What's new

Vortex Scorpion vs. Safe Scorpion

ryublaze

Noob
This has probably been discussed before...For a long time now I've been playing a safe Scorpion and not doing the 50/50's. You can either do it Check's way of 111 etc. or Slips way of vortex/void. But what about mixing the two playstyles together? When you have meter for Breaker, play a vortex/void Scorpion. When you don't, play it safe until you build the meter back up. All of Scorpion's enhanced moves besides EX Takedown usually fail me 9 times out of 10 so would it be better to save the meter for the vortex/void if you guess wrong? Idk I was just playing him like this recently and have been doing somewhat successful. What are your thoughts?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
My decision to vortex usually stems from how I landed the spear, it sounds strange, but it almost dictates what they're reaction will be and how I should follow up accordingly, rather than a braindead 50/50 attempt. I could care less about having meter to fall back on, if anything, I'm less likely to vortex if I have alot of meter. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
When I did play Scorpion I would only go for the 50/50 when I was at life disadvantage, Scorpion can play safe fairly well but you can't play completely safe with him and win IMO.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
When I did play Scorpion I would only go for the 50/50 when I was at life disadvantage, Scorpion can play safe fairly well but you can't play completely safe with him and win IMO.
Precisely. He IS the biggest risk/reward specimen in MK.
Playing both ways adds even more danger to his game, as the person fighting the Scorpion can never be certain if they're gonna get cautious and patient Hanzo, or go for the kill x1,000 Hanzo.

Fuckin' love Scorpion.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I play safe most of the time, and go for a vortex only if i have a meter to breaking in case of going wrong, but not all the time, 40% damage isin't something you'll land everytime

Gimmick

Noob
Slip's slot machine method is the only way scorpion has a chance at the highest level with the comp nowadays

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
This is a dumb thread. You have to go for it. Play it safe with what? Shit pokes?! Thats why you scorpion players get blown up. Death summarized it perfectly.

#SlotMachine
Several threads on this site are dumb. Your point? The game has been out for over a year, players should jump at any chance they get to discuss something that doesn't involve Kabal.

NariTuba

disMember
I think what Slips has been saying is that Scorp is just not able to play it safe vs the top tier at high level. His footsies are pretty bad and his safe options lead to non relevant damage. He's simply not threatening if he's not showing you he WILL throw his shit out... playing the patient / safe game vs cage, or sonya or kabal or any of the other top tiers will just get you demolished. He just doesnt have the tools.

HOWEVER, playing a scorpion that just throws shit out there continues to be a scary thing! its crazy how he changes the whole game.

ryublaze

Noob
Actually like I said in the first post it's been working somewhat successfully for me, even though I mainly play online. Just throwing out ideas here since there hasn't been much activity in the Scorpion forums lately. But I agree that playing it safely can get you blown up.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
C'mon guys, Slips said it himself that you may as well just go for the vortex and he's right. What're you going to do? Use his god awful horrendous pokes that put him -13 on hit? C'mon.

C'mon guys, Slips said it himself that you may as well just go for the vortex and he's right. What're you going to do? Use his god awful horrendous pokes that put him -13 on hit? C'mon.
Once again it's not Scorpion's low pokes that puts him behind the cast in footsies. It's the fact that his advancing normals are slow & his whiff punishers are slow & unsafe. You can also argue that he doesn't have a safe reliable special. Those are his problems. The only problem with his pokes are the advantage on hit of d3 & d4.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Just playing safe isn't going to get you very far with Scorpion. If you play Scorpion you just have to accept the fact that you are going to have to take more risks than most of the other characters in the game.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Thr problem with safe Scorpion is that he doesn't do any damage. When your playing against a characters like Cage, where all he needs is one f3...he doesn't give a fuck about 111 12% pressure. When your playing against characters like Cyrax, where all he needs is one net...he doesn't give a fuck about 12% f4~takedown. When your playing against characters like Smoke, where all he needs is one smoke bomb...he doesn't give a fuck about 15% f3.

These options don't do enough damage to be considered conditioning tools. I can hit with three or four f4 takedowns in 1 round and that won't mean they will duck the next time I get in. Nobody cares.

So when its all said and done, you just gotta go for it. There are times where if i have a big life-lead and no meter for breaker or if they have meter and I don't I might not go for it then. But ultimately, the best characters in the game can blow you up with 3 or 4 good reads a round. When its your turn to take to make the read, you cant be fuckin around with 12% bullshit. Your giving them too many chance to come back and make you rage. You gotta take the oppurtunity to blow them up.

You just gotta look at the bright side. Cyrax bomb reset is stupid. Smoke bomb reset is stupid. Jax corner reset is stupid. Cage f3 is stupid. Sonya d4 is stupid. Kabal...is stupid.

Scorpion Vortex/Void is stupid.

Death

Noob
Thr problem with safe Scorpion is that he doesn't do any damage. When your playing against a characters like Cage, where all he needs is one f3...he doesn't give a fuck about 111 12% pressure. When your playing against characters like Cyrax, where all he needs is one net...he doesn't give a fuck about 12% f4~takedown. When your playing against characters like Smoke, where all he needs is one smoke bomb...he doesn't give a fuck about 15% f3.

These options don't do enough damage to be considered conditioning tools. I can hit with three or four f4 takedowns in 1 round and that won't mean they will duck the next time I get in. Nobody cares.

So when its all said and done, you just gotta go for it. There are times where if i have a big life-lead and no meter for breaker or if they have meter and I don't I might not go for it then. But ultimately, the best characters in the game can blow you up with 3 or 4 good reads a round. When its your turn to take to make the read, you cant be fuckin around with 12% bullshit. Your giving them too many chance to come back and make you rage. You gotta take the oppurtunity to blow them up.

You just gotta look at the bright side. Cyrax bomb reset is stupid. Smoke bomb reset is stupid. Jax corner reset is stupid. Cage f3 is stupid. Sonya d4 is stupid. Kabal...is stupid.

Scorpion Vortex/Void is stupid.
Damn man no love for Sonyas D4