right now?

At least I got a lootbox for doing just about anything in that game.