What's new

Wavedashing in MK11

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So I’ve been practicing Flawless Blocks and Wavedashes in MK11. Both require precision timing, which is a good thing. Neither should be easy to do or it would make them both way too good. It takes A LOT of practice to get both down, but I wanna discuss Wavedashing.

Here’s a small clip of my wavedash training:
What I noticed is that rhythm is everything. So the best way I’ve found to do it is you press ff, blk, f, blk, f, blk repeat. If you mess up and press blk or f twice (after the initial ff), it will mess up the wavedash. Also, the f and blk have to have a kinda rhythm to them. It feels like they have to be pressed at the exact same time apart each time, but idk the exact frame science behind it.

To clarify, wavedashing is really difficult to do. There’s absolutely no reason it should be changed or worse, taken out. Even someone who has crazy execution like SonicFox isn’t able to consistently do it... yet. I think it adds depth, just like flawless block does.

Anyone else have any tips for wavedashing? It’s definitely nowhere near as easy as dash blocking in MK9 which again, I think is a good thing. I’m glad certain gameplay elements in MK11 require high execution, again, it adds depth.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I haven't practiced it as much as I should have, but with Cetrion I'm never moving forward lol. Deg has done this against me. It's tough to read because it feels like anything can happen as he approaches. I feel like it'll be common ground in the future of the game, as will FLB. The deepest mechanics take the most time to come along.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Ive fought a wavedashing Sonya and OMG that shit was ridiculous. She was flying across the screen with 50/50s but Yea i do the same FF, Block, F, Block. And if you backdash, block then forward block it works the same way, maybe even easier.

SLy

Noob
Wavedashing backwards is a thing as well. Ive seen cetrions use it well. It really helps with better movement

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
You don’t even need wave dashing as Liu, his ordinary dash blocks are very fast. Cassie doesn’t even need block

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Definitely trying to get good at this so that I can move backwards more efficiently with Frost and possibly make dash~string/throw more effective

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I've also noticed switching block to R1 or very lightly tapping r2 (not all the way in) helps a lot. Pressing r2 all the way will mess up the timing.
Yeah I have block on RB/R1, have since UMK3. It’s waay better just in general to have it on R1, but also better for wavedashing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It’s easier to do with certain characters. Out of the characters I play, Shao Kahn & Subz probably have the best/easiest wavedashes.
Yeah plus Sub’s dash is ridiculously good in general. The thing people need to realize is that wavedash isn’t just for getting in and moving quicker, it’s also the ability to move while pretty much blocking. I think regardless of who you use, you should at least practice wavedashing with them a little bit. BUT the good news is it’s not mandatory to learn in order to be successful in MK11. But it will undoubtedly help.

i fought someone who attempted wavedashing but he couldn't really pull it off lol. i wonder how good this will make erron black. wave dashing and at any point f4 can come up. this sounds scary.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
i fought someone who attempted wavedashing but he couldn't really pull it off lol. i wonder how good this will make erron black. wave dashing and at any point f4 can come up. this sounds scary.
I believe Erron's sucks. Wavedashing is only good for certain characters. The way it works is by canceling the startup frames of the dash into block. Some characters start their dashes very quickly, so wavedashing works well for them. But some characters "ramp up" or start their dash animation slowly, so their wavedashes are not good. I believe Erron is in that second category.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
The key is going to be making wavedashing as natural as holding forward and being able to react with buttons. You can't be thinking about wavedashing while doing it. That's the hardest part so far for me.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
It's definitely hard and certain characters do not have it at least certain ones have shit dashes which is good in my opinion. From what I can tell zoners have slower dash speeds compared to rushdown characters but there are a few exceptions.

I feel Erron and Kotal don't even need Wave Dash. With Kotal his dash is excellent by it's self and the fact you can cancel it with Normals is god-like. So a dash with his F24 covers almost full screen so naturally I don't need to wave dash with him but I guess it's a way to get in while blocking.

I'm glad it's in and that it is hard. Hopefully not many can do it consistently because I don't think Sonic really needs it. Once people pick up back wave dash I foresee hoards of people asking for it to be nerfed or the classic "zoning is to strong" rants.
We have dial strings and wave dash to add depth and will keep us busy for years to come.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
But how useful is it in an actual match? It looks like if you do one too many you'll get punished to hell and back and, at least to me, it doesn't look like learning this would be more important than continuing to practice tricky combos and useful setups.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Same (sortof) applies to backwalking, as it is WAAAAY faster if you don't hold back or mash backdash (and using block doesn't apply), IIRC MK9 had this too?
They're not KBD's or Wavedashes but I feel they're very interesting FG mechanics. And will probably shape the gameplay sooner than later.

Judging from some of these comments.. do people not realize the power of having this much faster movement than their opponent? Shits good and everyone should be practicing them...